Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: What is the best practice?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting What is the best practice? Post 302264628 by BigSky on Thursday 4th of December 2008 12:08:02 PM
Old 12-04-2008
Gottcha! The light bulb turned on after I sent the post. After several hours of testing (due to VPN issues) I got it to work. Thanks again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Samba Practice

I have a dual boot machine with both "Windoze ME" and Redhat Linux 7.2. I want to know if it is possible to practice with the Samba Suite on a dual boot machine if I was able to incorporate using IP addresses. I was thinking if your able to ping yourself why wouldn't you be able to administer... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bilal_aa
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

best practice please

I have a data file that I tail and dump the data into a new file at midnight. To work I had to use tail -n2 livefile.csv >> storefile.csv. This is ging me 2 or 3 entries at a time into the storefile.csv. if I continue this then I will have to run a second pass on the file to remove the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mikey
4 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

best practice for logging options

Hi We just had an auditor tell us to formally review our logging parameters on the server and implement best practice for logging, based on a risk assessment. Phew! Before my time here, there was no reasoning behind what we chose to log or not log. Any ideas where such a "best practice"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: theonewhowas
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie Wants Hardware For Practice?

I want a cheap dedicated machine to install a flavour of unix on and try to learn this OS. I know nothing about unix, just gone out and bought some books etc. Should I just get the cheapest old laptop off Ebay to install it on? What type of unix OS should I install?...a version of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IBMPBC
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Best practice for bracket comparisons?

So, I have no formal higher education in programming at all and am self taught. I am now wondering what would be considered best practices? Like should I hard code a variable, then compare it to what I want to know or achieve, or should I just put the commands with in the brackets? Example, a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlarkin
5 Replies

6. Programming

how to practice my c++ skill

Hi all, I'v already read some basic books about c++ such as <c++ primer>,<The C++ standard library> etc.,and as we know,knowledge is easy to forget without practicing,so i wanna know some ways to practice my skill with programming.First,i know some ACM sites,however,solving problems on those sites... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: homeboy
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hp ux practice

hi i am new in unix.i have installed linux in my pc,but i want to practice and be expatise in hp ux.but i have no hp server for do it.how could i practice hp ux?please help and give suggestion. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dipanjan123
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

practice scripting

Is there any sites out there that have examples of things they want you to go and script for practice? I have looked around but have came up empty handed. I have been writing scripts for things I need on my nix box but have am wanting more challenging things to keep me learning. I would prefer... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxn00b
3 Replies

9. AIX

AIX practice

Dears, Kindly as preparing to get AIX certification I'd like to have your guide & support where can I find dump or exam forms for below :- Test 000-103: AIX 6.1 Basic Operations Test 000-221: AIX 7 Administration I want to look at real questions and try to solve it , is it possible to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arm
1 Replies

10. HP-UX

LVM PE. Best practice

Hi everyone. Unfortunately I can't find advice's about LVM Physical Extent for HPUX. As far as I know we can set for 1PE size from 1MB to 256 MB. But in what cases it should be different? Maybe exist any strict rules, requirements or any best practice? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
2 Replies
DDB(8)							    BSD System Manager's Manual 						    DDB(8)

NAME
ddb -- configure DDB kernel debugger properties SYNOPSIS
ddb capture [-M -core] [-N -system] print ddb capture [-M -core] [-N -system] status ddb script scriptname ddb script scriptname=script ddb scripts ddb unscript scriptname ddb pathname DESCRIPTION
The ddb utility configures certain aspects of the ddb(4) kernel debugger from user space that are not configured at compile-time or easily via sysctl(8) MIB entries. To ease configuration, commands can be put in a file which is processed using ddb as shown in the last synopsis line. An absolute pathname must be used. The file will be read line by line and applied as arguments to the ddb utility. Whitespace at the beginning of lines will be ignored as will lines where the first non-whitespace character is '#'. OUTPUT CAPTURE
The ddb utility can be used to extract the contents of the ddb(4) output capture buffer of the current live kernel, or from the crash dump of a kernel on disk. The following debugger commands are available from the command line: capture [-M core] [-N system] print Print the current contents of the ddb(4) output capture buffer. capture [-M core] [-N system] status Print the current status of the ddb(4) output capture buffer. SCRIPTING
The ddb utility can be used to configure aspects of ddb(4) scripting from user space; scripting support is described in more detail in ddb(4). Each of the debugger commands is available from the command line: script scriptname Print the script named scriptname. script scriptname=script Define a script named scriptname. As many scripts contain characters interpreted in special ways by the shell, it is advisable to enclose script in quotes. scripts List currently defined scripts. unscript scriptname Delete the script named scriptname. EXIT STATUS
The ddb utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following example defines a script that will execute when the kernel debugger is entered as a result of a break signal: ddb script kdb.enter.break="show pcpu; bt" The following example will delete the script: ddb unscript kdb.enter.break For further examples, see the ddb(4) and textdump(4) manual pages. SEE ALSO
ddb(4), textdump(4), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The ddb utility first appeared in FreeBSD 7.1. AUTHORS
Robert N M Watson BUGS
Ideally, ddb would not exist, as all pertinent aspects of ddb(4) could be configured directly via sysctl(8). BSD
December 24, 2008 BSD