Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: To Stop at error
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers To Stop at error Post 302261404 by Ikon on Monday 24th of November 2008 02:57:27 PM
Old 11-24-2008
$? - stored exit status of previous command.

So check if $? = 0 run next script else exit and display error or what ever.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How do I stop this???

Am having trouble trying to stop the process below ... bash# ps -eaf | grep "tape erase" root 29715 1 0 05:16:22 ttyp1 00:00:00 tape erase /dev/rStp0 root 22464 20933 1 03:40:12 ttyp6 00:00:00 grep tape eraseI've tried ... `kill -9 29715` ... but still no luck. Help... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
8 Replies

2. IP Networking

How do I stop my DHCP ???

Hi, I have a Sun Enterprise 450 with Unix Solaris 5.8. This was recently reconfigured and it now has a DHCP service running. However I want to give it a fixed IP. I have added the IP address in '/etc/hosts and have run 'dhcpconfig' and have followed the simple instructions to switch off DHCP... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brettwalmsley
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to stop others users to stop viewing what i am doing ?

Hi , I have one question, suppose i am a normal user and when i use 'w' command , it shows who is logged on and what they are doing . Now i want to stop others users to know what i am doing accept the root ? can i do this ? thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobile01
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

help me stop spammer

Hello, I am hosting a site that someone is bouncing a huge amount of spam off of and I have not been able to find what file they are using to abuse my server. Short of terminating the account and telling my customer to take a hike I am hoping someone can help me find the file that is being... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dorpan
1 Replies

5. Solaris

I am geting error while trying to stop managed server of WEB LOGIC

Dear All, I am geting error while trying to stop managed server of WEB LOGIC through the command stop_wls managed1_wlsdom02.Can anyone tell me why I am geting this error?managed1_wlsdom02.pid exists at the path mentioned. Do you need any other details?... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASHISH MISHRA
0 Replies

6. Solaris

stop - A

I am using solaris x86 with a pc keyboard. i am trying to get to the ok prompt i have tried ctrl-break but it is not working , alt-break will not as well. pls any thought? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stop load script if error found...

Hi all, Is there any command in Unix, which will stop the load process if any error is found in the i/p file? I am trying to load 5 files sequentially. A then B then C then D then E end; 1) If A encounter's any error while data load, the load process should stop, and it should not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: msrahman
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

How can I stop this???

I have a user ( and actually me too) getting this messages when the screen is idle, I need help on stopping this messages: 2012 Feb 20 13:30:22 servername Audit: LENGTH: "330" SESSIONID: "339384" ENTRYID: "1" STATEMENT: "1" USERID: "OPS$PT2ADM" USERHOST: "zzzzzzzzzzz" ACTION: "100" RETURNCODE:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 300zxmuro
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Stop script execution, when we encounter error

Team, Im new to shell scripting please help in below issue: Considering scenario i have 1.sql,2.sql,3.sql and 4.sql . If my second script fails my loop should come out and should not execute 3.sql and 4.sql. Here is my code. #! /bin/bash echo "exit" | user/password | grep Connected >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: preethi87
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to stop a shell script if it encounters a error?

I am writing a bash shell script for GarazLab's "WP EMAIL CRAWLER - AUTO SCRAPER & REAL TIME EXTRACTOR". it contains some commands. I want to stop the shell execution as soon as it encounters an error. how to do it? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tahsin352
8 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)