Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Archiving and move files in the same time Post 302225967 by c00kie88 on Monday 18th of August 2008 12:00:01 AM
Old 08-18-2008
Hi Vi-Curious,

It does the same as
gtar -czf backup.tar.gz blah

it does not move the files in the source but making a copy instead.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving by Time

Hi all. I am trying to set up archiving of directories, such that I keep every directory made in the past week, but just one directory per week beyond that. Using the find command, I can easily delete everything more than one week old, but can not figure out how to save one. Each directory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aefskysa
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to move certain files on scheduled time

Hi Friends, I want a shell script which will move certain .jar files from a specified location (say /publish/content) to (/publish/archive) on every saturday morning 6 am. One more thing to add is that before moving files it must check free space at (/publish/archive), if it is more than 60 %... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhishek27
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files one at the time and wait until the previous file is handled

I'm a novice at unix and need it more and more to do my work. I seem running into problems getting this script "attempt" to work: I need to copy all files in a directory, which is containing 22000 files, into a directory one level up. There a tool monitors the content of the dir and processes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: compasscard
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

move files between file systems with privileges, time stamp

Hi I have to move files between file systems but files in new file system must have the same attributes as in old one (privileges, time stamp etc). Which tool is best : - ufsdump / ufsrestore - tar - cpio - pax - dd - mv Or maybe there is sth else, you suggest to use. Thx for help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to move files based on filetype and time created?

Hi, I'm trying to improve my Unix skills and I'm wondering what is the best way to move some files based on filetype and attributes like time created? For instance, lets suppose I have a directory with many different files in it and I'd like to move all the jpgs that were created between May... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LuckyTommy
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to reduce time of archiving

hi all, i have written the following script that does this work: 1. copy large logs files from one server to another. 2. then unzip this files and extraxt from these large https logs only those fields that are neccesary. 3. then archive the extracted logs to new files. BUT the problem is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arrals_vl
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving the files

hi, Am trying to acrhive a bunch of files on some ftp site and somehow managed to come out with the below logic. I'm getting "syntax error: unexpected end of file" error. Interestingly this below snipeet works fine if run for the first time but the subsequent runs fail! Anybody has any idea... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amee5
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving or removing few data from log file in real time

Hi, I have a log file that gets updated every second. Currently the size has grown to 20+ GB. I need to have a command/script, that will try to get the actual size of the file and will remove 50% of the data that are in the log file. I don't mind removing the data as the size has grown to huge... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Souvik Patra
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process 2 lists at the same time and move files.

I have this while loop, that works but is quite slow to process though. I'm hopping there might be a faster/better way to find what I'm looking for. I have 2 lists of numbers, and want to only find files where a file name has both values present. each list has about 100 values. while... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: whegra
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to move files older than certain time?

If there are 100 files created in a directory /data/ today from 2:00 AM to 10:00 AM I need to move files older than 3:00 AM to a new directory /hold/ How to do that? Also, if I have to move files between 3:00 AM to 9:00 AM, how to achieve that (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay
3 Replies
AR(1)							      General Commands Manual							     AR(1)

NAME
ar, aal - archivers SYNOPSIS
ar [dmpqrtx][abciluv] [posname] archive [file ...] aal [dpqrtx][clv] archive [file ...] EXAMPLES
ar r libc.a sort.s # Replace sort.s in libc.a ar rb a.s libc.a b.s # Insert b.s before a.s in libc.a DESCRIPTION
Ar allows groups of files to be put together into a single archive. It is normally used for libraries of compiled procedures. Aal is like ar, but is to be used with the ACK compiler. The following keys are allowed: d: Delete. Ar will delete the named members. m: Move named files. Ar expects a, b, or i to be specified. p: Print the named files (list them on stdout) q: Quickly append to the end of the archive file. r: Replace (append when not in archive). t: Print the archive's table of contents. x: Extract The keys may optionally concatencated with one or more of the following: a: After posname b: Before posname c: Create (suppresses creation message) i: Before posname l: Local temporary file for work instead of /tmp/ar.$$$$$ u: Replace only if dated later than member in archive v: Verbose SEE ALSO
anm(1), asize(1), nm(1), size(1). AR(1)