Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: select a particular field
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting select a particular field Post 302244959 by a2156z on Thursday 9th of October 2008 04:00:03 AM
Old 10-09-2008
awk '{print $2,NR}' "$file_name" | cut -d'[' -f2 | tr -d ']' > "$backfile"

Last edited by a2156z; 10-09-2008 at 05:07 AM..
a2156z

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

select last field from a file

hi everybody i would to select the last field of a file here as you can see i select the field number 8 y=`cat sortie2 | grep "^"| grep "starting"| awk '{ print $8}'` but line can containt more or less field in never know, i just know is the last one so i wondering to know if is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kykyboss
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

::select statement return value with correct field size::

Hi Everyone, I am facing a problem regarding the select from sybase, the return with the incorrect size. For example, field is NAME(20). After i selected from sybase, the result is nicky. after i assign it to another declaration variable, it will be in actual name "nicky" , what i need... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryanW
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort alpha on 1st field, numerical on 2nd field (sci notation)

I want to sort alphabetically on the first field and sort in descending numerical order on the 2nd field. With a normal "sort -r -n" it does this: abc ||| 5e-05 ||| bla abc ||| 3 ||| ble def ||| 1 ||| abc def ||| 0.2 ||| def As you can see it ignores the fact that 5e-05 is actually 0.00005... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FrancoisCN
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to select or make reference to, part of a field

For a field format such as AAL1001_MD82, how do I select(and use in if statement) only the last four elements( in this case MD82) or the first three elements (in this case AAL)? For instance, how do I do the following - if first three elements of $x == yyy, then ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: akshaykr2
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, comma as field separator and text inside double quotes as a field.

Hi, all I need to get fields in a line that are separated by commas, some of the fields are enclosed with double quotes, and they are supposed to be treated as a single field even if there are commas inside the quotes. sample input: for this line, 5 fields are supposed to be extracted, they... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
8 Replies

6. Boot Loaders

Reboot and Select Proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key

Hello, I have kubuntu on my laptop and now I decided to switch to Windows 7. I made the bios settings properly (first choice is boot from cd\vd) but I see the error " reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key " I have tried CD and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
0 Replies

7. Programming

Select and group by excluding one field

Dear community, I have a very simple query (on Oracle 11g) to select 3 fields: select field1, field2, field3, count(*) from table where... group by field1, field2, field3 having count(*) > 10;Now, what I need, is exclude "field3" from the "group by" since I only need field 1 and 2 to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to select a particular field from a drop-down menu in a webpage using perl script?

Hi Team, I have a requirement to login into URL using username and password , then I have to select a "particular name" from drop-down menu and then Read the values user records etc.... using perl. Is it possible to do in perl script ? (OR) Can you please let me know which scripting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: latika
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to select one field

Hi, I saw your post.. I have a dought in awk command... how to get the output from a file. i need a first column in etc/passwd file in a single column (in indivijual line)... i couldn't get with this command cat /etc/passwd | awk -F ":" '{printf $1}' Kindly help This thread was created... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dheepak s
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select only the lines of a file starting with a field which is matcing a list. awk?

Hello I have a large file1 which has many events like "2014010420" and following lines under each event that start with text . It has this form: 2014010420 num --- --- num .... NTE num num --- num... EFA num num --- num ... LASW num num --- num... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaethon
9 Replies
utmpx(4)							   File Formats 							  utmpx(4)

NAME
utmpx, wtmpx - utmpx and wtmpx database entry formats SYNOPSIS
#include <utmpx.h> /var/adm/utmpx /var/adm/wtmpx DESCRIPTION
The utmpx and wtmpx files are extended database files that have superseded the obsolete utmp and wtmp database files. The utmpx database contains user access and accounting information for commands such as who(1), write(1), and login(1). The wtmpx database contains the history of user access and accounting information for the utmpx database. USAGE
Applications should not access these databases directly, but should use the functions described on the getutxent(3C) manual page to inter- act with the utmpx and wtmpx databases to ensure that they are maintained consistently. FILES
/var/adm/utmpx user access and adminstration information /var/adm/wtmpx history of user access and adminstrative information SEE ALSO
getutxent(3C), wait(3C)wait.h(3HEAD) SunOS 5.10 22 Feb 1999 utmpx(4)