Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: find files by OWNER
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting find files by OWNER Post 302251112 by joeyg on Saturday 25th of October 2008 06:38:30 AM
Old 10-25-2008
Tools

Can you use an ls -l to get a listing of files, then an awk command to only select on the appropprate column?

Why the restrictions on certain approaches?

Your original request:
Quote:
How to get them using find command based on owner pipe
Your follow-up:
Quote:
not using find command at all and ls -R parameter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to extract owner from find command

hi how can I extract the owner of the file from the find command that I used below find /home -type f -atime +5 I tried something like this but didnt work. find /home -type f -atime +5 -ls |cut -f5 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command to find the files under particular owner

Hi, I need a command to find a files under particular owner ?All the files in the system for the particular user id is the owner? Please help me on this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayaramanit
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find files by owner

Hello, I have a problem, I need to find files in folder by owner, not using find command at all and ls -R parameter. Thanx a lot. Best regarts (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Boliakas
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to know owner of a file without ls and find command

How to know owner of a file without ls and find command :p (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swat
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

to parse a directory and its subdirectories and find owner name of files

hi all, i need to capture all the files in a directory and its subdirectories that have owner name different than the root owner. for one file it is " stat -c %U filename " but i need to search for each and every file and record it. thanks in advance (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vyasa
14 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How UNIX admin set up this? how files of 744 of other owner can be removed by another owner?

Hi all, We have some files are under 744 permissions and the the owner is say owner1 and group1. Now we have another user owner2 of group2, owner2 can remove files of the owner1 and the permission of those files are 744, unix admin told us he did some config at his side so we can do that. ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGunMan
14 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

command to find the owner of a db

Hi, Im working with an Informix db, i would like to know the command to identify the owner of a particular database Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using find to search for any owner having execute permissions.

Hi I need help. I need to use find (or grep I don't care) to recursively search for files who have any kind of executable permissions (group and/or owner and/or other). I am looking for *.c and *.h This what I am using now: find . -name *.h -perm -111 -print but I don't want to retype that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dissectcode
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find DL Owner info using ldapsearch?

Currently i have following syntax: ldapsearch -D "CN=..,OU=..,OU=All Businesses,DC=..,DC=..,DC=.." -w .. -h .. -p .. -b "OU=All Businesses,DC=..,DC=..,DC=.." "managedObjects=$DL_NAME_CN" employeeNumber givenName sn -S employeeNumber -x which gives me following info: "requesting:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsenghani
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the owner user of each folder in a list

Hello I have a file containing the list of different folders like this file_list.txt: /s8/tests/test1 /s8/tests/tests/test2 /s8/tests/test2 /s8/tests/tests/test2/test5 I want a script to put the owner user of each folder in front of it in the text file. So the reult would become... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
5 Replies
SHAR(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   SHAR(1)

NAME
shar -- create a shell archive of files SYNOPSIS
shar file ... DESCRIPTION
The shar command writes a sh(1) shell script to the standard output which will recreate the file hierarchy specified by the command line op- erands. Directories will be recreated and must be specified before the files they contain (the find(1) utility does this correctly). The shar command is normally used for distributing files by ftp(1) or mail(1). EXAMPLES
To create a shell archive of the program ls(1) and mail it to Rick: cd ls shar `find . -print` | mail -s "ls source" rick To recreate the program directory: mkdir ls cd ls ... <delete header lines and examine mailed archive> ... sh archive SEE ALSO
compress(1), mail(1), tar(1), uuencode(1) HISTORY
The shar command appeared in 4.4BSD. BUGS
The shar command makes no provisions for special types of files or files containing magic characters. The shar command cannot handle files without a newline (' ') as the last character. It is easy to insert trojan horses into shar files. It is strongly recommended that all shell archive files be examined before running them through sh(1). Archives produced using this implementation of shar may be easily examined with the command: egrep -v '^[X#]' shar.file BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD