Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed command to find, manipulate and replace a number Post 302257868 by LT_2008 on Thursday 13th of November 2008 09:00:25 AM
Old 11-13-2008
Thanks Danmero - I tried the awk command but it gave me a syntax error.. not much other info on the error

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to use sed or perl command to find and replace a directory in a file

how to use sed command to find and replace a directory i have a file.. which contains lot of paths ... for eg.. file contains.. /usr/kk/rr/12345/1 /usr/kk/rr/12345/2 /usr/kk/rr/12345/3 /usr/kk/rr/12345/4 /usr/kk/rr/12345/5 /usr/kk/rr/12345/6 /usr/kk/rr/12345/7... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wip_vasikaran
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using SED to replace a random number?

Hi all, I need to run a number of scripts which have a certain phrase on them so I have identified these by; grep -l 100 *script | sort -u Normally I could just run something along the lines of; for i in `grep -l 100 *script | sort -u`; do ./${i}; done However before I run each of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to find and replace

Hello All, I need a sed command to find and replace below text in multiple files in a directory. Original Text :- "$SCRIPT_PATH/files" Replace with :- "$RESOURCE_FILE" Thank you in advance !!! Regards, Anand Shah (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed find and replace command not working

Hi, Am trying to replace a character '-' with 'O' in position 289 in my file but am not success with below command. sed 's/^\(.\{289\}\)-/\1O/' filename sed: 0602-404 Function s/^\(.\{289\}\)-/\1O/ cannot be parsed. Thanks in Advance Sara Video tutorial on how to use code tags in The... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara183
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to skip the first line during find and replace operation

Hi Gurus, I did an exhaustive search for finding the script using "sed" to exclude the first line of file during find and replace. The first line in my file is the header names. Thanks for your help.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace using sed command

The content of the file filea.txt is as follows. --------- case $HOSTNAME in aaa) DS_PARM_VALUE_SET=vsDev APT_Configuration_File=/appl/infoserver/Server/Configurations/2node.apt ;; bbb) DS_PARM_VALUE_SET=vsQA... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line... here is some basic execution flow.. the line number is 412 lineNo=412 Now i have a line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Passing the Output of grep to sed command - to find and replace a string in a file.

I have a file example.txt as follows :SomeTextGoesHere $$TODAY_DT=20140818 $$TODAY_DT=20140818 $$TODAY_DT=20140818I need to automatically update the date (20140818) in the above file, by getting the new date as argument, using a shell script. (It would even be better if I could pass... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SriRamKrish
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to replace a range of number

Trying to use SED to replace numbers that fall into a range but can't seem to get the logic to work and am wondering if SED will do this. I have a file with the following numbers 3 26 20 5. For the numbers that are greater than zero and less than 25, SED would add the word range after the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyf
7 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)