Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Does sync(2) block writes until completed? Post 302239901 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 24th of September 2008 04:49:38 PM
Old 09-24-2008
Here is a discussion on pdflush and how a sync call can bog the system - read down about 5 paragraphs in the Tuning... section

The Linux Page Cache and pdflush

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh script that reads/writes based upon contents of a file

Hi everyone, Ive got a quick question about the feasibility and any suggestions for a shell script. I can use sh or ksh, doesnt matter. Basically, Ive got an output file from a db2 command that looks like so: SCHEMA NAME CARD LEAF ELEAF LVLS ISIZE NDEL KEYS F4 F5 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdudejr
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Sync to Green vs. Separate Sync

Hi all....I have a Sun Ultra2 that I want to use with my PC monitor. I have purchased an adapter that does not work and I was told I need to change my video card setting (if I can) to Separate Sync.....my Monitor product number ends in 1343......I am running SunOS 5.7 ......anyone have any ideas? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: psantinello
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

which process writes to file

Some process rewrites a file ( i'm hacked :) Can I somehow monitor which process does that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hachik
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: FH and multiple writes

I found this logging subroutine on the net that I want to use but despite trying many things, I cannot figure out how to get the date in front of the logged text. Ideally what I'm looking for is a line that looks something like this: Wed Aug 20 18:17:29 PDT 2008 - my logging info here. my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gctaylor
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Network writes contantly spiking in throughput

Hey guys First post... and im not exactly a solaris guru but here goes Ive setup a solaris 10 box with a raidz2 set of 6 disks... I have also setup Samba with open shares for some CIFs access... now my issue is that when i transfer large files to it the network performance contantly... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: silicoon
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from a file a background program writes to

Hi! #!/usr/bin/env bash rm tmpcomm nc -v -u -l 444 | hexdump -b > tmpcomm while : do read l1 < tmpcomm read l2 < tmpcomm read l3 < tmpcomm read l4 < tmpcomm # do something doneI start netcat in the background and listen for an incoming conncetion. All incoming... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: torax123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with script that reads and writes java console Minecraft

Hi I am looking for an easy way to lock game mode (0) for everyone included op on a Minecraft server. It can be a script that every time a player changes game to 1 the script changes back to 0. What the player writes is visible in the java console. I am not good at script programming and my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MyMorris
0 Replies

8. Solaris

OpenBSM not catching all file writes

I have a custom auditing class configured for these events but it doesn't seem to be catching it when I do a "echo hey > test.txt" Any ideas on why that is? ---------- Post updated at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:47 PM ---------- Scratch this topic, it looks like it's because... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
0 Replies
GLWAITSYNC(3G)							    OpenGL 3.3							    GLWAITSYNC(3G)

NAME
glWaitSync - instruct the GL server to block until the specified sync object becomes signaled C SPECIFICATION
void glWaitSync(GLsync sync, GLbitfield flags, GLuint64 timeout); PARAMETERS
sync Specifies the sync object whose status to wait on. flags A bitfield controlling the command flushing behavior. flags may be zero. timeout Specifies the timeout that the server should wait before continuing. timeout must be GL_TIMEOUT_IGNORED. DESCRIPTION
glWaitSync causes the GL server to block and wait until sync becomes signaled. sync is the name of an existing sync object upon which to wait. flags and timeout are currently not used and must be set to zero and the special value GL_TIMEOUT_IGNORED, respectively[1]. glWaitSync will always wait no longer than an implementation-dependent timeout. The duration of this timeout in nanoseconds may be queried by calling glGet() with the parameter GL_MAX_SERVER_WAIT_TIMEOUT. There is currently no way to determine whether glWaitSync unblocked because the timeout expired or because the sync object being waited on was signaled. If an error occurs, glWaitSync does not cause the GL server to block. NOTES
glWaitSync is available only if the GL version is 3.2 or higher. ERRORS
GL_INVALID_OPERATION is generated if sync is not the name of a sync object. GL_INVALID_VALUE is generated if flags is not zero. GL_INVALID_VALUE is generated if timeout is not GL_TIMEOUT_IGNORED. SEE ALSO
glFenceSync(), glClientWaitSync() COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 Khronos Group. This material may be distributed subject to the terms and conditions set forth in the Open Publication License, v 1.0, 8 June 1999. http://opencontent.org/openpub/. NOTES
1. flags and timeout are placeholders for anticipated future extensions of sync object capabilities. They must have these reserved values in order that existing code calling glWaitSync operate properly in the presence of such extensions. OpenGL 3.3 03/08/2011 GLWAITSYNC(3G)