Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed script to generate hyperlinks refuses to work Post 302258048 by markfgilliland on Thursday 13th of November 2008 06:02:00 PM
Old 11-13-2008
sed script to generate hyperlinks refuses to work

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and not a programmer, but I'm writing a bash script to preprocess definitions of technical terms by inserting hyperlinks pointing to other pages in the glossary before the pages are posted to our server, using a standard naming convention for the pages. The script searches through a set of text (all the definitions) and insert hyperlinks when it finds specific terms (the terms). The script also generates a cleaned-up version of the terms for the hyperlink, getting rid of uppercase, non-valid characters for filenames, etc. So the idea is to replace the term in the original file by the term plus a hyperlink to the page for that term.

The individual comands used to work (I swear) when I first wrote it, but in refining it I've busted it and struggled for two days now trying to get it to work, including step by step, or as a script...can't figure out how I've broken it. I hoping someone wil spot the error, grateful for any help you can provide, it doesn't have to be efficient, just work.

Symptom is only the last hyperlink in the terms in included, instead of all of them

Here's the (non-working) script as is, mainly just search and replace, grateful for any help you can provide....

#!/bin/bash
sh --version
debug=":"
debug="echo"
SEQ=/usr/bin/seq
#tr -s '\n' < definitions.txt > temp1.txt
#tr -s ' ' < temp1.txt > definitions.txt
sed -i "s/\./yyyyy/g" definitions.txt
sed -i "s/(/ ( /g" definitions.txt
sed -i "s/\//zzzzz/g" definitions.txt
#sed -i "s/(/( /g" definitions.txt
sed -i "s/,/ , /g" definitions.txt
sed -i "s/)/ ) /g" definitions.txt
tr ' ' '_' < definitions.txt > definitions_underscore
tr -s '\n' < terms > temp2
tr -s ' ' < temp2 > terms
tr A-Z a-z < terms > terms_lowercase
tr -d ' =;:`"<>,./?!@#$%^&(){}[]+~-' < terms_lowercase > terms_url
sed -i "s/\./yyyyy/g" terms
sed -i "s/\//zzzzz/g" terms
tr ' ' '_' < terms > terms_search
a=( $( cat terms_search ) )
b=( $( cat terms_url ) )
$debug " Number of elements in array is $(( ${#a[@]} ))"
for i in $($SEQ 0 $((${#a[@]} - 1)))
do
echo ${a[$i]}
echo ${b[$i]}
sed -i "s/_"${a[$i]}"_/\_\<a\_href="\"${b[$i]}"\.php\"\>"${a[$i]}"\<\/a\> /g" definitions_underscore
done
sed -i "s/__(__/(/g" definitions_underscore.txt
sed -i "s/__,/,/g" definitions_underscore.txt
sed -i "s/__)/)/g" definitions_underscore.txt
sed -i "s/yyyyy/\./g" definitions_underscore.txt
sed -i "s/zzzzz/\//g" definitions_underscore.txt
sed -i "s/yyyyy/\./g" terms.txt
sed -i "s/_\./\./g" terms.txt
sed -i "s/ \./\./g" terms.txt
tr '_' ' ' < definitions_underscore > definitions_linked.html

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab refuses to save changes!

I'm trying to create a new crontab entry for a user on a debian box but whenever I do a crontab -e or crontab -u username -e then edit the crontab (with vim as my default editor) and :wq. I get the error message: no crontab for username - using an empty one crontab: no changes made to crontab... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: fire>ant>
18 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed script. How does it work?

I'm using this command sed -e "s/'/'/g" -e 's/&quot;/"/g' -e 's/&amp;/\&/g' myfile.txt My question is does this command reads file 3 times applying different replacement each time or it reads it only once and do 3 replacements at the same time? My concern is, since I have big files (1 MB or more) that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: billy5
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace buttons with hyperlinks

I have a script that uploads file push buttons, but i want to replace buttons with hyperlinks. Please send suggessions Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: handshakeit
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Email address hyperlinks in PDF

Hi there, when I convert a Word document to PDF (with different tools) everything works fine, but my email address name.surname@xxxmail.com in hyperlinks is changed in surname@xxxmail.com. While if I try with the same address without the dot namesurname@xxxmail.com everything works correctly.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Giordano Bruno
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using SED to generate new file from template

Hi there! I am using a BASH script to read a CSV file (containing variable values)using while read, and for every record I want SED to get a template from a file, and using the variables read from the CSV, write a new file. #!/bin/bash current_ifs=$IFS ; #backup original IFS, need ","... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppucci
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

examples of hyperlinks in emails

Hi All, Im using bash on a sloaris box. I am using mailx to send emails from the unix box to internal email accounts. Does anyone have an example of how I can generate a hyperlink within the email body so that when the recipeint recieves the email, they can click on the link and the link... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satnamx
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate script perl mail log not work

Dear unix forum members, I'm working on a script that will parse a mail machine's logs and print a list of email addresses in this format: authen@domain.com | sender@domain | recipient@domain exam account1@domain1.com | sender2@domain2.com |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: puka
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

My script work on Linux but not work in sunos.

My script work on Linux but not work in sun os. my script. logFiles="sentLog1.log sentLog2.log" intial_time="0 0" logLocation="/usr/local/tomcat/logs/" sleepTime=600 failMessage=":: $(tput bold)Log not update$(tput rmso) = " successMessage="OK" arr=($logFiles)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : to get all the hyperlinks from the xlsx sheet(hyperlinks not visible in excel sheet directly)

Hi folks, I have a requirement in perl to print all the hyperlink from the spreadsheet(xlsx). Spreadsheet contains few lines of hyperlink data (pic attached). P.S. Hyperlink is behind the data and not visible in excel sheet directly. Now using perl script I need to copy the hyperlinks in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
3 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)