Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grabbing variables and comparing Post 302225820 by Franklin52 on Sunday 17th of August 2008 06:37:44 AM
Old 08-17-2008
An approach with awk:

Code:
awk -F"#" 'BEGIN{
"/usr/bin/dig +short host1.dyndns.com | /usr/bin/tail -n 1" |getline ip["host1.dyndns.com"]
"/usr/bin/dig +short host2.dyndns.com | /usr/bin/tail -n 1" |getline ip["host2.dyndns.com"]}
$2 in ip{$0=ip[$2]" #"$2}
{print}' file > new_file

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing variables

I have searched and found a few threads that have dealt with this, but the examples I've tried haven't seemed to help. I am monitoring our database log for high checkpoints. I can parse out the checkpoint value which can be anywhere from zero into a 3 digit number. I set a variable to be the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two variables

Script #!/bin/sh hardware=PC os=WindowsNET for i in `cat newservers` do x=`sudo /opt/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpplclients |grep $i |head -40 |grep $i|awk '{print $3;exit}'` if then echo "$i is already added" else echo "Need to add" fi done O/p in debug mode bash-2.05$... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajip23
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Variables in Perl

Hi. I have three arrays. @a=('AB','CD','EF'); @b=('AB,'DG',HK'); @c=('DD','TT','MM'); I want to compare the elements of the first two array and if they match then so some substition. I tried using the if statement using the scalar value of the array but its not giving me any output. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamitsin
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing variables

im trying to compare ipaddresses. i loop through an array to see if the ip is already is in the array and if it is it should set a flag and then i wont add it to the array. but its just adding all the ipaddresses to the array if ] then ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnia
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing multiple variables

Hi! I've come up with a ksh-script that produces one or more lists of hosts. At the and of the script, I would like to print only those hosts that exists in all the lists. Ex. HOSTS="host1 host2 host3 host11" HOSTS="host1 host2 host4" HOSTS="host2 host11" HOSTS="host2 host5 host6 host7... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bugenhagen
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing variables in an if statement

#!/bin/bash #timetest TIMENOW="$(date)" T1=12:00:00 echo $TIMENOW >timenow cat timenow |cut -f4 -d' ' >time1 T2=$(sed -n "${1}p" time1) echo "T1 = " $T1 echo "T2 = " $T2 if then echo $T1 else echo $T2 fi I thought scripting was simple! So why does this script result in: T1 =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: habuchas
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk comparing variables

Is there a way to compare variables in a 'awk'? I've been trying for a while and can't figure it out. I'm guessing its not possible :/ VAR=Bob awk '$3 == $VAR { print $1 }' file.txt Regards Jikuu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jikuu
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two variables

I have a script like this. Just couldn't get the comparison part work. Any thought? thanks, #!/usr/bin/ksh -x STEP=`echo $(basename $0 .ksh) | tr "" ""` log=/skip.log while read LINE do if then echo `date`: STEP $STEP skipped by user >> $log exit 0 fi done < $1 echo... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghostmic
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing text between two lines with shell variables.

I would like to grab complex html text between lines using variables. I am running Debian and using mksh shell. Here is the part of the html that I want to extract from. I would like to extract the words 'to love,' and I would like to use the above and below lines as reference points. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bedtime
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Comparing 2 variables in UNIX

Hi, I have 2 variables as given below. How can i compare them and say its matching ? Appreciate your help VAR1=describe/read/write VAR2=read/write/describeThanks, Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prince1987
4 Replies
EZ-IPUPDATE(8)							Dynamic DNS client						    EZ-IPUPDATE(8)

NAME
ez-ipupdate - dynamic DNS client SYNOPSIS
ez-ipupdate [options] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the ez-ipupdate dynamic DNS client. OPTIONS
ez-ipupdate follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). -a, --address <ip address> string to send as your ip address -b, --cache-file <file> file to use for caching the ipaddress -c, --config-file <file> configuration file, almost all arguments can be given with: <name>[=<value>] to see a list of possible config commands try "echo help | ez-ipupdate -c -" -d, --daemon run as a daemon periodicly updating if necessary -e, --execute <command> shell command to execute after a successful update -f, --foreground when running as a daemon run in the foreground -F, --pidfile <file> use <file> as a pid file -g, --request-uri <uri> URI to send updates to -h, --host <host> string to send as host parameter -i, --interface <iface> which interface to use -L, --cloak_title <host> some stupid thing for DHS only -m, --mx <mail exchange> string to send as your mail exchange -M, --max-interval <# of sec> max time in between updates -N, --notify-email <email> address to send mail to if bad things happen -o, --offline set to off line mode -p, --resolv-period <sec> period to check IP if it can't be resolved -P, --period <# of sec> period to check IP in daemon mode (default: 1800 seconds) -q, --quiet be quiet -r, --retrys <num> number of trys (default: 1) -R, --run-as-user <user> change to <user> for running, be ware that this can cause problems with handeling SIGHUP properly if that user can't read the config file. also it can't write it's pid file to a root directory -Q, --run-as-euser <user> change to effective <user> for running, this is NOT secure but it does solve the problems with run-as-user and config files and pid files. -s, --server <server[:port]> the server to connect to -S, --service-type <server> the type of service that you are using try one of: null ezip pgpow dhs dyndns dyndns-static dyndns-custom ods tzo easydns easydns- partner gnudip justlinux dyns hn zoneedit heipv6tb -t, --timeout <sec.millisec> the amount of time to wait on I/O -T, --connection-type <num> number sent to TZO as your connection type (default: 1) -U, --url <url> string to send as the url parameter -u, --user <user[:passwd]> user ID and password, if either is left blank they will be prompted for -w, --wildcard set your domain to have a wildcard alias -z, --partner <partner> specify easyDNS partner (for easydns-partner services) --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit --credits print the credits and exit --signalhelp print help about signals AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Sam Hocevar <sam@zoy.org> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). ez-ipupdate - 3.0.11b7 February 2003 EZ-IPUPDATE(8)