Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting remove trailing spaces from a line Post 302259088 by Franklin52 on Monday 17th of November 2008 08:05:36 AM
Old 11-17-2008
If your sed version doesn't support the POSIX Character Classes you can use a space and a \t within the square brackets:

Code:
sed 's/[ \t]*$//'

Older versions of sed even doesn't recognize the \t as a tab. In that case you can type <Ctrl-V> <TAB> successively instead of \t:

Code:
sed 's/[     ]*$//'

Regards

Last edited by Franklin52; 11-17-2008 at 09:26 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim trailing spaces from each line in a file

Hello folks, Is there a simple way to trim trailing spaces from each line a file. Please let me know. Regards, Tipsy. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove trailing spaces

Hi, I have a file like this (ADD_MONTHS((Substr(Trim(BOTH FROM Translate(Maximum(closeDa ------------------------------------------------------------ 2007-06-30 00:00:00 I have a requirement where i need just the date. When i do: tail -1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahek_bedi
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove Trailing spaces after a delimiter

Hi, I am trying to remove trailing white spaces using this command in awk nawk -F '|' '/^TR/{t = $4 }/^LN/{gsub(/ */,"");printf "%s|%s\n", t, $0 }' $i>>catman_852_files.txt My delimiter is '|'. THere are some description fields which are being truncated. I dont want to remove spaces... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kiran_418
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove trailing and leading spaces using tr command

Dear All, can you please advice how do i remove trailing and leading spaces from a pipe-delimited file using "tr" command the below cmd, i tried removed all spaces tr -d ' '<s1.txt>s2.txt1 Many thx Suresh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove trailing spaces from file

I'm currently writing my sql results to a file and they have trailing spaces after each field. I want to get rid of these spaces and I'm using this code: TVXTEMP=$(echo $TVXTEMP|sed -e 's/\ //g') It doesn't work though. I'm not familiar with sedscript, and the other codes I've found online... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: avillanueva
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove trailing spaces from a variable?

I am getting a value from a csv file using CUT command, however the command extracting the records with trailing spaces. I am using the result into a sql session to fetch data, because of the trailing spaces the sql session is unable to fetch any data. Please let me know, how to remove this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove of extra spaces from the trailing

HI, I need the help from the experts like I have created one file with text like: a b c d e f g h i j k l So my question is that i have to write the script in which like in the first sentence it will take only one space after d and remove all the extra space in the end.I dont... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhanudhingra
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove trailing empty spaces within a quote

Platform: Oracle Linux 6.5 I have a file with hundreds of values enclosed in single quotes like below. I want the trailing empty spaces before the ending quote to be removed. Expected output shown below. Can this be done using good old vi editor ? Or should I use sed or awk for this ? $ cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove leading and trailing spaces from a file

Hi, I am trying to remove leading and trailing spaces from a file using awk but somehow I have not been able to do it. Here is the data that I want to trim. 07/12/2017 15:55:00 |entinfdev |AD ping Time ms | .474| 1.41| .581|green |flat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove leading and trailing spaces for variable in shell script?

Hi I have variable named tablename. The value to tablename variable has leading and trailing white spaces. How to remove the leading and training white spaces and write the value of the tablename without space to a file using shell script. ( for e.g. tablename= yyy ) INPUT ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
10 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)