Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to count characters by line of file ? Post 302225827 by era on Sunday 17th of August 2008 07:31:08 AM
Old 08-17-2008
Code:
perl -nle 'print length' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the line count from 2nd line of the file ?

Hi, I want to get the line count of the file from the 2nd line of the file ? The first line is header so want to skip that. Thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smc3
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Line Count

Hi, Came across a weird problem today. I was just trying to write this small script which would read the number of lines in a file. Depending on the count some further processing would be done. I used wc -l in order to get that done. But since it depends on the number of new line characters, if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Include special system characters in file count

Hi, I have a script that checks the length of each record/line in file - This seems to be working when there are no special systems character that are invisible or hidden. awk -v file=$file '{ if (filename==file) { k+=$5 if (length() <= 10 ){print size length(), "bytes " k} }... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asemota
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking a pattern in file and the count of characters

I am having a zipped file which has the following URL contents - 98.70.217.222 - - "GET /liveupdate-aka.symantec.com/1340071490jtun_nav2k8enn09m25.m25?h=abcdefgh HTTP/1.1" 200 159229484 "-" "hBU1OhDsPXknMepDBJNScBj4BQcmUz5TwAAAAA" "-" In this line here is we only need to consider the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naks_Sh10
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count characters in a csv file and add an word.

Hello, I want to add a sentence to "post column" those who are only less than 30 characters.Thank you very much for your help. "category","title","post" "Z","Zoo","test 54325 test 45363mc." "Z","Zen","rs2w3rsj 2d342dg 2d3s4f23 d23423s23h 2s34s2423g ds232d34 2342." "Z","Zet","test4444... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoo
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to count characters in file 1 in file 2

I need a scripting AWK to compare 2 files. file 1 and 2 are list of keywords 1 is a b c d 2 is aa aaa b bb ccc d I want the AWK script to give us the number of times every keyword in file 1 occurs in file 2. output should be a 2 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anhtt
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To take line count from a file

Hi guys, I am having a file which where i need to take line count based on searching a particular string from a list say list_file.txt which occurs in 2nd column of my main file and to take the line count which doesnot exist in list file say list_file.txt for eg: my main file looks like this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count characters after a line

Hi All! I would like to solve a problem but I have no clue of how do it!I will be grateful if someone could help me! I have a file like this: > genes | transcript ...sequence.... >ENSMUSG00000006638|ENSMUST00000006814 GGGAAATGGAATACCCCTACACAACCAAGATGCTGAGTTCCTCCCTGAGCCCGCAAAACG... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giuliangiuseppe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with listing file name containing particular text and count of lines with 10 characters.

Hi, I've 2 queries. I need to list files which doesn't contain a particular text in the content. For example say, I need to list files which doesn't contain string "abc" from all files ending with *.bad. How can I do that? Also, I want to display number of lines in a file which has atleast... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gangadhar Reddy
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the pipes "|" in line and delete line if count greter then number.

Hello, I have been working on Awk/sed one liner which counts the number of occurrences of '|' in pipe separated lines of file and delete the line from files if count exceeds "17". i.e need to get records having exact 17 pipe separated fields(no more or less) currently i have below : awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies
STRING(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 STRING(3)

NAME
strcat, strncat, strcmp, strncmp, strcasecmp, strncasecmp, strcpy, strncpy, strlen, index, rindex - string operations SYNOPSIS
#include <strings.h> char *strcat(s, append) char *s, *append; char *strncat(s, append, count) char *s, *append; int count; strcmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; strcasecmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncasecmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; char *strcpy(to, from) char *to, *from; char *strncpy(to, from, count) char *to, *from; int count; strlen(s) char *s; char *index(s, c) char *s, c; char *rindex(s, c) char *s, c; DESCRIPTION
These functions operate on null-terminated strings. They do not check for overflow of any receiving string. Strcat appends a copy of string append to the end of string s. Strncat copies at most count characters. Both return a pointer to the null- terminated result. Strcmp compares its arguments and returns an integer greater than, equal to, or less than 0, according as s1 is lexicographically greater than, equal to, or less than s2. Strncmp makes the same comparison but looks at at most count characters. Strcasecmp and strncasecmp are identical in function, but are case insensitive. The returned lexicographic difference reflects a conversion to lower-case. Strcpy copies string from to to, stopping after the null character has been moved. Strncpy copies exactly count characters, appending nulls if from is less than count characters in length; the target may not be null-terminated if the length of from is count or more. Both return to. Strlen returns the number of non-null characters in s. Index (rindex) returns a pointer to the first (last) occurrence of character c in string s or zero if c does not occur in the string. Set- ting c to NULL works. 4th Berkeley Distribution October 22, 1987 STRING(3)