Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Log File Writing and Reading
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Log File Writing and Reading Post 302261618 by zaxxon on Tuesday 25th of November 2008 08:21:51 AM
Old 11-25-2008
If $SESSIONLOG was empty or had nonsense inside, cat would tell something like "file not found".
You should also write stderr out to your log like:
Code:
sftp -b $SCRIPT $DESTUSERNAME@$DESTHOSTNAME > $SESSIONLOG 2>&1

If it is still empty, maybe put a -v for verboste to the sftp.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Reading and Writing file on LAN

Hi gurus I am not a C programmer but I need to read and write files on a computer on LAN using IP address. Suppose on a computer that has an IP 192.168.0.2 Any help or code example. I did in JAVA using URL, but do not know how to do in ANSI-C. In java: ------- URL url = new... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucky001
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reading a file and writing the file name to a param file.

Hi All, Not sure if this would be in a dummies sectiin or advanced. I'm looking for a script if someone has doen something like this. I have list of files - adc_earnedpoints.20070630.txt adc_earnedpoints.20070707.txt adc_earnedpoints.20070714.txt adc_earnedpoints.20070721.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thebeginer
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

reading ,writing,appending ,manipulating a file.

Hi my prob statement is to create a new file or to append to the 1tst file the followign chages. File 1: txt file. portfolio No a b c d abc 1 Any Any Any charString cds 2 values values values charString efd 3 can can can charString fdg 4 come come come charString... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: szchmaltz
4 Replies

4. Programming

I need help with file reading/writing in C

Hello everybody, I'm trying to code a program which makes the following: It sends an ARP request frame and when it gets the reply, extracts the IP address of source and writes it to a .txt file. This is gonna be done with many hosts (with a for() loop), so, the text file would look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zykl0n-B
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading data from DataBase and Writing to a file

Hi All, Please help me in writing data to a file in one row. In database there is a column which contains large data which does not fit in the file in one row. The column contains list of paths. I want to write these paths to a file in one row. Please find the code below writes : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for Log / Bad file and Reading and writing to a flat file

Need to develop a unix shell script for the below requirement and I need your assistance: 1) search for file.log and file.bad file in a directory and read them 2) pull out "Load_Start_Time", "Data_File_Name", "Error_Type" from log file 4) concatinate each row from bad file as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlpathir
3 Replies

7. Programming

unexpected values received when writing and reading from file

In the code below i try to write and read from a file, but i get unexpected results, like after writing i cannot open the file, and when reading the file the value entered earlier is not shown bool creat_fragments(int nFragment) { int fd, rand_value; char frag_path, buf; for(int... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saman_glorious
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading a file extracting information writing to a file

Hi I am trying to extract information out of a file but keep getting grep cant open errors the code is below: #bash #extract orders with blank address details # # obtain the current date # set today to the current date ccyymmdd format today=`date +%c%m%d | cut -c24-31` echo... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bruble
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading and writing in same file

Hi All, Here is my requirement. I am grepping through the log files and cutting some fields from the file to generate a csv file. Now I have to check if 2nd field is having some fixed value then with the help of 4th field I have to look in same log and run another grep command to retrieve the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmajumder
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading and Writing a conf file - Suggestions and improvements?

Hello all As part of my TUI - (line based) Text User Interface, i do have 2 commands to assist working with conf files. Now, for me they work, but since i wrote them, i automaticly use them they way they should be used... you know what i mean. ;) Anyway, they are designed to read 'simple'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
3 Replies
SFTP-SERVER(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    SFTP-SERVER(8)

NAME
sftp-server -- SFTP server subsystem SYNOPSIS
sftp-server [-ehR] [-f log_facility] [-l log_level] [-u umask] DESCRIPTION
sftp-server is a program that speaks the server side of SFTP protocol to stdout and expects client requests from stdin. sftp-server is not intended to be called directly, but from sshd(8) using the Subsystem option. Command-line flags to sftp-server should be specified in the Subsystem declaration. See sshd_config(5) for more information. Valid options are: -e Causes sftp-server to print logging information to stderr instead of syslog for debugging. -f log_facility Specifies the facility code that is used when logging messages from sftp-server. The possible values are: DAEMON, USER, AUTH, LOCAL0, LOCAL1, LOCAL2, LOCAL3, LOCAL4, LOCAL5, LOCAL6, LOCAL7. The default is AUTH. -h Displays sftp-server usage information. -l log_level Specifies which messages will be logged by sftp-server. The possible values are: QUIET, FATAL, ERROR, INFO, VERBOSE, DEBUG, DEBUG1, DEBUG2, and DEBUG3. INFO and VERBOSE log transactions that sftp-server performs on behalf of the client. DEBUG and DEBUG1 are equivalent. DEBUG2 and DEBUG3 each specify higher levels of debugging output. The default is ERROR. -R Places this instance of sftp-server into a read-only mode. Attempts to open files for writing, as well as other operations that change the state of the filesystem, will be denied. -u umask Sets an explicit umask(2) to be applied to newly-created files and directories, instead of the user's default mask. For logging to work, sftp-server must be able to access /dev/log. Use of sftp-server in a chroot configuration therefore requires that syslogd(8) establish a logging socket inside the chroot directory. SEE ALSO
sftp(1), ssh(1), sshd_config(5), sshd(8) T. Ylonen and S. Lehtinen, SSH File Transfer Protocol, draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-00.txt, January 2001, work in progress material. HISTORY
sftp-server first appeared in OpenBSD 2.8. AUTHORS
Markus Friedl <markus@openbsd.org> BSD
January 9, 2010 BSD