Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Use a Serial Console with Mac OS X Leopard Post 302262270 by joecassara on Wednesday 26th of November 2008 11:47:21 PM
Old 11-27-2008
Use a Serial Console with Mac OS X Leopard

I'm trying to use an old Commodore 128D as a terminal to access OS X's shell via a serial port. I've used 'screen' and 'zterm' to ensure the two machines are successfully interfaced.

Instructions for opening up the serial console on other Unix-y operating systems don't work with OS X Leopard. My serial port is /dev/tty.usbserial.

* Activating the serial console in /etc/ttys -- No luck

* /usr/libexec/./getty std.9600 /dev/tty.usbserial -- Seem to do nothing

* screen /dev/tty.usbserial -- The Mac and 128D communicate with each other, but a shell is NOT opened on the 128D

I've scoured the internet for a solution to no avail. All I've found are procedues for OS X Server, using SerialTerminalSupport, but I don't have Server.

Any ideas?

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

mac backup script in leopard

Hi all I had a nice simple backup script on my mac running Tiger. I used an Automator 'Run Shell Script' command that loaded psync and backed up one directory on an external drive to a directory on another external drive. This was the command /usr/local/bin/runpsync 0 0 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Billy T
1 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

loading MAC X 5.0(leopard) on a X86 laptop

I want to install MAC X 5.x on my T60 Lenova laptop. I have the Original Mac X 5.0 installation media. I tried to install it on a blank hard disk in my laptop but it doesn't work. On the internet I found sites that offer torrent downloads but I can't use torrent downloads on my laptop. (Corp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mndavies
1 Replies
dc(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							     dc(4)

Name
       dc - serial line/mouse/keyboard

Syntax
       device	 dc0  at ibus?	vector dcintr

Description
       The  serial line controller provides four ports, with modem control on two of the ports.  The DECstation 3100 and DECstation 2100 only pro-
       vide partial modem control.  The DECstation 5000 provides full modem control. The ports are used as follows:

Port	 Usage
       0	 Graphics device keyboard at 4800 BPS
       1	 Mouse or tablet at 4800 BPS
       2	 Communications port 1 (w/modem control)/local terminal
       3	 Communications port 2 (w/modem control)/local terminal

Each communication port from the serial line controller behaves as described in and can be set to run at any of 16 speeds.  For the  encod-
       ing, see

When  a	graphics device is not being used as the system console, communications port 2 becomes the system console.  In this configuration,
       the port can only be used at 9600 BPS and no modem control is supported.

The serial line driver operates in interrupt-per-character mode (all pending characters are flushed from the silo on each interrupt).

Restrictions
       Speed must be set to 9600 BPS on the console port and 4800 BPS on ports used by graphics devices.  The serial  line  driver  enforces  this
       restriction; that is, changing speeds with the command may not always work on these ports.

Files
       console terminal

local terminal

local terminal

See Also
       console(4), devio(4), tty(4), ttys(5), MAKEDEV(8)

RISC								     dc(4)