Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to search word and get the line above it. Post 302238154 by era on Friday 19th of September 2008 05:46:23 AM
Old 09-19-2008
Not all grep versions have the -B option. Try with awk or sed instead.

Code:
sed -n '/240/{x;p;x;p;b;};h' file

If that doesn't work for you either, search the forums for "context grep".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to get a line above the search word

Hi Everyone. I want to get all the lines above the word error. Note some records dont have error. ex Input Rec # 2384 Client: BGA Rx No: 0735845 Error: (W)Submit Date before Fill Date(SUBMIT-DATE) I want to have the line which starts with... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.gangadha
16 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

query on how to search for a line and read 4th word from that line

Assume I have a text file as below: me con pi ind ken pras ur me con rome ind kent pras urs pintu con mys ind pan pras ki con kit ind sys My requirement, I need to search for "con rome" and if exists, then print 4th word from rome, i.e in above example, since "con rome"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaggesh
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search word in a line and print earlier pattern match

Hi All, I have almost 1000+ files and I want to search specific pattern. Looking forwarded your input. Search for: word1.word2 (Which procedure contain this word, I need procedure name in output. Expected output: procedure test1 procedure test2 procedure test3 procedure test4 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: susau_79
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search the word to be deleted and delete lines above this word starting from P1 to P3

Hi, I have to search a word in a text file and then I have to delete lines above from the word searched . For eg suppose the file is like this: Records P1 10,23423432 ,77:1 ,234:2 P2 10,9089004 ,77:1 ,234:2 ,87:123 ,9898:2 P3 456456 P1 :123,456456546 P2 abc:324234 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsachan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in search for word and return line

Hi, I have this file format and can't seem to think of a solution. I need your help. I want to return lines which says "Record" if it's ID > 0 file.txt Record 1: :::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::: ID "000001" :::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for the word and exporting 35 characters after that word using shell script?

I have a file input.txt which have loads of weird characters, html tags and useful materials. I want to display 35 characters after the word description excluding weird characters like $$#$#@$#@***$# and without html tags in the new file output.txt. Help me. Thanx in advance. My final goal is to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachit adhikari
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a File line by line and split into array word by word

Hi All, Hope you guys had a wonderful weekend I have a scenario where in which I have to read a file line by line and check for few words before redirecting to a file I have searched the forum but,either those answers dint work (perhaps because of my wrong under standing of how IFS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingcobra
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find word in a line and output in which line the word occurs / no. of times it occurred

I have a file: file.txt, which contains the following data in it. This is a file, my name is Karl, what is this process, karl is karl junior, file is a test file, file's name is file.txt My name is not Karl, my name is Karl Joey What is your name? Do you know your name and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search for word in huge logfile and need to continue to print few lines from that line til find date

Guys i need an idea for one logic..in shell scripting am struggling with a logic...So the thing is... i need to search for a word in a huge log file and i need to continue to print few more lines from that line and the consecutive line has to end when it finds the line with date..because i know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prathi
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to search for a word in column header that fully matches the word not partially in awk?

I have a multicolumn text file with header in the first row like this The headers are stored in an array called . which contains I want to search for each elements of this array from that multicolumn text file. And I am using this awk approach for ii in ${hdr} do gawk -vcol="$ii" -F... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Atta
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep is used to invoke the grep on compress'ed or gzip'ed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is speci- fied, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If zgrep is invoked as zegrep or zfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep zgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; zgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), zdiff(1), zmore(1), znew(1), zforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) ZGREP(1)