Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to redirect stderr and stdout to a file Post 302229868 by vbe on Thursday 28th of August 2008 05:27:55 AM
Old 08-28-2008
2>&1 ...
This replies to your thread title...

Last edited by vbe; 08-28-2008 at 06:33 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect stdout and stderr

How can I redirect and append stdout and stderr to a file when using cron? Here is my crontab file: */5 * * * * /dir/php /dir/process_fns.php >>& /dir/dump.txt Cron gives me an 'unexpected character found in line' when trying to add my crontab file. Regards, Zach Curtis POPULUS (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zcurtis
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirect stderr and/or stdout to /dev/null from command line

Is it possible to redirect errors at the command line when you run the script such as bash scriptname & 2>/dev/null? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: knc9233
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending stdout and stderr to a file

working on a c sell script I think I understand the concept of it, which is: filename >> file.txt (to appaend) or filename | tee -a file.txt (to append) The problem is that my shell script is used with several parameters, and these commands don't seem to work with just filename. They... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mistermojo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect stdout/stderr to a file globally

Hi I am not if this is possible: is it possible in bach (or another shell) to redirect GLOBALLY the stdout/stderr channels to a file. So, if I have a script script.sh cmd1 cmd2 cmd3 I want all stdout/stderr goes to a file. I know I can do: ./script.sh 1>file 2>&1 OR ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: islegmar
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

Redirect STDOUT and STDERR of chsh

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out! Forgot to put backslashes in my perl script to not process literals! Hi everyone. I am trying to have this command pass silently. (no output) chsh -s /bin/sh news Currently it outputs. I've tried.... &> /dev/null 1> /dev/null 2>&1 /dev/null 1>&2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: austinharris43
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect stdout and stderr to file wrong order problem with subshell

Hello I read a lot of post related to this topic, but nothing helped me. :mad: I'm running a ksh script with subshell what processing some ldap command. I need to check output for possible errors. #!/bin/ksh ... readinput < $QCHAT_INPUT |& while read -p line do echo $line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Osim
3 Replies

7. Programming

stderr stdout to a log file

I originally wrote my script using the korn shell and had to port it to bash on a another server. My script is working find for backing up but noticed that now after the move, I am not getting any output to my log files. Using Korn shell, this worked for me for some odd reason. This was sending... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect stdout/stderr, except e.g. "STRING"

Hi, I'm running a program (Python) whose output I would like to redirect to a log. But the program calls a library (that I cannot change), which outputs all sorts of useless information. I would like to redirect all output from my Python program into this log, except output that matches the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rswindle
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.logBut during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Lucas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: Code: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.log But during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Luc edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags like the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmonk1
6 Replies
FD(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						     FD(4)

NAME
fd, stdin, stdout, stderr -- file descriptor files DESCRIPTION
The files /dev/fd/0 through /dev/fd/# refer to file descriptors which can be accessed through the file system. If the file descriptor is open and the mode the file is being opened with is a subset of the mode of the existing descriptor, the call: fd = open("/dev/fd/0", mode); and the call: fd = fcntl(0, F_DUPFD, 0); are equivalent. Opening the files /dev/stdin, /dev/stdout and /dev/stderr is equivalent to the following calls: fd = fcntl(STDIN_FILENO, F_DUPFD, 0); fd = fcntl(STDOUT_FILENO, F_DUPFD, 0); fd = fcntl(STDERR_FILENO, F_DUPFD, 0); Flags to the open(2) call other than O_RDONLY, O_WRONLY and O_RDWR are ignored. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
By default, /dev/fd is provided by devfs(5), which provides nodes for the first three file descriptors. Some sites may require nodes for additional file descriptors; these can be made available by mounting fdescfs(5) on /dev/fd. FILES
/dev/fd/# /dev/stdin /dev/stdout /dev/stderr SEE ALSO
tty(4), devfs(5), fdescfs(5) BSD
June 9, 1993 BSD