Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: installing software
Operating Systems Linux SuSE installing software Post 302236491 by mark54g on Monday 15th of September 2008 04:11:23 PM
Old 09-15-2008
Also,

Unless you are married to SUSE 10, I would really recommend OpenSUSE 11.0. The speed improvements to zypp packages (the package manager) as well as the overall polish make it a real winner.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing software

when i d/l files from net "/usr/port/editor/koffice then make" i don't know what excactly have to do after when it finnished d/l it and configure i guess what its done downloading file it configures :confused: the file what do i have to do next I use FREEBSD 4.5 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: challenger
3 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

installing new software

Hello, I recently downloaded and installed fedora core 3, and I am triyng to install other software like movie players and so on, when ever I download software for this operating system, I recieve with the software a text file explaining how to install it. The installation instrucions are allways... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: st_matan
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Software

Hi all, So I remotly log on to one of the unix boxes we have at work. I want to use a software that is not installed on the server. What's better? to install it locally in my home folder and use it, or to ask the system admin to install it on the server? and what's the main difference? I asuume... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rachel Ross
1 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Installing software

Greetings, all. I'm a newcomer here, and I appreciate the forum to ask questions. Here is the situation: I am installing software on a network hard-drive (NAS), to add functionality to it. The OS is in a read-only flash partition. Someone else hacked the firmware to install Busybox on this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jhansen
1 Replies

5. Solaris

How to decide installing a Software group

Hello, I need to install a Jboss AS 4.2 asap. But I dont want to use the GUI. I need to install a solaris 10 server with the minimal packages but I dont know how deep I should customize and select the packages. You guys , how you decide to select a package installation level ? Each server's... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadowfaxxxx
7 Replies

6. Red Hat

Erro in Installing OPENOFFICE SOFTWARE

Dear All I want to install openoffice on my redhat 5.1 linux os. open office folder is already extracted on Desktop. #cd Desktop/OOO310_m11_native_packed-2_en-US.9399 #./setup After run the setup command, i am getting the Error mentioned below.Please any body can help me. ERROR:- ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sahu.tapan
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Problem installing the software HDLM

I'm trying to install the software HDLM (Hitachi Dynamic Link Manager) and is presenting the following message: -Bash-3.00 #./Installhdlm In KAPL09187-W parameter is specified. I do not know which parameter is that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: to.brunoaugusto
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Help installing WINE and other software

ive installed the open solaris 9 and i have downloaded wine but i dont have a clue how to install it ive unzipd the file but when i click it it just does nothing it opens but its just files im new to solaris i would realy like to know how to install and run programs like vlc player and things any... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: drdex
19 Replies

9. HP-UX

Installing software other than default directory

Hi, I'm using the command(swinstall -s product.pkg product1.cbin) to install software(product1). Here by default the installation is happening on the location(/opt/). Whereas I want the installation directory to be a different one (eg. /sw/). Is there any specific command which will help me to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Thunderbird288
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Installing software -going insane

I have Solaris 10 update 11 installed on a virtual machine which I use for my lunix class (I'm studying I.T. but have little unix experience). So I have root access* I'm also do C programming in my course and would love to do it on my Solaris machine. So I looked into installing GCC and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: goformickey
5 Replies
build(1)						      General Commands Manual							  build(1)

NAME
build - build SuSE Linux RPMs in a chroot environment SYNOPSIS
build [--clean|--no-init] [--rpms path1:path2:...] [--arch arch1:arch2:...] [--root buildroot] [specfile|srcrpm] build --help build --verify DESCRIPTION
build is a tool to build SuSE Linux RPMs in a safe and clean way. build will install a minimal SuSE Linux as build system into some direc- tory and will chroot to this system to compile the package. This way you don't risk to corrupt your working system (due to a broken spec file for example), even if the package does not use BuildRoot. build searches the spec file for a BuildRequires: line; if such a line is found, all the specified rpms are installed. Otherwise a selec- tion of default packages are used. Note that build doesn't automatically resolve missing dependencies, so the specified rpms have to be sufficient for the build. If a spec file is specified on the command line, build will use this file and all other files in the directory for building the package. If a srcrpm is specified, build automatically unpacks it for the build. If neither is given, build will use all the specfiles in the current directory. OPTIONS
--clean remove the build system and reinitialize it from scratch. --no-init skip the build system initialization and start with build immediately. --list-state list rpms that would be used to create a fresh build root. Does not create the build root or perform a build. --rpms path1:path2:path3... Where build can find the SuSE Linux RPMs needed to create the build system. This option overrides the BUILD_RPMS environment vari- able. --arch arch1:arch2:arch3... What architectures to select from the RPMs. build automatically sets this to a sensible value for your host if you don't specify this option. --root buildroot Specifies where the build system is set up. Overrides the BUILD_ROOT enviroment variable. --useusedforbuild Tell build not to do dependency expansion, but to extract the list of packages to install from "# usedforbuild" lines or, if none are found, from all "BuildRequires" lines. This option is useful if you want to re-build a package from a srcrpm with exactly the same packages used for the srcrpm build. --norootforbuild --help Print a short help text. --verify verify the files in an existing build system. .spec FILE OPTIONS The build command interprets some special control comments in the specfile: # norootforbuild # needsrootforbuild build uses either user root or user abuild in the build system to do the build. For non-SUSE distros as well as since SUSE 10.2, the default build user is abuild. For 10.2 and before, the default build user is root. These two flags in the spec file allow to deviate from the defaults and force-set the build user to abuild and root (for # norootforbuild and # needsrootforbuild respec- tively. # needsbinariesforbuild provide the binary rpms that have been used to set up the build root in /.build.binaries within the build root. ENVIRONMENT
BUILD_ROOT The directory where build should install the chrooted build system. "/var/tmp/build-root" is used by default. BUILD_RPMS Where build can find the SuSE Linux RPMs. build needs them to create the build system. "/media/dvd/suse" is the default value which will do the trick if you have the SuSE Linux DVD mounted. BUILD_RPM_BUILD_STAGE The rpm build stage (-ba, -bb, ...). This is just passed through to rpm, check the rpm manpage for a complete list and descrip- tions. "-ba" is the default. You can use this to add more options to RPM. SEE ALSO
rpm(1), Maximum RPM: http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/ cross distribution packaging: http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/cross_distribution_package_how_to SUSE packaging standards and guidelines: http://en.opensuse.org/Packaging (c) 1997-2008 SuSE Linux AG Nuernberg, Germany build(1)