Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: boot from a pendrive
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers boot from a pendrive Post 302232666 by Ajith kumar.G on Friday 5th of September 2008 02:03:02 AM
Old 09-05-2008
CPU & Memory How to make a pen drive as bootable

Thanks to all for this information.

But I want to know one more thing "How to make a pen drive as bootable?"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cannot boot - Boot : Panic : File size out of range (EWS-UX/V unix)

Hey ! I am running EWS-UX/V (Rel 4.2) on NEC EWS/4800/330 station and I am having problems rebooting my station : I am getting the following message on display : BOOT : PANIC : File size out of range. According to user guide, this error is occuring when a file exceeding the limit and/or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredo
2 Replies

2. Solaris

solaris boot problem boot error loading interpreter(misc/krtld)

When I installed the SOLARIS 10 OS first time, the desktop would not start up, this was because of network setup. Reinstalled worked. After a week due to some problem I had to reinstall OS, installation went fine and but when i reboot I get this error. cannot find mis/krtld boot error loading... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johncy_j
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

helo how to mount pendrive on redhat 9

helo my sysem is running on redhat 9. now i want to take data from redhat 9 pc to pen drive. but when i plug it it is not detected. can u tell me how to mount pendrive on redhat9. amit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files unto a usb pendrive/external disk from Solaris 9

Hi all, Can anybody help me with how I can connect a usb pendrive or external disk to a Sun Server which runs on Solaris 9? I am able to connect the usb drive to a windows server easily and copy files but am wondering if it is possible to do that with Solaris. Any help will be appreciated. thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
3 Replies

5. SCO

mount the pendrive on the unixware 7.1.4

please let me know how to mount the pendrive on the unixware (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepthi.s
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to acces my pendrive in linux

Hi Gurus, in linux I am unable to access my pendrive(i am even not seeing the icon or location for my pendrive ). Please anyany could help me to get rid of this issue. regards, Sanjay :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay.login
4 Replies

7. Slackware

Which USB pendrive image to install Slackware on an old AMD K6 3D ?

Holla, I have been trying to install a recent distro, with a minimum X such as jwm, but unfortunately my cdrom is broken and I can only boot the USB port, with a pendrive. AMD K6 3D is today too old for being for linux. Is there an image of slackware than runs that processor and that can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raptor34
5 Replies

8. Boot Loaders

Reboot and Select Proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key

Hello, I have kubuntu on my laptop and now I decided to switch to Windows 7. I made the bios settings properly (first choice is boot from cd\vd) but I see the error " reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key " I have tried CD and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris x86 installation using jumpstart does not local boot ( boot from hdd)

I am trying to install Solaris x86 using the Jumpstart server. I run the add_install_client command with appropriate options, and reboot my x86 Target box. The installation starts fine and unattended. After the installation completes and the target goes for a re-boot, it does not boot from the HDD... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemalsid
9 Replies

10. Linux

LM 19.1 from pendrive

I've "installed" LM 19.1 to a PNY 16Gb(2.0) pendrive. I have a few issues that I'd like to resolve. First and foremost, the O.S. experiences "lagging" issues and to a lesser degree, freezing. Example: Complete "boot-up" (from start to complete "home" page) can take upwards of 7 mins. Then when... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: 69Rixter
10 Replies
MKRESCUE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       MKRESCUE(8)

NAME
mkrescue - make rescue floppy or CD SYNOPSIS
/sbin/mkrescue makes a bootable rescue floppy or CD using the default kernel specified in lilo.conf. DESCRIPTION
mkrescue takes its specifation for the kernel from the default image specified in /etc/lilo.conf. If the actual default is an other= spec- ification, then use the first image= specification. Any associated initial ramdisk (initrd=), and append= options will also be used. The root directory will be taken to be the current root. A bootable floppy or CD-image will be created using LILO version 22.5.5 or later. mkrescue normally requires no options, unless a CD-image is desired (--iso). OPTIONS
--append <string> Override any append= options taken from the default image. If there is any doubt about whether the lilo.conf options are correct, then specify no kernel parameters by providing the null string (--append ""). --debug Provide verbose output of the operation of mkrescue, pausing to allow the setting of internal operating parameters to be viewed. <CR> must be hit to proceed from these pauses. --device <device> Make the floppy on a device other than /dev/fd0. The floppy disk will always be made to boot on BIOS device code 0x00 (A: drive), without regard to the drive on which it is created. --fast Use a faster method of creating the boot floppy. This involves first creating a file of --size 1k blocks (default is 1440) mounted using a loopback device, creating the bootable floppy, then copying the entire file to the disk. --fs [ ext2 | msdos | minix ] Specify the type of filesystem to create on the drive. ext2 is the default, but msdos and minix allow slightly more disk sectors for really big kernels. --help Print a short usage synopsis, including a list of command options. --image <label> Specifies the label or alias of the particular image from which the append, initial ramdisk, root, keytable, and kernel information is to be taken. --initrd <filepath> and --kernel <filepath> These options, which must be used together, allow specification of an arbitrary kernel file and initial ramdisk file to be used on the created boot floppy. Be sure you know what you are doing before you use these options. If no inital ramdisk is needed with a particular kernel, then you MUST specify --initrd "", meaning a null pathname. --install [ text | menu ] Allows overriding the default human interface used with the rescue bootloader (configuration file "install=" option). text is the default on 1.2MB and 1.44MB floppy disks, and menu is the default on 2.88MB floppies and HD emulation on CD-R media. --iso Create an ISO-9660 bootable CD image (El Torito Format) suitable for burning to a CD-R or CD-RW. The --device specification defaults to the filename rescue.iso, and the --size defaults to 2880. A utility such as "wodim" may be used to burn the ISO file to a recordable CD medium. With this ISO option, the --size HD option is allowed. --nocompact For faster kernel loading from a floppy, LILO map compaction is normally enabled. This option will disable map compaction by omit- ting the lilo -c switch. --noformat Suppresses creation of a new filesystem on the boot floppy. This option may be used ONLY when you know that the floppy you will be writing upon is formatted with the same filesystem as specified by --fs XXX (default is ext2). --root <device> Specify the root filesystem for the kernel on the boot floppy. The currently mounted root is taken as the default specification. --size [ 1440 | 1200 | 2880 | HD ] The default floppy disk size is 1440, meaning a 1.44MB floppy. When --iso is specified, the default size is 2880. Allowed specifi- cations are 1200, 1440, or 2880, meaning a 1.2MB, 1.44MB or 2.88MB floppy, respectively. No other floppy disk sizes are supported. The HD specification, meaning "hard disk", may only be used with the --iso option, to indicate a 16MB hard disk is to be generated for emulation. This allows for very large kernel/initial ramdisk combinations on CD-R. The hard disk image is created using loop- back devices /dev/loop0 and /dev/loop1, which must be free to utilize this size option. --version Print the version number of mkrescue, then terminate. SEE ALSO
cdrecord(1), dd(1), wodim(1), lilo.conf(5), lilo(8), mkfs(8), mkinitrd(8), mkisofs(8), mount(8) 6 Mar 2011 MKRESCUE(8)