Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Parsing output
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parsing output Post 302225529 by shamrock on Friday 15th of August 2008 03:09:03 PM
Old 08-15-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lochraven
So if I under stand, if $0 matches then it will print $0 and the previous line. Correct?

How could I test if $0 matches DISK .* External and previous match USB then print?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Should it match "USB" or "usb" or does the case not matter??
Code:
awk '$0 ~ /DISK .* External/ && tolower(prev) ~ /usb/ {printf("%s\n%s\n", prev, $0)} 1 {prev=$0}' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing output from ls command

I have to test the directory name which is obtained from for dir in `ls -l|grep $9 ' i need to check whether it is directory ( if yes, I have to check the first 3 character fo the directory how can I do that? Please help me thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaya
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing output

I have a file that contains the output of the ls -iR command, something like this: ./results: 2504641011 result_1410 2500957642 result_525 2504641012 result_1425 2500957643 result_540 ./tests/1: 2500788755 1 2500788743 1000 ./tests/2: 2500788759 3 2500788758 999 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: looza
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing output of system()

Hi, From the above output of df command I need to parse only 43G (available space) and display it. root@localhost:> df -h /vol1/joy Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on /vol1/joy 180G 137G 43G 76% ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjjoy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing ifconfig output

I'm trying to gather information on the interfaces on a large number of servers. If I run ifconfig I will get: eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:56:A2:27:C1 inet addr:10.145.xxx.xxx Bcast:10.152.45.255 Mask:255.255.254.0 ----- eth1 Link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: C0ppert0p
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing the date output

Hi fellows, I need to define a notification for SSL certificate expiration. My Command output is below: (this is the "Expiration Date") Tue Mar 15 09:30:01 2012 So, at 15th Feb (1 month before the expiration), a notification has to be triggered by a script or sth else. How can i set an... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oduth
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing the output from top

Guys can you help me fix this parse error. Here's my script. #!/bin/bash # Set up limit below NOTIFY="6.0% us 6.1% us 6.2% us 6.3% us 6.5% us 6.6% us 6.7% us 6.8% us 6.9% us 7.0% us" # CPU Usage every minute TOP="$(top -b -n2 -d 00.20 |grep Cpu|tail -1 | awk -F ":" '{ print $2 }' | cut... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redtred
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing output

Can somebody provide a solution to parse the following; cat /tmp/xxx Name: QUE_REQU (o.mtaseast-o.dmart) (MTPost queue) Number of messages: 66446 (Age 686 min; Size 214 mb) Backlog (messages): 0 (Age 0 min) Name: QUE_REQU... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing Output of a Variable

i have a log file that contains something similar to this: one two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve thirteen fourteen one two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve thirteen fourteen one two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing of TOP output

Hi , i am trying to set up an alert, when CPU usage (0.2%us in below output) is more than 40% top | head | grep '^Cpu' Cpu(s): 0.2%us, 0.2%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.1%id, 0.6%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st using CUT, i pulled the value 0.2 and assigned to CPU (variable) CPU=$(expr `top | head -10... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek007
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing nsupdate's output

Anybody that's ever used nsupdate knows that it's error management is not very good. I have a wrapper script that when it's got all the information it needs launches the nsupdate command. This is my attempt at parsing the output to help support users quickly know if the command succeded or... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick72
7 Replies
prev(1mh)																 prev(1mh)

Name
       prev - show the previous message

Syntax
       prev [ +folder ] [ -[no]header ] [ -help ] [ -showproc program ] [ -noshowproc ] [ options to ]

Description
       The command displays the previous message in the current folder.  The previous message is the one before the current message in the folder.
       The message that is shown becomes the current message.

You can specify a folder other than the current folder by using the +folder argument.  If you specify a folder, that  becomes  the  current
       folder.

Options
       -header
       -noheader Displays  a  one-line	header before the message.  The header consists of the name of the folder and the message number.  This is
		 the default behavior.	It can be suppressed with the -noheader option.

-help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

-showproc program [ options ]
       -noshowproc
		 Specifies an alternative program to list messages.  The default is to use the program defined by the showproc: entry in the file.
		 As with you can give options to the program at the command line.  These are passed directly to by

The defaults for this command are:

+folder defaults to the current folder
	      -header

Restrictions
       The  command  is  really  a  link  to  the program.  As a result, if you make a link to and that link is not called your link will act like
       instead.  To avoid this, add a profile-entry for the link to your MH profile and add the argument to the entry.

Examples
       The command in the following example displays the previous message in the folder
       $ prev +copylog

Profile Components
       Path:	   To determine your Mail directory
       showproc:   Program to show the message

Files
       The user profile.

See Also
       show(1mh), next(1mh)

prev(1mh)