Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Creating an array to hold posix thread ids: Only dynamic array works Post 302238622 by Roman Voznyuk on Sunday 21st of September 2008 08:13:45 AM
Old 09-21-2008
Where is this code called from?
I guess from some function.
In this case first example works fine becuase dynamically allocated threadids exists beyond this fucntion, but it second example it dies immediately.
Remember, pthread_create doesn't wait for actual start-up of new thread.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a dynamic array in ksh

Hi, Is it possible to create a dynamic array in shell script. I am trying to get the list of logfiles that created that day and put it in a dynamic array. I am not sure about it. help me New to scripting Gundu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gundu
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MAX SIZE ARRAY Can Hold it

Hi, Do anyone know what's the max size of array (in awk) can be store before hit any memory issue. Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: epall
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic Array Issue

Could one of you, please, provide some input regarding my problem below and it is as follows: I have 2 files that I need to make sure are identical before processing: First, I sort both files Second, I do a diff file1 file2 > File 3 This provides me with the difference. Now, I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ddedic
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to hold string array in shell scripts

Gents, Below is the Shell script which I am trying to hold a string of array that is passed from a java file. But it is not working . Can any one please help me to by fixing it. #!/bin/csh/ set copy = ($argv) echo $copy >> /home/users/bavananr/rrr.log echo $copy >>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brajesh
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a dynamic array

i want to create an array the array elements are populated depending upon the number of entries present in a data file The data file is created dynamically how to achieve the same thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
1 Replies

6. Programming

array dynamic allocation

Hi, I have the following problem: i must allocate a dynamic array from a subroutine which should return such array to main function. The subroutine has already a return parameter so i thought of pass the array as I/O parameter. I tried the following program but it doesn't work (segmentation... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamic index for array in while loop

Hi, I'm just trying to use a dynamic index for some array elements that I'm accessing within a loop. Specifically, I want to access an array at variable position $counter and then also at location $counter + 1 and $counter + 2 (the second and third array positions after it) but I keep getting... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: weak_code-fu
0 Replies

8. Programming

readdir and dynamic array memory corruption

Hi everyone I am developing an utility. At some part of it I read directory entries to a dynamic array: struct list It stores pointers to items: list.entries, which are structures: struct entry If a number of files in a directory is greater then number of elements an array was initially... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: torbium
11 Replies

9. Programming

Memory corruption in dynamic array of strings

I put together a C function to add strings to a dynamic array of strings (mostly for educational purpose to explain pointers to my kid). It works, but sometimes one or two strings in the array becomes corrupted. Running example on 64 bit Ubuntu, gcc ver. 4.8.4 Hope my code is self-explanatory: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a pseudo-array in dash, (POSIX).

Arrays in dash, (POSIX). Hi gurus... I am thinking of trying AudioScope.sh in pure POSIX so... I need an array in dash, I know it is not possible but pseudo-arrays are. I have two versions that work, the second is an idea from the WWW. The first is what I would like to use. There are... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
8 Replies
pthread_join(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  pthread_join(3C)

NAME
pthread_join - wait for thread termination SYNOPSIS
cc -mt [ flag... ] file... -lpthread [ library... ] #include <pthread.h> int pthread_join(pthread_t thread, void **status); DESCRIPTION
The pthread_join() function suspends processing of the calling thread until the target thread completes. thread must be a member of the current process and it cannot be a detached thread. See pthread_create(3C). If two or more threads wait for the same thread to complete, all will suspend processing until the thread has terminated, and then one thread will return successfully and the others will return with an error of ESRCH. The pthread_join() function will not block processing of the calling thread if the target thread has already terminated. If a pthread_join() call returns successfully with a non-null status argument, the value passed to pthread_exit(3C) by the terminating thread will be placed in the location referenced by status. If the pthread_join() calling thread is cancelled, then the target thread will remain joinable by pthread_join(). However, the calling thread may set up a cancellation cleanup handler on thread prior to the join call, which may detach the target thread by calling pthread_detach(3C). See pthread_detach(3C) and pthread_cancel(3C). RETURN VALUES
If successful, pthread_join() returns 0. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error. ERRORS
EDEADLK A joining deadlock would occur, such as when a thread attempts to wait for itself. EINVAL The thread corresponding to the given thread ID is a detached thread. ESRCH No thread could be found corresponding to the given thread ID. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pthread_cancel(3C), pthread_create(3C), pthread_detach(3C), pthread_exit(3C), wait(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) NOTES
The pthread_join(3C) function must specify the thread ID for whose termination it will wait. Calling pthread_join() also "detaches" the thread; that is, pthread_join() includes the effect of the pthread_detach() function. If a thread were to be cancelled when blocked in pthread_join(), an explicit detach would have to be performed in the cancellation cleanup han- dler. The pthread_detach() function exists primarily for this purpose. SunOS 5.11 23 Mar 2005 pthread_join(3C)