Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming c program to extract text between two delimiters from some text file Post 302264351 by redoubtable on Wednesday 3rd of December 2008 05:29:08 PM
Old 12-03-2008
Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <string.h>

int
main ()
{
    FILE * f;
    char buf[1024];
    char * saveptr;
    char * token;
    char hash[7][100];
    int offset;

f = fopen ("list", "r");

while (fgets (buf, 1024, f))
    {  
        if (strchr(buf, '\n'))
            *strchr(buf, '\n') = '\0';
        for (offset=0, token = buf; offset < 7 ; token = NULL, offset++)
        {  
            token = strtok_r(token, "|", &saveptr);
            if (token == NULL)
                break;
            printf ("%s\n", token);
    //      strncpy(hash[offset], token, 100);
        }
    }

fclose (f);
}

Here is an example of strtok_r() (thread safe). I commented the strncpy() line where every separated value is stored in "hash" variable. If you wish to store everything in memory, you could use linked lists to link multiple structs which have 'hash' variables.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extract text b/w two delimiters

I have an input file which looks like " @$SCRIPT/atp_asrmt_adj.sql $SCRIPT/dba2000.scr -s / @$SCRIPT/cim1005w.pls $SCRIPT/dba2000.scr -s / @$SCRIPT/cim1006w.pls start $SCRIPT/cim1020d.sql;^M spool $DATA/cim1021m.sql @$DATA/cim1021m.sql ! rm $DATA/cim1021m.sql spool $DATA/cim1021m.sql... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dowsed4u8
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to extract columns from a text file

Hi, In ksh, I have a file with similar rows as follows: Department = 1234 G/L Asset Acct No = 12.0000. 2/29/2008 Department = 1234 G/L Asset Acct No = 13.0000. 3/29/2008. I want to create a new text file that contains only the numbers and date: 1234 12.0000. 2/29/2008 1234 13.0000. ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ihot
16 Replies

3. AIX

Print text between two delimiters

Hi, Can somebody help me with the below situation, Input File, ======== 2007_08_07_IA-0100-014_(MONTHLY).PDF 2007_08_07_IA-0100-031_(QUARTERLY)(RERUN).PDF 2008-02-28_KR-1022-003_(MONTH)(RERUN)(REC1).CSV Required output, ============ MONTHLY QUARTERLY MONTH ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravicha
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetch the rows with match string on a fixed lenth text file - NO delimiters

Hi I am trying to fetch the rows with match string "0000001234" Input file looks like below: 09 0 XXX 0000001234 Z 1 09 0 XXX 0000001234 Z 1 09 0 XXX 0000001234 Z 1 09 0 XXX 0000001234 Z 1 09 0 XXX 0000001234 Z 1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nareshk
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract particular lines from text file

I have two files file A which have a number in every row and file B which contains few hundred thousand rows with about 300 characters in each row (csv) What I need is to extract whole rows from B file (only these which numbers are indicated in A file) I also need to use cygwin. Any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gunio
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Order text by delimiters

I try order the content from file by delimiters. This is the text: interface Loopback0 description !!!RID RR_SLT ip address 172.31.128.19 255.255.255.255 interface GigabitEthernet0 description !!!P_SLT GI0/0/9 ip address 172.31.130.246 255.255.255.252 and the result that I need... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbasystem
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract text from a file

I have been reading several posts regarding how to extract text from a file, but none of those have helped me for what I need. This is my problem: I need to extract the text after my pattern So my line is: 485.74 6589.5 Log likelihood: 1485.79 My pattern is 'Log likelihood:' and I need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: loperam
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print text between delimiters IF it contains a certain term...

So I'm racking my brain on appropriate ways to solve a problem that once fixed, will solve every problem in my life. Its very easy (for you guys and gals) I'm sure, but I can't seem to wrap my mind around the right approach. I really want to use bash to do this, but I can't grasp how I'm going to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: eh3civic
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract a word from text file name

Hi i want to extract the word present before .txt in the text file. For example, Sample_ab_a.txt ----------> i need 'a' Sample_abc_b.txt -----------> i need 'b' Can anyone help me in getting the word extracted (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sindhuap
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies
strextract(1)						      General Commands Manual						     strextract(1)

NAME
strextract - batch string extraction SYNOPSIS
strextract [-p patternfile] [-i ignorefile] [-d] [source-program...] OPTIONS
Ignore text strings specified in ignorefile. By default, the strextract command searches for ignorefile in the current working directory, your home directory, and /usr/lib/nls. If you omit the -i option, strextract recognizes all strings specified in the patterns file. Use patternfile to match strings in the input source program. By default, the command searches for the pattern file in the current working directory, your home direc- tory, and finally /usr/lib/nls. If you omit the -p option, the strextract command uses a default patterns file that is stored in /usr/lib/nls/patterns. Disables warnings of duplicate strings. If you omit the -d option, strextract prints warnings of duplicate strings in your source program. DESCRIPTION
The strextract command extracts text strings from source programs. This command also writes the string it extracts to a message text file. The message text file contains the text for each message extracted from your input source program. The strextract command names the file by appending to the name of the input source program. In the source-program argument, you name one or more source programs from which you want messages extracted. The strextract command does not extract messages from source programs included using the #include directive. Therefore, you might want a source program and all the source programs it includes on a single strextract command line. You can create a patterns file (as specified by patternfile ) to control how the strextract command extracts text. The patterns file is divided into several sections, each of which is identified by a keyword. The keyword must start at the beginning of a new line, and its first character must be a dollar sign ($). Following the identifier, you specify a number of patterns. Each pattern begins on a new line and follows the regular expression syntax you use in the regexp(3) routine. For more information on the patterns file, see the patterns(4) reference page. In addition to the patterns file, you can create a file that indicates strings that extract ignores. Each line in this ignore file con- tains a single string to be ignored that follows the syntax of the regexp(3) routine. When you invoke the strextract command, it reads the patterns file and the file that contains strings it ignores. You can specify a pat- terns file and an ignore file on the strextract command line. Otherwise, the strextract command matches all strings and uses the default patterns file. If strextract finds strings which match the ERROR directive in the pattern file, it reports the strings to standard error (stderr.) but does not write the string to the message file. After running strextract, you can edit the message text file to remove text strings which do not need translating before running strmerge. It is recommended that you use extract command as a visual front end to the strextract command rather than running strextract directly. RESTRICTIONS
Given the default pattern file, you cannot cause strextract to ignore strings in comments that are longer than one line. You can specify only one rewrite string for all classes of pattern matches. The strextract command does not extract strings from files include with #include directive. You must run the strextract commands on these files separately. % strextract -p c_patterns prog.c prog2.c % vi prog.str % strmerge -p c_patterns prog.c prog2.c % gencat prog.cat prog.msg prog2.msg % vi nl_prog.c % vi nl_prog2.c % cc nl_prog.c nl_prog2.c In this example, the strextract command uses the c_patterns file to determine which strings to match. The input source programs are named prog.c and prog2.c. If you need to remove any of the messages or extract one of the created strings, edit the resulting message file, prog.str. Under no condi- tions should you add to this file. Doing so could result in unpredictable behavior. You issue the strmerge command to replace the extracted strings with calls to the message catalog. In response to this command, strmerge, creates the source message catalogs, prog.msg and prog2.msg, and the output source programs, nl_prog.c and nl_prog2.c. You must edit nl_prog.c and nl_prog2.c to include the appropriate catopen and catclose function calls. The gencat command creates a message catalog and the cc command creates an executable program. SEE ALSO
gencat(1), extract(1), strmerge(1), regexp(3), catopen(3), patterns(4) Writing Software for the International Market strextract(1)