Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Stopping tail -f when certain string found? Post 302235422 by jake657 on Friday 12th of September 2008 01:20:29 AM
Old 09-12-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annihilannic
Try:

Code:
  tail -f $VAULogFile | awk '/Phase/;/Phase 2 ended/ { exit }'

No need for a kill, the tail should terminate automatically when the pipe is closed.
That worked like a charm. Thank you very much, sir.

Thanks also, Chr15. I didn't really want to resort to a kill if possible but I appreciate your help. Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for file and stopping at first item found

Hello, I try to write a shell script that would list all files on a directory and stop when it finds the first item specified on a find or ls command. How can I tell to the find or ls command to stop when it finds the first ".doc" file for example ? Thank you (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: davchris
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script tail when string found do something

Okay, I have two scripts, the first one does some stuff, and comes to a point where it has this: Right here it runs a quick script to start something that writes to a log file. /usr/bin/tail -f ${pathVar}/nohup_${servVar}.out | while read -r line do ] && continue cd ${pathVar}... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Can't install Unicode::String due to String.so not found

CPAN.pm: Going to build G/GA/GAAS/Unicode-String-2.09.tar.gz Checking if your kit is complete... Looks good Writing Makefile for Unicode::String cp String.pm blib/lib/Unicode/String.pm cp lib/Unicode/CharName.pm blib/lib/Unicode/CharName.pm /usr/bin/perl /usr/perl5/5.8.4/lib/ExtUtils/xsubpp... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: PatrickBaer
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Tail for a specific string

Hi guys i am tailing a constantly appending log file. However, I am looking for some specific word to be seen only when there is an update. How should I look for the word "{test-0101}" in tail, so that it only shows when there is a line that contains {test-0101} ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DallasT
1 Replies

5. Linux

Find String in FileName and move the String to new File if not found

Hi all, I have a question.. Here is my requirement..I have 500 files in a path say /a/b/c I have some numbers in a file which are comma seperated...and I wanted to check if the numbers are present in the FileName in the path /a/b/c..if the number is there in the file that is fine..but if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: us_pokiri
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep on string and printing line after until another string has been found

Hello Everyone, I just started scripting this week. I have no background in programming or scripting. I'm working on a script to grep for a variable in a log file Heres what the log file looks like. The x's are all random clutter xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx START: xxxxxxxxxxxx... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rxc23816
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string and write a value to next line of found string

Hi, I have two variables x and y. i need to find a particular string in a file, a workflow name and then insert the values of x and y into the next lines of the workflow name. basically it is like as below wf_xxxxxx $$a= $$b= $$c= figo $$d=bentley i need to grep the 'wf_xxxx' and then... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: angel12345
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append a string on the next line after a pattern string is found

Right now, my code is: s/Secondary Ins./Secondary Ins.\ 1/g It's adding a 1 as soon as it finds Secondary Ins. Primary Ins.: MEDICARE B DMERC Secondary Ins. 1: CONTINENTAL LIFE INS What I really want to achieve is having a 1 added on the next line that contain "Secondary Ins." It... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbeee
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

stopping tail function after ctrl + c

say i have a statement like this in a script tail -f /opt/blah/blha/user.log > final.log if ;then cat final.log | grep -i "servicer_user" > service.log cat final.log | grep -i "logic_user" > logic.log fi echo "script completed" but when the script is running if i press ctrl + c the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get 20 lines above string found, and 35 below string

i want to search a log for a string. when that string is found, i want to grab the a set number of lines that came before the string, and a set number of lines that come after the string. so if i search for the word "Error" in the /var/log/messages file, how can I output the 20 lines that came... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies
kill.d(1m)							   USER COMMANDS							kill.d(1m)

NAME
kill.d - snoop process signals as they occur. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
kill.d DESCRIPTION
kill.d is a simple DTrace program to print details of process signals as they are sent, such as the PID source and destination, signal num- ber and result. This program can be used to determine which process is sending signals to which other process. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. EXAMPLES
Default output, print process signals as they are sent. # kill.d FIELDS
FROM source PID COMMAND source command name TO destination PID SIG destination signal ("9" for a kill -9) RESULT result of signal (-1 is for failure) DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
kill.d will run forever until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
dtrace(1M), truss(1) version 0.90 May 14, 2005 kill.d(1m)