Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting On how to select the right tool for a given task Post 302248591 by cfajohnson on Saturday 18th of October 2008 01:37:10 PM
Old 10-18-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
sed is a programmable text filter, nothing more, nothing less. Why its use should be limited to files when its normal modus operandi is to work in a pipeline eludes me.

For efficiency in both time and resources.
Quote:
csh is not the standard shell (mostly because three is no such thing as the standard shell at all),

There certainly is a standard shell. It is specified in the Open Group Base Specifications.
Quote:
but it is a standard shell of course.

Though it is included in most, if not all, *nixen, csh is not required by the UNIX specification.

Scripts written for a standard shell will not run in csh.
Quote:
Conceded it is outdated, its bugridden and its use is - rightfully so - discouraged. But i don't know any Unix derivate without a C-shell. SAP even has all its start- stop- and installation-scripts use csh and the SAP admin user is configured to have csh as default shell.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

process vs task

Hi, I am new to this forum and unix too. I have just started learning unix. As I was going through the first chapter, I read that unix is multitasking, multiprogramming, multiprocessing and multiuser OS. My question is: Is there any difference between a TASK and a PROCESS. How are PROCESS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hana
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment and Uncomment single task out of multiple task

I have a file contains TASK gsnmpproxy { CommandLine = $SMCHOME/bin/gsnmpProxy.exe } TASK gsnmpdbgui { CommandLine = $SMCHOME/bin/gsnmpdbgui.exe I would like to comment and than uncomment specific task eg TASK gsnmpproxy Pls suggest how to do in shell script (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhusmita
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse an XML task list to create each task.xml file

I have an task definition listing xml file that contains a list of tasks such as <TASKLIST <TASK definition="Completion date" id="Taskname1" Some other <CODE name="Code12" <Parameter pname="Dog" input="5.6" units="feet" etc /Parameter> <Parameter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MissI
3 Replies

4. Programming

Help with task daemon

believe it or not but this is my first c program (i've worked with java, C#, php though) I am trying to make a daemon that checks if mplayer is running(it's for a projection room) and if it is not then to run mplayer with a file.. So far it's not working and I don't know why Help and comments... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: james2432
5 Replies

5. Boot Loaders

Reboot and Select Proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key

Hello, I have kubuntu on my laptop and now I decided to switch to Windows 7. I made the bios settings properly (first choice is boot from cd\vd) but I see the error " reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key " I have tried CD and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

last task for my script

hi, infile- create table salary ( occupation_code char(40), earnings decimal(10,2), occ_yearend integer ); outfile- salary:create table salary salary:( occupation_code char(40), salary: earnings decimal(10,2), salary: occ_yearend integer salary:); Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

task

Hi all, I'm newbie and stuck here. Thanks for any help. Input(txt file) a b X c d Y e f Z g h W Requested output: a b X Y c d Y X e f Z W g h W Z Please use code tags when posting data and code samples! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: hernand
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Task

Hi experts, I have a problem with the below shell task: I need to modify the file creatin a paired row , per each row which matches filter (e.g. number of nonempty columns = 5) Output should look like this: second row is original one from the input, first row(red) is pairing row, it's... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: hernand
29 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

[HELP] Easy task

I have a simple task for my school work. I'm new with unix, so i need help. I need to write a scenario. Task is. From created txt file read first 3 words and create a 3 catalogs with those 3 words. 2 of those new catalogs should be transferred to other directory. If someone could help me just... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: justynykas
1 Replies
suspend(1)							   User Commands							suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)