Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unix Horror story script question Post 302261215 by scottsiddharth on Monday 24th of November 2008 04:04:01 AM
Old 11-24-2008
Thank you for the reply. But isn't that exactly what the real admin asked the novice admin to do.

Is there a better script or solution ?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Script Question

Hi to all in forum and I hope someone will be able to help. It is likely that over the next couple of months I have to get a hands on knowledge of Unix due to incoming work in company and I hope to be able to get some knowledge from the general Unix community. In the meantime I have one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kencheck
2 Replies

2. Homework & Coursework Questions

Unix Script - Changing Variable Question

This is a problem with basic Unix scripting. Thanks for looking! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Make a script that will compare 2 given directories and output those filenames that are in Directory 1 and not 2 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iamhungry
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

New Unix user with shell script question using grep

Hello, I am a new Unix user and new to shell programming. I am working on a script to go through a log file and find the text error: grep -i 'error' monplus.mplog if I find the text error in the log file I would like to echo a message to the operator staing there is an error I am currently... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtracy01
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Shell Script question

I have the following script ========= #!/bin/sh MUTEXPREFIX="/tmp/" READMUTEX=(test globallock) # If mutexes found - exit out for m in "${READMUTEX}"; do || (echo "$0 Mutex file found - Exiting\n" ; exit 1) done; echo "After for loop\n"; exit;============= What i want... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: GosarJunk
8 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

UNIX script coding HW question

i am trying to write a script code in unix that will: 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: display following menu to user: (A) Add (B) Subtract (C) Multiply (D) Divide (E) Modulus (F) Exponentiation (G) Exit Then ask user for choice (A-F). After taking... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade755
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX shell script question.

I need to check whether the directory is exist or not. only three letter will be passed as argument. from that it should pick the entire directory. Instead of banking and manfucuture the input will be passed as man or ban. $1 -> ban $2-> monday #!/bin/sh DIR='/sales/$1*/monday' if ;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun888
3 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.11 30 Jan 2004 script(1)