Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need help in finding Folder Size Post 302234992 by TonySolarisAdmi on Wednesday 10th of September 2008 11:58:04 PM
Old 09-11-2008
Need help in finding Folder Size

Hi,
I would like to find the size of a folder. When I run the command
du -k
It is going through all the sub-folder and files and taking really much time.

Is there any command to get the complete directory size without showing the sub-folder and file size.

Appreciate your response.

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding duplicate files by size and finding pattern matching and its count

Hi, I have a challenging task,in which i have to find the duplicate files by its name and size,then i need to take anyone of the file.Then i need to open the file and find for more than one pattern and count of that pattern. Note:These are the samples of two files,but i can have more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome Sukumar
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limit Folder Size

Is there a way to limit a certain folder size(e.g. Documents, Desktop)? :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tisdmin
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for Finding files in a folder and copying to another folder

Hi all, I have a folder '/samplefolder' in which i have some files like data0.txt, data1.txt and data2.txt. I have to search the folder for existence of the file data0.txt first and if found have to copy it to some other file; next i have to search the folder for existence of file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish2712
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

size of a folder ?

hi, is possible to calculate the size of a folder using ls ? ls -s works only for files.. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am trying to get the total size of a folder?

I am trying to get the total size of the folder using the below command but its not working. any ideas? du -bc <foldername>/|grep total|tr -s " "|cut -d" " -f1 the output i am getting is 78996 total but i just want it to be as 78996 please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: classic
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Need to know the users folder size

Hi Forum, I need to know the size of some user home folders. I've exported an account list from an Active Directory and wrote it into a file like: user_1 user_2 user... user_n and tried "du -sh < filename", which doesn't work. Get no results. I don't need the size of all home... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: borsti007
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding max size

Hi I have a list of 2000 records with multiple entries and I want to get the max size for each entry ABC 1 ABC 2 ABC 3 ABC 4 DEF 1 DEF 2 DEF 2 DEF 2 DEF 2 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting folder more than 100K size

Hi , I am trying to get the folder details having size more than sme specified value and also the name of the folder should be like TEST. so 1. In the current directory search for all the folders having name like TEST 2. Print the list of the folder names having size more than 100... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the maximum timestamp in a folder

I've the files in a directory in the following format having date +%Y%m%d%H YR_MNTH_2013061205 YR_MNTH_2013060107 and i need the latest file i.e; YR_MNTH_2013061205 to be moved to another folder #!/bin/ksh # Ksh 88 Version for test_time in YR* do --- done How can i achieve that !... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
2 Replies

10. Debian

Finding out size of sub-directory

Hi, Is there a way to find out the size of a sub-directory? Eg subidrectory in main directory /data, like this : /data/solr-5.3.1. When I do a df -h /data/solr-5.3.1, it still gives the size of /data: root@L28condor:/data/solr-5.3.1# df -h . Filesystem Size Used... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
1 Replies
RMF(1)                                                               [nmh-1.5]                                                              RMF(1)

NAME
rmf - remove an nmh folder SYNOPSIS
rmf [+folder] [-interactive | -nointeractive] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Rmf removes all of the messages (files) within the specified (or default) folder, and then removes the folder (directory) itself. If there are any files within the folder which are not a part of nmh, they will not be removed, and an error will be produced. If the folder is given explicitly or the -nointeractive option is given, then the folder will be removed without confirmation. Otherwise, the user will be asked for confirmation. If rmf can't find the current folder, for some reason, the folder to be removed defaults to `+inbox' (unless overridden by user's profile entry "Inbox") with confirmation. If the folder being removed is a subfolder, the parent folder will become the new current folder, and rmf will produce a message telling the user this has happened. This provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list and returning to the current folder from which the list was extracted. If rmf s used on a read-only folder, it will delete all the (private) sequences (i.e., "atr-seq-folder" entries) for this folder from your context without affecting the folder itself. Rmf irreversibly deletes messages that don't have other links, so use it with caution. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Inbox: To find the default inbox SEE ALSO
rmm(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder, usually with confirmation `-interactive' if +folder' not given, `-nointeractive' otherwise CONTEXT
Rmf will set the current folder to the parent folder if a subfolder is removed; or if the current folder is removed, it will make "inbox" current. Otherwise, it doesn't change the current folder or message. BUGS
Although intuitively one would suspect that rmf works recursively, it does not. Hence if you have a sub-folder within a folder, in order to rmf the parent, you must first rmf each of the children. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMF(1)