Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove / at the end of a string if it exists Post 302244200 by tret on Tuesday 7th of October 2008 12:04:53 PM
Old 10-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikon
Code:
echo "/home/test/blah/blah/" | sed 's/\/$//'
/home/test/blah/blah

This one works well, thanks everyone for your help!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove box like special character from end of string

Hi All, How to remove a box like special character which appears at the end of a string/line/record. I have no clue what this box like special character is. It is transparent square like box. This appears in a .DAT file at the end of header. I'm to compare a value in header with a parameter.... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Qwerty123
16 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Remove comma at the end of the string

Hi i had String like UID: ABC345QWE678GFK345SA90, LENGTH 32 when I used awk ' FS, {print $1}' prints ABC345QWE678GFK345SA90, how can i getrid of that coma at the end of the string. Thanks in advance.. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reddy482
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and remove digits (if exist) from end of the string

Hi Experts, Here is what I am trying to do. 1) say I have a file with below strings database1 database2 database3 data10gdb1 data10gdb2 databasewithoutdigit 2) I want to get the below output. (- if there is any digit at the end of the string, I need to remove it) (- Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shail_boy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove white spaces from the beginning an end of a string in unix?

Suppose, I have a variable var=" name is ". I want to remove the blank spaces from the begining and endonly, not from the entire string. So, that the variable/string looks like following var="name is". Please look after the issue. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: remove digits from end of string

Hi there, im sure this is really simple but i have some strings like this e1000g123001 e1000g0 nge11101 nge3and i want to create two variables ($DRIVER and $INSTANCE). the first one containing the alpha characters that make up the first part of the string, e.g. e1000g or nge and the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines that match string at end of column

I have this: 301205 0000030000041.49000000.00 2011111815505 908 301205 0000020000029.10000000.00 2011111815505 962 301205 0000010000027.56000000.00 2011111815505 3083 312291 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: herot
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove 3rd character from the end of a random-length string

Hi, I hope someone can share there scripting fu on my problem, I would like to delete the 3rd character from a random length of string starting from the end Example Output Hope you can help me.. Thanks in advance.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines between the start string and end string including start and end string Python

Hi, I am trying to remove lines once a string is found till another string is found including the start string and end string. I want to basically grab all the lines starting with color (closing bracket). PS: The line after the closing bracket for color could be anything (currently 'more').... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dabheeruz
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove only specific char on every line when exists

Hi I need to remove "|" char when it's the last char of the line. Input file: generoso|desprendido|altruista| abnegar|ceder|sacrificar| abocetado-da|esbozado| apuntado|insinuado|incompleto abocetar|esbozar|bosquejar| diseņar|delinear ------------------------ output need --- ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lookoo
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help to delete special characters exists only at the end of the each record in UNIX file?

Hi, I have a file in unix with 15 columns.It consists special characters(#,$,^M,@,*,% etc)at the end of the each record.I want to remove these special characters.I used the following: Sed -e 's/ /g;s/ */ /g' . But It is removing special characters exists everywhere in the file(begining,middle... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshp
24 Replies
STRTOK(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 STRTOK(3)

NAME
strtok, strtok_r -- string tokens LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> char * strtok(char *str, const char *sep); char * strtok_r(char *str, const char *sep, char **last); DESCRIPTION
This interface is obsoleted by strsep(3). The strtok() function is used to isolate sequential tokens in a null-terminated string, str. These tokens are separated in the string by at least one of the characters in sep. The first time that strtok() is called, str should be specified; subsequent calls, wishing to obtain further tokens from the same string, should pass a null pointer instead. The separator string, sep, must be supplied each time, and may change between calls. The implementation will behave as if no library function calls strtok(). The strtok_r() function is a reentrant version of strtok(). The context pointer last must be provided on each call. The strtok_r() function may also be used to nest two parsing loops within one another, as long as separate context pointers are used. The strtok() and strtok_r() functions return a pointer to the beginning of each subsequent token in the string, after replacing the token itself with a NUL character. When no more tokens remain, a null pointer is returned. EXAMPLES
The following uses strtok_r() to parse two strings using separate contexts: char test[80], blah[80]; char *sep = "\/:;=-"; char *word, *phrase, *brkt, *brkb; strcpy(test, "This;is.a:test:of=the/string\tokenizer-function."); for (word = strtok_r(test, sep, &brkt); word; word = strtok_r(NULL, sep, &brkt)) { strcpy(blah, "blah:blat:blab:blag"); for (phrase = strtok_r(blah, sep, &brkb); phrase; phrase = strtok_r(NULL, sep, &brkb)) { printf("So far we're at %s:%s ", word, phrase); } } SEE ALSO
memchr(3), strchr(3), strcspn(3), strpbrk(3), strrchr(3), strsep(3), strspn(3), strstr(3), wcstok(3) STANDARDS
The strtok() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9899:1990 (``ISO C90''). AUTHORS
Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Softweyr LLC Based on the FreeBSD 3.0 implementation. BUGS
The System V strtok(), if handed a string containing only delimiter characters, will not alter the next starting point, so that a call to strtok() with a different (or empty) delimiter string may return a non-NULL value. Since this implementation always alters the next starting point, such a sequence of calls would always return NULL. BSD
November 27, 1998 BSD