Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Distro reccomendation
Operating Systems Linux Gentoo Distro reccomendation Post 302232181 by Swathe on Thursday 4th of September 2008 03:07:07 AM
Old 09-04-2008
Thanks for all the advice guys.I will set up a few virtual machines and give freebsd and slackware a try.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which distro best for me?

Im goin to build a server soon, im planning to use it for a dedicated server for my favorite game counterstrike. I also want to use it as a file server for my lan, should i also make this server my internet gateway and dhcp server or should i just continue using my linksys router for those tasks? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stealthdestroyr
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux distro

Hi I'm have old toshiba laptop(t1900) 486, 4mbRAM and ~120MB of hdd I'm looking for distro to suite my comp, no need for X windows but not enything that runs on FAT, just normal small Linux. Actually, *BSDs will do as well. If u know any distro that would do this I will be thankful for hint ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolk
4 Replies

3. Debian

which distro?

Hi all, I know, it's a highly subjective and speculative question, but can anyone advise a Linux-newbie (haven't even started yet) on what distribution might be right in my case? - I have for all intents and purposes NO Linux experience. - I do have some previous IT experience. -- A... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looking for right distro...

Hello all! I am searching for a *nix distro for a project I am about to undertake. I have a laptop (p3 500mhz, 128MB ram, 10GB hard drive) that I would like to use as a server for VPN & possibly hosting a small personal web site. Now, here is where it gets a bit tricky. There is no optical... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DISK
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New to linux. Which distro should i use?

want to know which Linux distro is 4 me. want 2 teach my self programing and problem solving. i want to learn code and write code. i have an acer aspire one 2GB memory 160 GB HDD intel Atom. look im as noobie as it gets im a MS xp, vista boy want to go beyond graphical click and do... any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BizilStank
1 Replies

6. Linux

Choosing the best distro.

Hi all Help me find the best distro for the following configurations: Intel pentium IV 1.6 Ghz 128 MB RAM :( 40 GB Hardisk with one very big partition more than 35 gb n another 2 gb partition. windows xp is already installed but has enough free space (26gb). Which linux will be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbala
0 Replies

7. Linux

how to build my own distro

howdy.... I am currently in a project, which needs a new distribution of linux.. At first, we select suse as our platform, but this newest version suse is at least several gigabytes. but recently, we want to run out system in a flash card with capacity of 500M, So, self-customized linux is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: macroideal
6 Replies

8. Fedora

What distro for server

I want to setup a Linux Server on Win7 / Virtual Box for developmet/testing (LAMP, JavaScript). I am gonna need the following programs installed: MySQL Imagemagic Mencoder Ffmpeg Flvtool Qt-faststart Ioncube loader PHP I know that choice comes down to: Centos Fedora Debian ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtt89
2 Replies

9. Linux

Best Linux Distro

Hello, I have a Compaq Presario v3000 5 year old laptop, with 1 GB RAM and currently running the (slow and stupid) Windows 7 32 bit, thus I would like to dual boot it with an appropriate distro of Linux that 1) Doesnt consume too much resources (1 GB RAM is not a lot of space) and it ll be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
4 Replies

10. Linux

Help choosing distro

Hi, I just ordered an Skylake NUC and will run Linux on it. My distro of choice has been Ubuntu but I am fed up with the release cycle and would like more of a rolling release. I would say I am an intermediate level Linux user. It's going to be a HTPC, I want to have the latest kernels... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rthorntn
0 Replies
posix_madvise(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					 posix_madvise(3C)

NAME
posix_madvise - memory advisory information SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/mman.h> int posix_madvise(void *addr, size_t len, int advice); DESCRIPTION
The posix_madvise() function advises the system on the expected behavior of the application with respect to the data in the memory starting at address addr, and continuing for len bytes. The system may use this information to optimize handling of the specified data. The posix_madvise() function has no effect on the semantics of access to memory in the specified range, although it may affect the performance of access. The advice to be applied to the memory range is specified by the advice parameter and may be one of the following values: POSIX_MADV_NORMAL Specifies that the application has no advice to give on its behavior with respect to the specified range. It is the default characteristic if no advice is given for a range of memory. POSIX_MADV_SEQUENTIAL Specifies that the application expects to access the specified range sequentially from lower addresses to higher addresses. POSIX_MADV_RANDOM Specifies that the application expects to access the specified range in a random order. POSIX_MADV_WILLNEED Specifies that the application expects to access the specified range in the near future. POSIX_MADV_DONTNEED Specifies that the application expects that it will not access the specified range in the near future. These values are defined in <sys/mman.h> RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, posix_madvise() returns zero. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error. ERRORS
The posix_madvise() function will fail if: EINVAL The value of advice is invalid. ENOMEM Addresses in the range starting at addr and continuing for len bytes are partly or completely outside the range allowed for the address space of the calling process. The posix_madvise() function may fail if: EINVAL The value of len is zero. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mmap(2), madvise(3C), posix_madvise(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 14 Jul 2008 posix_madvise(3C)