Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do I insert a line in the middle of a file in BASH? Post 302244856 by phenom on Wednesday 8th of October 2008 09:32:26 PM
Old 10-08-2008
How do I insert a line in the middle of a file in BASH?

I have tried

sed '/6/a text_to_inserted' file > newfile

but this inserts test_to_insert at random places in file and i want it in specific location, which is line 6.

can anyone help....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how to insert and delete characters in the middle of file

I have a problem that I want to insert and delete some chars in the middle of a file. fopen() and fdopen() just allow to append at the end. Is there any simple method or existing library that allow these actions? Thanks in advance.:confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivancheung
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk insert character in the middle of a line

I'm trying to insert a single character at position 11 in everyline of a file. My input file looks like this: 456781 ~Y~12345 456782 ~N~12300 and I want my output to look like this: 45678~1 ~Y~12345 45678~2 ~N~12300 I tried the following awk code, but it's not working:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmarino
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert text into the middle of a original file

how do u insert text into a specific place in a file, say the middle for example, without changing the name for that file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mopimp
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert text into first line of the file and middle of the file?

Script 1 Pre-requisites Create a file with x amount of lines in it, the content of your choice. Write a script that takes two arguments. The first being a line of text, the second being your newly created file. The script should take the first argument and insert it into the very top (the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali hussain
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert the 1st arg into the middle of the file

I wrote a script like #!/bin/bash echo $1 > temp cat $2 >> temp mv temp $2 now I have problem appending the above script(only using bash shell) so that it now inserts the first argument into the middle of the file. I have tried using $(('wc -l < file' / 2 )) but invain so could any one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boris
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert one file into middle of another file

how to insert one file into another file not by concatenating as usual done. file1 A B C D E F G H I J K L file2 23455 33444 33334 33345 Output shud be 23455 A B C D (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert text in the middle of a file

I want to insert a text into the middle of a file (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: relle
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to insert text in the middle of a file

Hey guys, how do we take a line of text as an argument from a user and then insert it in the middle of a file irrespective of the number of lines in the file. I am trying to do this without SED or AWK. Inserting it in the beginning and at the end is easy, but i am trying to accomplish inserting... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kartikkumar84@g
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert text in the middle of a file?

Hi, So far i've made a script that takes two argument, 1st is the contents and the 2nd is the named file. At the moment i've managed to insert new contents as a new line at the top, but i want to ask how can you insert contents in the middle of the file? Source Code #!/bin/bash #Write... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zen10
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find and display the middle line in a file using single line command.

Hi all, How can i display the middle line of a file using a single line command? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakme Pemmaiah
6 Replies
aha(1)								 Ansi HTML Adapter							    aha(1)

NAME
aha - Ansi HTML Adapter SYNOPSIS
aha [options] [-f datei] DESCRIPTION
aha takes SGR-colored Input and prints W3C conform HTML-Code. aha reads the Input from a file or stdin and writes HTML-Code to stdout. OPTIONS
--help , -h , -? A help like this --black , -b Black Background and white "standard color" --pink , -p Pink Background --iso X , -i X Uses ISO 8859-X instead of utf-8. X must be 1..16 --title X , -t X Gives the html output the title --line-fix , -l Uses a fix for inputs using control sequences to change the cursor position like htop. It's a hot fix, it may not work with any pro- gram like htop. (See EXAMPLE) EXAMPLE
aha --help | aha --black --title "the awesome aha help"> aha-help.htm Creates an HTML file with the help of aha with black background colordiff oldfile.c newfile.c | aha > colordiff.htm Creates an HTML file with a colorful diff-output of two files "oldfile.c" and "newfile.c" with white background ls --color=always | aha --pink > ls.htm Creates an HTML file with a colorful ls-output with pink background. echo a | htop | aha --black --line-fix > htop.htm Creates an HTML file with the output of htop. You have to use --line-fix due the other new-line-commands htop uses. AUTHOR
Copyleft Alexander Matthes aka Ziz 2011 zizsdl@googlemail.com SEE ALSO
http://ziz.delphigl.com/tool_aha.php August 31, 2011 aha(1)