Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Show operating system, current user & network Post 302246564 by frozentin on Tuesday 14th of October 2008 01:44:13 AM
Old 10-14-2008
geektool?

looks like he's talking about "geektool" pref pane.

various geektool related tutorials on lifehacker maybe of help.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Is Unix a Network operating system for Macintosh computers

I am in the process of reading up on and learning about linux,and as i read, i am seeing that it was built off of the unix system platform,and i also believe that it is used in the mac computer field,i would like to know if this is true, and if i should learn about the macintosh computer... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bill1263
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Operating System

Hello Everyone, I'm new to this forum and Unix. I have a couple of questions and please, excuse my ignorance. I have a spare machine which is now running MS Windows 98 and I would like to format the disk and install the Unix operating system along with Oracle 8i and SQL Server. My... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: IronBear
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP-UX system & Network Administration II.PDF

Dear all, I plan to take HP-UX cert. EXAM. But, I cannot find hp-ux system & network administration II.pdf file Do you know where can I download?? Do you have? can you send to me? Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkpcman
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operating System

Which is much more powerful as an operating system: 1. Windows 2000 2. Windows 98 3. Windows XP 4. Windows ME 5. Unix 6. Linux and why is it much more powerful than the other operating systems that i have mentioned. thanks for your info... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alecks1975
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Network Shell Script & Blade Logic & Network Security

I am going to take up a position in Data & Network Security. I would need to write network shell scripts doing the following task: Going to around 2000 servers and findout which groups has access to each servers and which ids are there in each group that has access. I need to implement... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Show all network info

Is there a command that display all network info. I'm looking for ip address, subnet mask, gateway, and dns. If there isn't a single command could someone please write me a shellscript that can do this? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Best Operating System

Hello All, I want to install Linux on my machine, so please tell me one thing which is the best to install- 1.)Red Hat 2.)Cent OS 3.)Red Hat 4.)Ubuntu 5.)Fedora except that if there is any please tell me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What's my Operating System

Can we know the operating given the IP address or DNS of the host. All I have is file://myserver/myapp (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Pick Operating System

Anyone know anything about "Advanced Plus Operating Environment". Preferably release 10 Revision 522Gcd probably dated 2003. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
4 Replies
environ(4)							   File Formats 							environ(4)

NAME
environ, pref, variables - user-preference variables files for AT&T FACE SYNOPSIS
$HOME/pref/.environ $HOME/pref/.variables $HOME/FILECABINET/.pref $HOME/WASTEBASKET/.pref DESCRIPTION
The .environ, .pref, and .variables files contain variables that indicate user preferences for a variety of operations. The .environ and .variables files are located under the user's $HOME/pref directory. The .pref files are found under $HOME/FILECABINET, $HOME/WASTEBASKET, and any directory where preferences were set via the organize command. Names and descriptions for each variable are presented below. Vari- ables are listed one per line and are of the form variable=value. .environ Variables Variables found in .environ include: LOGINWIN[1-4] Windows that are opened when FACE is initialized. SORTMODE Sort mode for file folder listings. Values include the following hexadecimal digits: 1 Sorted alphabetically by name. 2 Files most recently modified first. 800 Sorted alphabetically by object type. The values above may be listed in reverse order by ORing the following value: 1000 List objects in reverse order. For example, a value of 1002 will produce a folder listing with files LEAST recently modified displayed first. A value of 1001 would produce a "reverse" alphabetical by name listing of the folder. DISPLAYMODE Display mode for file folders. Values include the following hexadecimal digits: 0 File names only. 4 File names and brief description. 8 File names, description, plus additional information. WASTEPROMPT Prompt before emptying wastebasket (yes/no?). WASTEDAYS Number of days before emptying wastebasket. PRINCMD[1-3] Print command defined to print files. UMASK Holds default permissions with which files will be created. .pref Variables Variables found in .pref are the following: SORTMODE Contains the same values as the SORTMODE variable described in .environ above. DISPMODE Contains the same values as the DISPLAYMODE variable described in .environ above. .variable Variables Variables found in .variables include: EDITOR Default editor. PS1 Shell prompt. SunOS 5.10 3 Jul 1990 environ(4)