Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Scripting to convert underscores to spaces Post 302248399 by brakeb on Friday 17th of October 2008 01:28:13 PM
Old 10-17-2008
okay, now, how would one do that in a script? I do not have a "rename" command, as I am using OpenBSD. My "mv" command does not even have a "-e" switch

Would there be a way using "sed" vice "tr". I need this automated. I know how to use the escape "\" for spaces, but I have dynamic filenames.

Regards,
Bryan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change spaces to underscores script !!!

Hi everybody! Im not good in scripting and I need a script to take all the files with spaces in their names and change it to underscores. alice cooper.mp3 >> alice_cooper.mp3 Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Rename/Convert Files in Shell Scripting?

Hi All, I want to Rename/Convert all the .doc files in to .pdf format. I am using the following Script. But the final output is not proper. ########################################## cd /u13/prepaid/ftpdata/INfiles/sap/ for name in `ls *.doc` do name1=`echo $name | sed -e... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanu_oracle
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot get to convert multiple spaces to one space

Hi Guys, I am using a Redhat Linux Centos machine and trying to convert multiple spaces in a file to one space. I am using: sed '/./,/^$/!d' input_file > output_file I also tried cat -s Both gave me no change in the output file. I tried this on cygwin and it worked... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert rows (with spaces) to columns

Hey all, I have a list in the format ; variable length with spaces more variable information some more variable information and I would like to transform that 'column' into rows ; variable length with spaces more variable information some more variable information Any... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: TAPE
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell command to convert low values to spaces

I neead a script which converts low values to the spaces, When I used sed -e 's/\x00/\x20/g' inputfile command it is removing the low values but not replacing it with spaces. Please help me. Its Uregent. Thanks Sam (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsreee35
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert string into integer in shell scripting?

Hi All, sessionid_remote=$(echo "select odb_sessionid from sysopendb where odb_dbname='syscdr';" | sudo -u cucluster ssh ucbu-aricent-vm93 "source /opt/cisco/connection/lib/connection.profile; $INFORMIXDIR/bin/dbaccess sysmaster@ciscounity") for sid in $sessionid_remote;do if * ]];... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deeptis
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find no of underscores in a variable?

Hi i have a variable var=a_b_c i want command to find no. of underscores in a variable Thank you (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pracheth
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

No. of underscores in a file name

Hi I want to filter my files which has more than 1 underscores in it.how can i achieve this. Ex: if my file name is a_b_c, a_b. my command should result only a_b_c Thanks Pracheth (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pracheth
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace spaces with underscores up to first comma but not after the comma

I have a comma delimited file of major codes and descriptions. I want to replace all occurrences of spaces with underscores up to the first comma (only in the first field), but not replace spaces following the comma. For instance I have the following snippet of the file: EK ED,Elementary and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdouty
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert mutiple spaces file to single tab

I have the following file I wanted to convert mutiple spaces to tab: I tried cat filename | tr ' ' '\t' or sed 's/ */ /' FILE but it looses the format 5557263102 5557263102 5552074858 5726310211 5557263102 5557263102 5557263103 5557263103 2142406768 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amir07
2 Replies
libcaca-style(3caca)						      libcaca						      libcaca-style(3caca)

NAME
libcaca-style - Libcaca coding style General guidelines A pretty safe rule of thumb is: look at what has already been done and try to do the same. o Tabulations should be avoided and replaced with eight spaces. o Indentation is generally 4 spaces. o Lines should wrap at most at 79 characters. o Do not leave whitespace at the end of lines. o Do not use multiple spaces for anything else than indentation. o Code qui fait des warnings == code de porc == deux baffes dans ta gueule C coding style Try to use short names whenever possible (i for indices, w for width, cv for canvas...). Macros are always uppercase, variable and function names are always lowercase. Use the underscore to separate words within names: #define BROKEN 0 #define MAX(x, y) ((x > y) ? (x) : (y)) unsigned int x, y, w, h; char *font_name; void frobulate_every_three_seconds(void); const is a suffix. It's char const *foo, not const char *foo. Use spaces after commas and between operators. Do not use spaces after an opening parenthesis or before a closing one: a += 2; b = (a * (c + d)); x = min(x1, x2, x3); Do not put a space between functions and the corresponding opening parenthesis: int function(int); A space can be inserted after keywords such as for, while or if, but consistency with the rest of the page is encouraged: if(a == b) return; if (p == NULL) Do not put parentheses around return values: return a + (b & x) + d[10]; Opening braces should be on a line of their own, aligned with the current block. Braces are optional for one-liners: int function(int a) { if(a & 0x84) return a; if(a < 0) { return -a; } else { a /= 2; switch(a) { case 0: case 1: return -1; break; default: return a; } } } C++ coding style Nothing here yet. Version 0.99.beta18 Fri Apr 6 2012 libcaca-style(3caca)