Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do I read mail in /var/spool/mail? Post 302265106 by Ikon on Friday 5th of December 2008 03:43:45 PM
Old 12-05-2008
the files in there are just text files.

use cat, more, less, vi....................

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

in var/spool/mail, same entry with different users....

i am on aix, in the /var/spool/mail ,i have an entry as below, after doing a ls -ltr -rw-rw---- 1 ai mail 3898 Sep 02 11:26 mei -rw-rw---- 1 root mail 22900 Nov 08 14:55 root shouldnt the ai and mei be the same just like root, root? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How safe is it to remove files(/var/spool/mail)?

How safe is it to remove these spooler mail files. I need to make some room in the /usr directory? Any ideas? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: larcom61
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can I delete the file var/spool/mail/news?

The file var/spool/mail/news has grown very large and takes up too much space. Can I delete this without any problem? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennisheazle
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can I zero var/spool/mail/mail

The mail file in the directory var/spool/mail is very large. Can I zero this (>) without losing any unopened mails there may be? There are about 10 mail accounts. Using RedHat Linux. Thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennisheazle
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/VAR/SPOOL/MAIL question

Hi, We have all the user account in a home direcory where their mail is stored and retrieved by email clients. We do however have /var/spool/mail with all the user accounts in it as well Our sendmail.cf is configured to use /var/spool/mqueue as the queue so .what is /var/spool/mail being used... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail /VAR/SPOOL/MAIL

Hi, First Question: In our company our users have their mailboxes in /var/spool/mail When I look at the users file it seems as if every email sent/received is in that user file! Is this because IMAP is being used or is that just how sendmail works? Second Question: How is that when I create... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/var/spool/mail

Hi, How can i get my mail on either /var/spool/mail or /var/mail? I use mail and sendmail command to send mail. But everytime I send mail it comes to my outlook inbox and when I check with mail command I get the message "No mail for siba". (Note siba is my user Id.) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mail is not sent, instead just coping into /var/spool/queue dir

Hi, I have some problems w/ the sendmail. I see that messages are queued in the /var/spool/mqueue and they are never sent to the recipients. This problem just suddenly started without any modifications in the current configuration. I already started and stop the sendmail and it did not help.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktanya
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mail going to /var/spool/mqueue instead of being sent

Hello, I have a bunch of cron jobs in the crontab. For some reason mail from the cron jobs started going to /var/spool/mqueue instead of being sent. Does anyone know why mail from cron jobs would go to the queue instead of being sent? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
9 Replies

10. AIX

/var/spool/mail/ issues

Hi My box is running with AIX 6100-06 and Im the root user of this box My /var gets filled up often to 100% When I investigate I find that it is the below file which increases rapidly /var/spool/mail/pdgadmin I dont know why this file is growing up. Can any one assist me on this.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
2 Replies
GZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  GZEXE(1)

NAME
gzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
gzexe [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
The gzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``gzexe /bin/cat'' it will create the following two files: -r-xr-xr-x 1 root bin 9644 Feb 11 11:16 /bin/cat -r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 24576 Nov 23 13:21 /bin/cat~ /bin/cat~ is the original file and /bin/cat is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /bin/cat~ once you are sure that /bin/cat works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), gznew(1), gzmore(1), gzcmp(1), gzforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some other utilities (tail, chmod, ln, sleep). BUGS
gzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgzip | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Committed | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gzip is available on http://opensolaris.org. GZEXE(1)