Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users xargs documentation or tutorial? Post 302227054 by ynilesh on Wednesday 20th of August 2008 01:13:05 PM
Old 08-20-2008
i did read man page. but as usual lots of information with less example and usage?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

afterstep tutorial?

can someone point me out to a good newbie tutorial for afterstep? i've stumbled upon one on the afterstep site, but that tutorial is somewhta lacking. i need to know what configuration files are needed and where they are to be put, etc. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tk tutorial

Anyone know any good website with a step by step instructions on writing Perl GUI scripts with Tk ??? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
3 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Tutorial forum?

I got this account a while ago and didn't have much time to try it out. After having had some frustration by posting tutorials regarding various Linux activites of mine in my Slashdot journals, it occurred to me that this forum might be better suited. I know I can probably post in the OS specific... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deckard
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

RouterSim tutorial.

Hi everyone... Well, this is a kina of help tutorial question. I'm using actually the “RouterSim Network Visualizer” an environment where you can practice and create your own LAN, I will be honest, I'm new to creating and managing networks, but not to new about IP´s. So, the question, anyone... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: TARFU
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AUTOSYS Tutorial

Can any one help me out in finding the AutoSys tutorial? I just know it is one of scheduling tool (like cron job). (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravikirankethe
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please help, looking for UNIX tutorial

Hello, I only have this afternoon to take a UNIX tutorial for my contract job, and I've posted two threads already for the forum, asking if someone could help me find the Gary Hook AIX tutorial. Neither has been published yet. Could you please help me? Thank you. :confused: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffpas
0 Replies

7. AIX

AIX useful tutorial...

hi guys, I want to learn AIX, I am a beginner for this operating system of IBM. Can anyone give me some useful tutorial for a beginner like me?... Thanks... + GOD bless + ^_^ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TechReader
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Need LAMP tutorial!

Hello Everybody, Does anybody know or recommend me a tutorial for LAMP server on Solaris 10 x86? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
3 Replies

9. Web Development

Vue JS 2 Tutorial by The Net Ninja: A Recommended Vue.js Video Tutorial Series

A number of people have asked me how to get started with Vue.js and my reply before today was to Google "Vue.js". That has changed and my recommendation to anyone who wants to learn the fastest growing, easiest to learn and use Vue.js web dev framework is to watch this video tutorial series: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
XARGS(1)						      General Commands Manual							  XARGS(1)

NAME
xargs - construct argument list(s) and execute utility SYNOPSIS
xargs [ -t ][[ -x ] -n number ][ -s size ][ utility [ arguments... ]] DESCRIPTION
The xargs utility reads space, tab, newline and end-of-file delimited arguments from the standard input and executes the specified utility with them as arguments. The utility and any arguments specified on the command line are given to the utility upon each invocation, followed by some number of the arguments read from standard input. The utility is repeatedly executed until standard input is exhausted. Spaces, tabs and newlines may be embedded in arguments using single (`` ' '') or double (``"'') quotes or backslashes (``''). Single quotes escape all non-single quote characters, excluding newlines, up to the matching single quote. Double quotes escape all non-double quote characters, excluding newlines, up to the matching double quote. Any single character, including newlines, may be escaped by a back- slash. The options are as follows: -n number Set the maximum number of arguments taken from standard input for each invocation of the utility. An invocation of utility will use less than number standard input arguments if the number of bytes accumulated (see the s option) exceeds the specified size or there are fewer than number arguments remaining for the last invocation of utility. The current default value for number is 5000. -s size Set the maximum number of bytes for the command line length provided to utility. The sum of the length of the utility name and the arguments passed to utility (including /dev/null terminators) will be less than or equal to this number. The current default value for size is ARG_MAX - 2048. -t Echo the command to be executed to standard error immediately before it is executed. -x Force xargs to terminate immediately if a command line containing number arguments will not fit in the specified (or default) command line length. If no utility is specified, echo(1) is used. Undefined behavior may occur if utility reads from the standard input. The xargs utility exits immediately (without processing any further input) if a command line cannot be assembled, utility cannot be invoked, an invocation of the utility is terminated by a signal or an invocation of the utility exits with a value of 255. The xargs utility exits with a value of 0 if no error occurs. If utility cannot be invoked, xargs exits with a value of 127. If any other error occurs, xargs exits with a value of 1. SEE ALSO
echo(1), find(1) STANDARDS
The xargs utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2("POSIX") compliant. June 6, 1993 XARGS(1)