Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Print lines between the search pattern Post 302261320 by Franklin52 on Monday 24th of November 2008 11:03:33 AM
Old 11-24-2008
Assumimg you want the lines before the first xxx:

Code:
awk '/xxx/{exit}{print}' file

Regards

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search file for pattern and grab some lines before pattern

I want to search a file for a string and then if the string is found I need the line that the string is on - but also the previous two lines from the file (that the pattern will not be found in) This is on solaris Can you help? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern in a file and print previous lines from a particular point

Hi, I am new to ksh scripting and I have a problem. I have a file in which I have to search for a particular pattern say 'a' then from that line I need to search for another pattern say 'b' in the previous lines and thne print the file from pattern 'b' till the end of file. For eg: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umaislearning
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for Pattern and Print including Lines in between

Gurus, I have a big file that needs to be sorted out and I cant figure out what to do. The file name is as below: Name: xxxx yyyy nnnn Description: dfffgs sdgsgsf hsfhhs afgghhjdgj fjklllll gsfhfh Updated: jafgadsgg gsg Corrected: date today The file consists of line like these. ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: The One
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print a pattern between the xml tags based on a search pattern

Hi all, I am trying to extract the values ( text between the xml tags) based on the Order Number. here is the sample input <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <NJCustomer> <Header> <MessageIdentifier>Y504173382</MessageIdentifier> ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: oky
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need one liner to search pattern and print everything expect 6 lines from where pattern match made

i need to search for a pattern from a big file and print everything expect the next 6 lines from where the pattern match was made. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search pattern on logfile and search for day/dates and skip duplicate lines if any

Hi, I've written a script to search for an Oracle ORA- error on a log file, print that line and the .trc file associated with it as well as the dateline of when I assumed the error occured. In most it is the first dateline previous to the error. Unfortunately, this is not a fool proof script.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search Pattern and Print lines in Single Column

Hi Experts I have small query where I request the into a single file Suppose: File1: {Unique entries} AA BB CC DD FileB: AA, 123 AA, 234 AA, 2345 CC, 123 CC, 5678 DD,123 BB, 7890 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navkanwal
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match Pattern and print pattern and multiple lines into one line

Hello Experts , require help . See below output: File inputs ------------------------------------------ Server Host = mike id rl images allocated last updated density vimages expiration last read <------- STATUS ------->... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tigerhills
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -- Find pattern -- print remainder -- plus lines up to pattern -- Minus pattern

The intended result should be : PDF converters 'empty line' gpdftext and pdftotext?xml version="1.0"?> xml:space="preserve"><note-content version="0.1" xmlns:/tomboy/link" xmlns:size="http://beatniksoftware.com/tomboy/size">PDF converters gpdftext and pdftotext</note-content>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klasform
9 Replies
GUARDS(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 GUARDS(1)

NAME
guards - select from a list of files guarded by conditions SYNOPSIS
guards [--prefix=dir] [--path=dir2:dir2:...] [--default=0|1] [-v|--invert-match] [--list|--check] [--config=file] symbol ... DESCRIPTION
The script reads a configuration file that may contain so-called guards, file names, and comments, and writes those file names that satisfy all guards to standard output. The script takes a list of symbols as its arguments. Each line in the configuration file is processed separately. Lines may start with a number of guards. The following guards are defined: +xxx Include the file(s) on this line if the symbol xxx is defined. -xxx Exclude the file(s) on this line if the symbol xxx is defined. +!xxx Include the file(s) on this line if the symbol xxx is not defined. -!xxx Exclude the file(s) on this line if the symbol xxx is not defined. - Exclude this file. Used to avoid spurious --check messages. The guards are processed left to right. The last guard that matches determines if the file is included. If no guard is specified, the --default setting determines if the file is included. If no configuration file is specified, the script reads from standard input. The --check option is used to compare the specification file against the file system. If files are referenced in the specification that do not exist, or if files are not enlisted in the specification file warnings are printed. The --path option can be used to specify which directory or directories to scan. Multiple directories are separated by a colon (":") character. The --prefix option specifies the location of the files. AUTHOR
Andreas Gruenbacher <agruen@suse.de> (SuSE Linux AG) perl v5.14.2 2012-03-04 GUARDS(1)