Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to give an ordinary user the superuser (root) ID which is 0 Post 302245758 by sharaola on Saturday 11th of October 2008 01:49:13 AM
Old 10-11-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_becker
You can use sudo to allow them execute commands as UID 0 or you can edit the passwd file and make their UID 0 as well.
Thanks but any other solution with a command rather than switchuser(su) ??

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

No user able to login except root(superuser)

Hi All, Oracle 8.0 database is running on SCO-UNIXWARE 7.0 Operating system. Some how ORACLLE DATABASE has crashed. After rebooting the PC only the SUPER USER could login. No other user is able to login. we need ORACLE user to start the DATABASE again. It is asking for the password, after... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: konda
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

switching user from root to ordinary user

Good day Guys!!! I am currently making a script in AIX, the script runs a SAS job, the owner of the script is the root, but the SAS jobs cannot be run by the root, as it should be run by a user 'sasia'. But inside the script, root creates a logfile, so what I need is just to su to sasia for the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasia
3 Replies

3. AIX

[Help] Give privilege to an ordinary user

I'm trying to give a non-root user the right to start IBM HTTP Server, the web server is listening on port 80, but for AIX, ports under 1024 are privilege ports which can be used only by root. /usr/IBMIHS/bin# ./apachectl start (13)Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address :::80... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ibmer414
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i change to super user then revert back to ordinary user ,using shell script?

Hi all, I am trying to eject the cdrom from a livecd after certain stage... Now assuming that it is possible to eject,please consider my issue!!! The OS boots into a regular user by default...so i am unable to use the eject command to push out the drive... However if i try pfexec eject it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
3 Replies

5. Linux

grant root privileges to ordinary user

Hi, Is it possible to grant root privileges to an ordinary user? Other than 'sudo', is there some way under Users/Groups configuration? I want ordinary user to be able to mount, umount and use command mt. /Brendan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brendan76
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Possible to give non root user sudo to "crontab -l"

Does anyone know if this is possible? I want to give some users access to root's crontab but only with a read privilege. Is this possible to do or can only root or people with full root sudo view root's cron? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezoX
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Reset lost superuser/root password in x86

I've come across this question during interview as Sys Adm. "How you reset lost root/superuser password on x86 system running solaris (8/9/10) which remotely located. (Not locally in front of you)" As much as I know, you must be physically in front of the server to reset the lost... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahru
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Assign Superuser rights to normal user

Hi, It's actually strange, but Is there any way through which I can assign super user rights to normal user. Actually su/sudo/rbac does solve these but switching id is the problem for an application. For eg: $dladm show-dev insufficient priviliges. Is there any way to get it done ? ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuxian
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give root access to non root user?

Currently in my system Red Hat is installed. And Many user connect to my machine via SSH Techia Terminal. I want to give some users a root level access. Can anyone please help me how to make it possible. I too searched on the Google but didn't find the correct way Regards ADI (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
4 Replies
sudo_root(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      sudo_root(8)

NAME
sudo_root - How to run administrative commands SYNOPSIS
sudo command sudo -i INTRODUCTION
By default, the password for the user "root" (the system administrator) is locked. This means you cannot login as root or use su. Instead, the installer will set up sudo to allow the user that is created during install to run all administrative commands. This means that in the terminal you can use sudo for commands that require root privileges. All programs in the menu will use a graphical sudo to prompt for a password. When sudo asks for a password, it needs your password, this means that a root password is not needed. To run a command which requires root privileges in a terminal, simply prepend sudo in front of it. To get an interactive root shell, use sudo -i. ALLOWING OTHER USERS TO RUN SUDO
By default, only the user who installed the system is permitted to run sudo. To add more administrators, i. e. users who can run sudo, you have to add these users to the group 'admin' by doing one of the following steps: * In a shell, do sudo adduser username admin * Use the graphical "Users & Groups" program in the "System settings" menu to add the new user to the admin group. BENEFITS OF USING SUDO
The benefits of leaving root disabled by default include the following: * Users do not have to remember an extra password, which they are likely to forget. * The installer is able to ask fewer questions. * It avoids the "I can do anything" interactive login by default - you will be prompted for a password before major changes can happen, which should make you think about the consequences of what you are doing. * Sudo adds a log entry of the command(s) run (in /var/log/auth.log). * Every attacker trying to brute-force their way into your box will know it has an account named root and will try that first. What they do not know is what the usernames of your other users are. * Allows easy transfer for admin rights, in a short term or long term period, by adding and removing users from the admin group, while not compromising the root account. * sudo can be set up with a much more fine-grained security policy. * On systems with more than one administrator using sudo avoids sharing a password amongst them. DOWNSIDES OF USING SUDO
Although for desktops the benefits of using sudo are great, there are possible issues which need to be noted: * Redirecting the output of commands run with sudo can be confusing at first. For instance consider sudo ls > /root/somefile will not work since it is the shell that tries to write to that file. You can use ls | sudo tee /root/somefile to get the behaviour you want. * In a lot of office environments the ONLY local user on a system is root. All other users are imported using NSS techniques such as nss-ldap. To setup a workstation, or fix it, in the case of a network failure where nss-ldap is broken, root is required. This tends to leave the system unusable. An extra local user, or an enabled root password is needed here. GOING BACK TO A TRADITIONAL ROOT ACCOUNT
This is not recommended! To enable the root account (i.e. set a password) use: sudo passwd root Afterwards, edit the sudo configuration with sudo visudo and comment out the line %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL to disable sudo access to members of the admin group. SEE ALSO
sudo(8), https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo February 8, 2006 sudo_root(8)