Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Fiber Channel StorageTek Array Visible to OS Post 302242241 by photon on Wednesday 1st of October 2008 01:07:03 PM
Old 10-01-2008
Apparently ZFS is not needed at all.

You create more space with sscs or CAM then you have to use growfs.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Fiber Channel statistic & error level

I need information what maximum error level on FC card need clasification of critical level (SAN mass storidge) Please write screenshot from utility fcutil whith test option. Pawel (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawel_ul
0 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Configure large volume on Sun StorageTek 2540 array

Hi, We have 12x1TB SATA disks in our array and I need to create 10TB volume. I defined new storage profile on array and when I tried to add volume, I faced with ~2TB limit for new volumes. I didn't find how to set another limit on my storage profile. Is there is a way to configure one large... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Accessing a StorageTek 2530 Disk array from SUN, SPARC Enterprise T2000

Hello, Wondering if anyone can help me with mounting a file share from my Sun T2000 server running Solaris 10 to my connected 2530 disk array? I believe I've connected the disk array correctly and I have created a volume on the array using the filesystem (Sun_SAM-FS, RAID-5). The T2000... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: DundeeDancer
15 Replies

4. Solaris

Sun StorageTek Common Array Manager 6.0 works very slowly

Hi! I have Sun StorageTek 2540 FC array and CAM works very slowly - I can wait for software response even more than 2 minutes... I run this software on Windows machine with Firefox Web Browser but speed is terrible... How can I make it works at least a little bit faster?.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
2 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Backup Sun StorageTek Common Array Manager's configuration

In Sun manuals, I didn't find how to backup Sun StorageTek Common Array Manager's configuration. Is there a way to do it like backing up Brocade switch configuration? CAM is under Solaris 10. Thank you in advance! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
0 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

SAN questions about Sun StorageTek array

Hi, I have a question about Sun StorageTek Common Array Manager (CAM): What is the concept of 'host'? Is it the hostname of the server that has access to the managed array? If so, can I use its IP instead of its hostname? I've found a 'host' under CAM called XYZ (See below). In our... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
7 Replies

7. Solaris

StorageTek 2540 SAN array

Bought a Sun StorageTek 2540 SAN array a few years ago from a company that was going out of business. When we first set it up, we were able to get all the software (Common Array Manager) and firmware directly from Sun. We just upgraded the drives, but the array is too large for the firmware. Now... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: edison303
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Issue with Fiber Channel cards in Solaris

hi everone i am experiencing disconnectivity from storage to My database machines. i have doubt on my FC cards in my sparc T4-2 machines. i want to know how should i check from my solaris that whether the cards are ok or not because once the disks get disconnect from SAN so it come back again but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: janakors
5 Replies
GROWFS(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 GROWFS(8)

NAME
growfs -- grow size of an existing ufs file system SYNOPSIS
growfs [-Ny] [-s size] special DESCRIPTION
The growfs utility extends the newfs(8) program. Before starting growfs the disk must be labeled to a bigger size using bsdlabel(8). If you wish to grow a file system beyond the boundary of the slice it resides in, you must re-size the slice using fdisk(8) before running growfs. If you are using volumes you must enlarge them by using vinum(8). The growfs utility extends the size of the file system on the specified special file. Currently growfs can only enlarge unmounted file systems. Do not try enlarging a mounted file system, your system may panic and you will not be able to use the file system any longer. Most of the newfs(8) options cannot be changed by growfs. In fact, you can only increase the size of the file system. Use tunefs(8) for other changes. The following options are available: -N ``Test mode''. Causes the new file system parameters to be printed out without actually enlarging the file system. -y ``Expert mode''. Usually growfs will ask you if you took a backup of your data before and will do some tests whether special is cur- rently mounted or whether there are any active snapshots on the file system specified. This will be suppressed. So use this option with great care! -s size Determines the size of the file system after enlarging in sectors. This value defaults to the size of the raw partition specified in special (in other words, growfs will enlarge the file system to the size of the entire partition). EXAMPLES
growfs -s 4194304 /dev/vinum/testvol will enlarge /dev/vinum/testvol up to 2GB if there is enough space in /dev/vinum/testvol. SEE ALSO
bsdlabel(8), dumpfs(8), fdisk(8), ffsinfo(8), fsck(8), newfs(8), tunefs(8), vinum(8) HISTORY
The growfs utility first appeared in FreeBSD 4.4. AUTHORS
Christoph Herrmann <chm@FreeBSD.org> Thomas-Henning von Kamptz <tomsoft@FreeBSD.org> The GROWFS team <growfs@Tomsoft.COM> BUGS
The growfs utility works starting with FreeBSD 3.x. There may be cases on FreeBSD 3.x only, when growfs does not recognize properly whether or not the file system is mounted and exits with an error message. Then please use growfs -y if you are sure that the file system is not mounted. It is also recommended to always use fsck(8) after enlarging (just to be on the safe side). For enlarging beyond certain limits, it is essential to have some free blocks available in the first cylinder group. If that space is not available in the first cylinder group, a critical data structure has to be relocated into one of the new available cylinder groups. On FreeBSD 3.x this will cause problems with fsck(8) afterwards. So fsck(8) needs to be patched if you want to use growfs for FreeBSD 3.x. This patch is already integrated in FreeBSD starting with FreeBSD 4.4. To avoid an unexpected relocation of that structure it is possible to use ffsinfo -g 0 -l 4 on the first cylinder group to verify that nbfree in the CYLINDER SUMMARY (internal cs) of the CYLINDER GROUP cgr0 has enough blocks. As a rule of thumb for default file system parameters one block is needed for every 2 GB of total file system size. Normally growfs writes this critical structure to disk and reads it again later for doing more updates. This read operation will provide unexpected data when using -N. Therefore, this part cannot really be simulated and will be skipped in test mode. BSD
September 8, 2000 BSD