Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Script to open program and send/execute command in program Post 302260133 by tuathan on Wednesday 19th of November 2008 08:02:21 PM
Old 11-19-2008
Script to open program and send/execute command in program

Hi,

i want to write a script that executes a program (exec?) .
this program then requires a filename as input.
how do i give it this input in the script so the program will be complete run and close by the script.

e.g.

exec prog.exe

program then asks for filename

"enter filename:"
(want to get filename from script)

press enter

then exits program

back to script

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent!! How to write a shell program to execute command to access internet?

hi, I am new ot unix. So, can i write a shell(c shell or korn shell) program to access internet? I mean if I run the program, it can access specified url and then copy the html to a file? Can anyone help me? And how can make the program runs every 1 hr? new comer (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: firebirdonfire
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute a program at expect script

what i need is that after passwordless enter another program should execute. I can succeed passwordless login but ı could not execute (./son) program. pls help me (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fozay
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

C program to execute shell script

Hi, Can anyone pls give a sample to execute a shell script from C program Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baigmd
2 Replies

4. Programming

C program to execute shell script

Hi, Can anyone give me a sample code to execute shell script from C program. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baigmd
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to write a script or program to automatic execute and link input file data

Output file template format <input_file_name>a</input_file_name> <total_length_size>b</total_length_size> <log_10_length_size>c</log_10_length_size> Input_file_1 (eg. sample.txt) SDFSDGDGSFGRTREREYWW Parameter: a is equal to the input file name b is equal to the total length of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

The script wont trigger it. Thief Catcher program (open source)

me and my team working on a project called Stealth Hunter, Summarize about our project: Stealth Hunter is a thief catcher, It will silently take a snapshot of user using a stolen notebook or pc with webcam and send the information via email. how it work is: The scripts will triggered by the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kiraichi
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to execute a unix shell script from a java program

Hi All, well , i am facing this problem.. i have tried a few sample codes but there isn't any solution . could anyone please give a sample code as of how to do this... Please see the below details...and read the details carefully. I have written some code, logic is 1)from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash script to execute a program to rename files

I just can't figure it out , so please just give me a pice of advise how to: The existing Linux program foo2bar takes as its only argument the name of a single foo file and converts it to an appropriately-named bar file. Provide a script that when executed will run foo2bar against all foo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raymen
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute a command after a program was launched

Hi Experts, I am creating a script to monitor a certain applications running in my Unix system. My script order goes this way: df -h /of/a/filesystem tail -5 /path/to/an/application/availability su -c "jsmon pf=(profile of my application) `echo "p"`" usradm #EOF I am... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xworks
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit script and open program via other user

Hello all.. so i have a problem i need to solve .. #! /bin/bash $SHELL dtterm -title my_prog -e su -user -c 'export DISPLAY=:0.0 ; /path/to/my/prog' & 2> /dev/null $SHELL intr exit This script will work on solaris 10 system in right clikt menu - in a secure system so i need to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: defs
0 Replies
Test::Script(3) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   Test::Script(3)

NAME
Test::Script - Basic cross-platform tests for scripts DESCRIPTION
The intent of this module is to provide a series of basic tests for 80% of the testing you will need to do for scripts in the script (or bin as is also commonly used) paths of your Perl distribution. Further, it aims to provide this functionality with perfect platform-compatibility, and in a way that is as unobtrusive as possible. That is, if the program works on a platform, then Test::Script should always work on that platform as well. Anything less than 100% is considered unacceptable. In doing so, it is hoped that Test::Script can become a module that you can safely make a dependency of all your modules, without risking that your module won't on some platform because of the dependency. Where a clash exists between wanting more functionality and maintaining platform safety, this module will err on the side of platform safety. FUNCTIONS
script_compiles script_compiles( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script compiles' ); The "script_compiles" test calls the script with "perl -c script.pl", and checks that it returns without error. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. Note also that the test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. script_runs script_runs( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script runs' ); The "script_runs" test executes the script with "perl script.pl" and checks that it returns success. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. The test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. SUPPORT
All bugs should be filed via the bug tracker at http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Script <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Script> For other issues, or commercial enhancement and support, contact the author. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
prove, <http://ali.as/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.2 2009-11-23 Test::Script(3)