Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove special characters from string Post 302264543 by radoulov on Thursday 4th of December 2008 05:55:11 AM
Old 12-04-2008
And what's wrong with Franklin52's solution?

This is with bash:

Code:
$ ./s "My name's Santiago. What's yours?" 'atu'
My nme's Snigo. Wh's yors?
$ ./s "My# name%'s ?Santiago.\ What/'s yours?" '#%?/\'
My name's Santiago. What's yours
$ cat s
#! /bin/bash

tr 2>&- -d "$2"<<<"$1"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove special and unicode characters

Hi, How do I remove the lines where special characters or Unicode characters appear? The following query does work but I wonder if there is a better way. cat test.txt | egrep -v '\)|#|,|&|-|\(|\\|\/|\.' The following lines show that my query is incomplete. Warning: The word "*Khan" is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove directory that has special Characters

Hi All, I have a script written that creates a new directory within the shell program and if a parameter isn't passed in, it creates a strange directory name by mistake. So I have a directory like "-_12" and I am unable to remove it. I tried removing it using double quote and many others. I have... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: datherriault
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove special characters from each line?

Hello, Is there a simpler way to remove special characters (color codes) from each lines in a log file? I use sed like in the example below but I think there should be a more simple way to achieve the same result: $ cat -vet file1 ^, , , , Maybe to convert the file somehow? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: majormark
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Remove Special Characters

Dear Members, We have a file which contains some special characters. I need to replace these special character by a new line character(\n). The Special character is \x85. I am not sure what this character means and how we can remove it. Any inputs are greatly appreciated. Thanks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files with special characters - how to remove

Hi, I have a directory that has a file which contained special characters in the filename. Can someone please advise how to remove the file, preferably with a rm -i ? Thanks in advance. Listing is as below: {oracle}> ls -1b bplog.bkup.001 bplog.bkup.002 bplog.bkup.003 bplog.bkup.004... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove special characters

hello all I am writing a perl code and i wish to remove the special characters for text. I wish to remove all extended ascii characters. If the list of special characters is huge, how can i do this using substitute command s/specialcharacters/null/g I really want to code like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove string between two special characters

Hi All, I have a variable like AVAIL="\ BACK:bkpstg:testdb3.iad.expertcity.com:backtest|\ #AUTH:authstg:testdb3.iad.expertcity.com:authiapd|\ TEST:authstg:testdb3.iad.expertcity.com:authiapd|\ " What I want to do here is that If a find # before any entry, remove the entire string... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: engineermayur
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the special characters from field

Hi, In source data few of columns are having special charates(like *) due to this i am not able to display the data into flat file.it's displaying the some of junk data into the flat file. source dataExample: Address1="XDERFTG * HYJUYTG" how to remove the special charates in a string (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove some special characters in a string?

Hi, I have string like this ="Lookup Procedure" But i want the output like this Lookup Procedure =," should be removed. Please suggest me the solution. Regards, Madhuri (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srimadhuri
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove special characters?

Hi Gurus, I have file which contains some unicode charachator like "ü". I want to replace it with some charactors. I searched in internet and got command sed "s/ü/-/g", but I don't know how to type ü in unix command line. Please help me for this one. Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
7 Replies
LIBBASH(7)							  libbash Manual							LIBBASH(7)

NAME
libbash -- A bash shared libraries package. DESCRIPTION
libbash is a package that enables bash dynamic-like shared libraries. Actually its a tool for managing bash scripts whose functions you may want to load and use in scripts of your own. It contains a 'dynamic loader' for the shared libraries ( ldbash(1)), a configuration tool (ldbashconfig(8)), and some libraries. Using ldbash(1) you are able to load loadable bash libraries, such as getopts(1) and hashstash(1). A bash shared library that can be loaded using ldbash(1) must answer 4 requirments: 1. It must be installed in $LIBBASH_PREFIX/lib/bash (default is /usr/lib/bash). 2. It must contain a line that begins with '#EXPORT='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of functions that the library exports. I.e. all the function that will be usable after loading that library will be listed in that line. 3. It must contain a line that begins with '#REQUIRE='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of bash libraries that are required for our library. I.e. every bash library that is in use in our bash library must be listed there. 4. The library must be listed (For more information, see ldbashconfig(8)). Basic guidelines for writing library of your own: 1. Be aware, that your library will be actually sourced. So, basically, it should contain (i.e define) only functions. 2. Try to declare all variables intended for internal use as local. 3. Global variables and functions that are intended for internal use (i.e are not defined in '#EXPORT=') should begin with: __<library_name>_ For example, internal function myfoosort of hashstash library should be named as __hashstash_myfoosort This helps to avoid conflicts in global name space when using libraries that come from different vendors. 4. See html manual for full version of this guide. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <ril@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), ldbashconfig(8), getopts(1), hashstash(1) colors(1) messages(1) urlcoding(1) locks(1) Linux Epoch Linux