Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can awk do lookups to other files and process results Post 302250521 by joeyg on Thursday 23rd of October 2008 02:56:28 PM
Old 10-23-2008
Question Can awk do lookups to other files and process results

I know that 'brute-force' scripting could accomplish this with lots of cat/echo/cut/grep and more. But, because my real file has 800k records, and the matching files have 10-20k records, this is not time-possible or efficient.
I have input file:
Code:
> cat file_in
Joe   123456  30 Main St    1234    F   
Jim   101362  1492 Hugh     0101    P   
Kerry 040419  6091 Lost St  0101    F   
Linda 123456  50 High Way   1235        
Matt  242424  48 Speedway Dr4343    F   
Kerrin180118  99 Skaters Way2012    P  *

(you can ignore the first line - just a help since a fixed record file)
(tail +2 file_in skips over this line during testing)

Begin by only reviewing records where position 40 is blank = still need to process.

Want to see those records that cannot be processed because (a) the data in columns 7-12 does not exist in the following file:
Code:
> cat file_cd1

I know Joe does not match, so ideally I would like to put a "1" in position 39 telling me I failed the first test.

A second test (b) is to only process records that are "abc" based on lookup of columns 29-32 into the following file:
Code:
> cat file_cd2
0101 abc
1234 abc 
1235 ghi
2012 ghi
4343 ghi
9012 abc

Linda & Matt should then have a "2" put in position 39.

So, my start would be
Code:
awk 'substr($0,40,1)==" " {print}' file_in >file_out

which would create an output file, but only records I want to even consider that are not yet marked as processed. So, yes I intend to start with 6 records and make a file of 5 records. I now need to add those two codes at position 39 when appropriate.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

TWS 8.4 on HP-UX - lookups?

Just wondering if anyone else is using IBM's TWS on HP-UX 11.11i. Seeing some very strange name-lookup issues when it comes to using various utilities on the system. The same software works fine o0n AIX, Linux, Solaris, etc, but on HP-UX there is noticeable time lags in issuing commands - at the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rnbwkat
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Matching columns between 2 files and reordering results

I am trying to match 4 colums (first_name,last_name,dob,ssn) between 2 files and when there is an exact match I need to write out these matches to a new file with a combination of fields from file1 and file2. I've managed to come up with a way to match these 2 files based on the columns (see below)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambroze
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to parse results from TWO files

I am trying to parse two files and get data that does not match in one of the columns ( column 3 in my case ) Data for two files are as follows A.txt ===== abc 10 5 0 1 16 xyz 16 1 1 0 18 efg 30 8 0 2 40 ijk 22 2 0 1 25 B.txt ===== abc... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: roger67
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk help: Match data fields from 2 files & output results from both into 1 file

I need to take 2 input files and create 1 output based on matches from each file. I am looking to match field #1 in both files (Userid) and create an output file that will be a combination of fields from both file1 and file2 if there are any differences in the fields 2,3,4,5,or 6. Below is an... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambroze
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash-awk to process thousands of files

Hi to all, I have thousand of files in a folder with names with format "FILE-YYYY-MM-DD-HHMM" for what I want to send the following AWK command awk '/Code.*/' FILE-2014* I'd like to separate all files that have the same date to a folder named with the corresponding date. For example, if I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
7 Replies

6. BSD

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveeng
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process multiple large files with awk

Hi there, I'm camor and I'm trying to process huge files with bash scripting and awk. I've got a dataset folder with 10 files (16 millions of row each one - 600MB), and I've got a sorted file with all keys inside. For example: a sample_1 200 a.b sample_2 10 a sample_3 10 a sample_1 10 a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: camor
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Comparing 2 files using awk , not getting any results - C shell

I am using c shell and trying to compare 2 files using awk . But the below awk statement doesnt give any result. Pls. advise why am not getting the desired o/p with the corrected awk script. Need to acheive this solution in awk using C shell. awk 'FNR==NR{a++;next} {for(i in a) {if ( a=$0... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: reach2khan
8 Replies
OTFDUMP(1)							   User Commands							OTFDUMP(1)

NAME
otfdump - otfdump DESCRIPTION
otfdump - convert otf traces or parts of it into a human readable, long version Options: -h, --help show this help message -V show OTF version -f <n> set max number of filehandles available (default: 50) -o <file> output file if the ouput file is unspecified the stdout will be used --num <a> <b> output only records no. [a,b] --time <a> <b> output only records with time stamp in [a,b] --nodef omit definition records --noevent omit event records --nostat omit statistic records --nosnap omit snapshot records --nomarker omit marker records --nokeyvalue omit key-value pairs --fullkeyvalue show key-value pairs including the contents of byte-arrays --procs <a> show only processes <a> <a> is a space-seperated list of process-tokens --records <a> show only records <a> <a> is a space-seperated list of record-type-numbers record-type-numbers can be found in OTF_Definitions.h (OTF_*_RECORD) -s, --silent do not display anything except the time otfdump needed to read the tracefile otfdump 1.10.2 May 2012 OTFDUMP(1)