Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need assistance with appending strings using sed and variables Post 302235234 by mandriver on Thursday 11th of September 2008 11:43:33 AM
Old 09-11-2008
Need assistance with appending strings using sed and variables

HI,

Can't seem to find anything on the forums to fix this.

I have a file, one line within this will not have a specific string at the end.

I have the string, but need to append it to the specific line which has it missing.

I need to use a variable for this, $string - I am using double quotes as below:

sed "/!*missing_string/a\ $string" file

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

appending strings in the files

I have some files created by a process in UNIX. I wanted to do some file processing: 1. I want to append a string "EOF" as the first word on the last line of all the files except the last file. 2.Similarly, I want to append "BOF" string as the first word to all the files except the first... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaylak
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending strings to variable

is it possible? as i keep reading a file, i want one particular variable to keep storing the line that i've read so far (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: finalight
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending strings

Hi , while trying to append two strings, it is not properly coming. my code will be like this str1=_TrackingEAR srt2=1.0.0-20080523.155438-12 i am trying to build str3=$str1$str2.tgz but it is appending the last value ot the begingin of the string , but i expect to the end of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scorpio
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending variables

Hi, I'm having a problem with something I can't really figure out by myself. I've tried to do it with a for loop, but I'm pretty sure it won't work, if I'm not mistaken. Basically, what I'm trying to do is test some variables and if any of them is not empty, add the values of these variables... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mutex1
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending two strings

Hi, I have a small doubt. Here is the code snippet for which the output that I'm getting are a bit surprising. testing.sh #!/bin/sh arg_1=$1 echo "arg passed by user is:${arg_1}" mapping=`grep ${arg_1}= testing.conf | awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` echo "mapping is $mapping"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrimohanty
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace two character strings by two variables with sed command

Hello, I want to writte a script that replace two character strings by two variables with the command sed butmy solution doesn't work. I'm written this: sed "s/TTFactivevent/$TTFav/g && s/switchSLL/$SLL/g" templatefile. I want to replace TTFactivevent by the variable $TTFav, that is a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: POPO10
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need assistance with sed

Hi All, I need your assistance, I would like to replace all lines beginning with the word "begin" with the below text: Device | IPMB0-A | IPMB0-B Board Address |Sent SentErr %Errr |Sent SentErr ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dendany83
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need assistance with sed

Hi All, I need your assistance, I would like to replace all lines beginning with the word "begin" with the below text: Device | IPMB0-A | IPMB0-B Board Address |Sent SentErr %Errr |Sent SentErr ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dendany83
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed assistance

Hello everyone. I am trying to replace sprintf(buffer, "{\"id\":1,\"method\":\"mining.update_block\",\"params\":}\n", coinid, blockhash); with sprintf(buffer, "{\"id\":1,\"method\":\"mining.update_block\",\"params\":}\n", coinid, blockhash); this is the code I was trying but is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: crombiecrunch
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Assistance to connect to servers via ssh once and collect various commands into separate variables

Hello, We use as bash script to connect to servers listed in an .csv file to issue commands against these servers and retrieve data to be saved in a .csv file. The data we want to collect is saved in variables. We issue an ssh command for each variable we want to capture. I'm thinking this is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: greavette
9 Replies
CHECKBASHISMS(1)					      General Commands Manual						  CHECKBASHISMS(1)

NAME
checkbashisms - check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts SYNOPSIS
checkbashisms script ... checkbashisms --help|--version DESCRIPTION
checkbashisms, based on one of the checks from the lintian system, performs basic checks on /bin/sh shell scripts for the possible presence of bashisms. It takes the names of the shell scripts on the command line, and outputs warnings if possible bashisms are detected. Note that the definition of a bashism in this context roughly equates to "a shell feature that is not required to be supported by POSIX"; this means that some issues flagged may be permitted under optional sections of POSIX, such as XSI or User Portability. In cases where POSIX and Debian Policy disagree, checkbashisms by default allows extensions permitted by Policy but may also provide options for stricter checking. OPTIONS
--help, -h Show a summary of options. --newline, -n Check for "echo -n" usage (non POSIX but required by Debian Policy 10.4.) --posix, -p Check for issues which are non POSIX but required to be supported by Debian Policy 10.4 (implies -n). --force, -f Force each script to be checked, even if it would normally not be (for instance, it has a bash or non POSIX shell shebang or appears to be a shell wrapper). --extra, -x Highlight lines which, whilst they do not contain bashisms, may be useful in determining whether a particular issue is a false posi- tive which may be ignored. For example, the use of "$BASH_ENV" may be preceded by checking whether "$BASH" is set. --version, -v Show version and copyright information. EXIT VALUES
The exit value will be 0 if no possible bashisms or other problems were detected. Otherwise it will be the sum of the following error val- ues: 1 A possible bashism was detected. 2 A file was skipped for some reason, for example, because it was unreadable or not found. The warning message will give details. SEE ALSO
lintian(1). AUTHOR
checkbashisms was originally written as a shell script by Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> and rewritten in Perl with many more features by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities CHECKBASHISMS(1)