Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers size of number variable in unix (awk) Post 302226584 by AbhishekG on Tuesday 19th of August 2008 09:30:33 AM
Old 08-19-2008
I have got one way to use printf and force the size to be of length 10. But still let me know other possible ways

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using GREP/AWK to extract a number and store it as a variable

Hello, I have a question regarding the awk command. Here is the line I need to grep: 1 F= -.13250138E+03 E0= -.13249556E+03 d E =-.174650E-01 mag= 35.2157 Instead of displaying the number in red I would like to store it as a variable such as X. Is there a way to do this? Thanks for any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: modey3
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for awk pattern in unix env variable

For a Script I need to detemine which field of the unix environment variable SHLIB_PATH has the WALTDB entry. export SHLIB_PATH=/usr/user5/WALTDB/oracle/product/10.2.0/lib32:/usr/TZD/bin.wdad/mug/oracle/lib: echo $SHLIB_PATH | awk -F: '{ print $1 }' Shure gives me the first entry, but... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdohn
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using unix variable in select column in awk

Hi, I have file on below pattern, and i want to write a generic awk to handle all cases. input_file: col1~col2~col3~col4~col5~col6 I need to generate 4 files something like this File1: col1~~col2~~col3 File2: col1~~col2~~col4 File3: col1~~col2~~col5 File4: col1~~col2~~col6 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: luckybalaji
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk conditional expression to compare field number and variable value

Hi, I'm trying to compare the value in a field to the value in a variable using awk. This works: awk '$7 == "101"'but this is what I want (and it doesn't work): value=101 awk '$7 == "$value"' Any help or insight on this would be great. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goodbenito
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

size for sum variable limitation on awk

Hello first, truth been told, I'm not even close to be advanced user. I'm posting here because maybe my question is complicated enough to need your expert help I need to use awk (or nawk - I don't have gawk) to validate some files by computing the total sum for a large numeric variable. It... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cwitarsa
1 Replies

6. Solaris

awk - Print variable number of colums from a starting column

Hi guys, I usualy am able to google awk stuff but I can't find it so far and there are so many awking gurus here that I will give it a shot. I want to print $1;$3;"$5 up to the $NF". In other words, I can have 1000 colums, but need to have $5 up to the end. I started with the idea of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: plmachiavel
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Unix and Awk to count number of occurrences

Hi, I have a file (movies.sh), this file contains list of movies such as I want to redirect the movies from movies.sh to file_to_process to allow me process the file with out losing anything. I have tried Movies.sh >> file_to_process But I want to add the row number to the data... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: INHF
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk processing of variable number of fields data file

Hy! I need to post-process some data files which have variable (and periodic) number of fields. For example, I need to square (data -> data*data) the folowing data file: -5.34281E-28 -3.69822E-29 8.19128E-29 9.55444E-29 8.16494E-29 6.23125E-29 4.42106E-29 2.94592E-29 1.84841E-29 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: radudownload
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass column number as variable to awk and compare with a string.

Hi All, I have a file test.txt. Content of test.txt : 1 vinay se 2 kumar sse 4 kishore tl I am extracting the content of file with below command. awk '$2 ~ "vinay" {print $0}' test.txt Now instead of hardcoding $2 is there any way pass $2 as variable and compare with a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Girish19
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture the last record number using "awk" NR variable

Hi Team. I am trying to capture the last record number from a file using the below command ( assuming abc.txt has 21 records and I want 21 as output ) awk'{c=NR;print c}'abc.txt But it is printing all the record number. Can someone please help modify the above command? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatwithsaurav
8 Replies
bytes(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						bytes(3pm)

NAME
bytes - Perl pragma to force byte semantics rather than character semantics NOTICE
This pragma reflects early attempts to incorporate Unicode into perl and has since been superseded. It breaks encapsulation (i.e. it exposes the innards of how the perl executable currently happens to store a string), and use of this module for anything other than debugging purposes is strongly discouraged. If you feel that the functions here within might be useful for your application, this possibly indicates a mismatch between your mental model of Perl Unicode and the current reality. In that case, you may wish to read some of the perl Unicode documentation: perluniintro, perlunitut, perlunifaq and perlunicode. SYNOPSIS
use bytes; ... chr(...); # or bytes::chr ... index(...); # or bytes::index ... length(...); # or bytes::length ... ord(...); # or bytes::ord ... rindex(...); # or bytes::rindex ... substr(...); # or bytes::substr no bytes; DESCRIPTION
The "use bytes" pragma disables character semantics for the rest of the lexical scope in which it appears. "no bytes" can be used to reverse the effect of "use bytes" within the current lexical scope. Perl normally assumes character semantics in the presence of character data (i.e. data that has come from a source that has been marked as being of a particular character encoding). When "use bytes" is in effect, the encoding is temporarily ignored, and each string is treated as a series of bytes. As an example, when Perl sees "$x = chr(400)", it encodes the character in UTF-8 and stores it in $x. Then it is marked as character data, so, for instance, "length $x" returns 1. However, in the scope of the "bytes" pragma, $x is treated as a series of bytes - the bytes that make up the UTF8 encoding - and "length $x" returns 2: $x = chr(400); print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 1" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 400" { use bytes; # or "require bytes; bytes::length()" print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 2" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 198.144" } chr(), ord(), substr(), index() and rindex() behave similarly. For more on the implications and differences between character semantics and byte semantics, see perluniintro and perlunicode. LIMITATIONS
bytes::substr() does not work as an lvalue(). SEE ALSO
perluniintro, perlunicode, utf8 perl v5.16.3 2013-02-26 bytes(3pm)