Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Dynamic memory allocation
Top Forums Programming Dynamic memory allocation Post 302230566 by vidyadhar85 on Saturday 30th of August 2008 02:17:04 AM
Old 08-30-2008
size of a line means its length right??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

memory allocation

I would like to know how I could allocate some more memory to a process. Please note that I am not the root user. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sagar
1 Replies

2. Programming

array dynamic allocation

Hi, I have the following problem: i must allocate a dynamic array from a subroutine which should return such array to main function. The subroutine has already a return parameter so i thought of pass the array as I/O parameter. I tried the following program but it doesn't work (segmentation... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
11 Replies

3. Programming

Memory allocation problem

I have a program that will fetch some particular lines and store it in a buffer for further operations.The code which is given below works but with some errors.I couldn't trace out the error.Can anybody help on this plz?? #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include<string.h> #define... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vigneshinbox
1 Replies

4. Programming

global variables and dynamic allocation

Hi, is it possible in C to allocate dynamically a global variable?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
3 Replies

5. Programming

Is there a problem with the memory allocation???

I have a scenario like the client has to search for the active server.There will be many servers.But not all server are active.And at a time not more than one server will be active. The client will be in active state always i.e, it should always search for an active server until it gets one.I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vigneshinbox
1 Replies

6. Programming

dynamic allocation vs static allocation in c

i wrote a tiny version of tail command using a large buffer statically allocated but, in a second time, i found another version in which i use a bidimensional array dynamically allocated. here is the first version /*my tiny tail, it prints the last 5 line of a file */ #include<stdio.h>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasclaus
4 Replies

7. Programming

Memory allocation in C

Hi Experts I need some help in static memory allocation in C. I have a program in which I declared 2 variables, one char array and one integer. I was little surprised to see the addresses of the variables. First: int x; char a; printf("%u %u\n', &x, a); I got the addresses displayed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unx_freak
2 Replies

8. Programming

Dynamic Memory Allocation

Hello Guys I have a small confusion in the dynamic memory allocation concept. If we declare a pointer say a char pointer, we need to allocate adequate memory space. char* str = (char*)malloc(20*sizeof(char)); str = "This is a string"; But this will also work. char* str = "This... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tene
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

memory allocation to a variable

hello all.. i'm a beginner in shell scripting. I need to know what is really happening when we are creating a variable in shell scripting? how memory is allocated for that variable? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarathy
3 Replies

10. Programming

C++/ROOT Memory Allocation?

Hello, I am new to C++ programming, so I'm still getting a feel for things. I recently wrote a simple C++ program (to be used as a ROOT Macro) to conduct a statistical analysis of a varied version of the Monty Hall problem (code below). Basically, the programs runs a few simple calculations to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tyler_92
7 Replies
Tie::SubstrHash(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				      Tie::SubstrHash(3pm)

NAME
Tie::SubstrHash - Fixed-table-size, fixed-key-length hashing SYNOPSIS
require Tie::SubstrHash; tie %myhash, 'Tie::SubstrHash', $key_len, $value_len, $table_size; DESCRIPTION
The Tie::SubstrHash package provides a hash-table-like interface to an array of determinate size, with constant key size and record size. Upon tying a new hash to this package, the developer must specify the size of the keys that will be used, the size of the value fields that the keys will index, and the size of the overall table (in terms of key-value pairs, not size in hard memory). These values will not change for the duration of the tied hash. The newly-allocated hash table may now have data stored and retrieved. Efforts to store more than $table_size elements will result in a fatal error, as will efforts to store a value not exactly $value_len characters in length, or reference through a key not exactly $key_len characters in length. While these constraints may seem excessive, the result is a hash table using much less internal memory than an equivalent freely-allocated hash table. CAVEATS
Because the current implementation uses the table and key sizes for the hashing algorithm, there is no means by which to dynamically change the value of any of the initialization parameters. The hash does not support exists(). perl v5.16.2 2012-08-26 Tie::SubstrHash(3pm)