Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ascending order within text
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ascending order within text Post 302225386 by vidyadhar85 on Friday 15th of August 2008 09:32:33 AM
Old 08-15-2008
this works if your file is already sorted if not sort it and pass the o/p to this command
awk '{printf "line num%s file %s\n",NR-1,$0}' filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort / ascending order

What's the command to sort a file in ascending order and redirect the output to another file? Thanks!!!!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gyik
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

merge two files in ascending order

Hello Friends, I want to merge two files in ascending order on the first field. And if the first field matches sort on 3rd field i.e, TXADDR should come ahead of RXADDR . file1 9 : TXADDR : 00000000 65 : TXDATA 0000000000000011 83 : TXDATA 0000000000000012 453 :... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ascending order

How can I check if array is in ascending order? ---------- Post updated at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:25 PM ---------- Done it now (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending a column of numbers in ascending order to a text file

I have a text file where I want to append a column of numbers in ascending orders. Input: 57 abc 25 def 32 ghi 54 jkl Output:57 abc 57 abc 1 25 def 2 32 ghi 3 54 jkl 4 How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting sequences in ascending order

Hi, I have this single file with a number of sequence inside it of format >string1 data >string100 data >string10 ..... >string5 ... >string67 ...... the dots represent data. I wanted to get the sequences arranged in ascending order like >string1 data >string5 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonia102
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File listing in Ascending order

I have a multiple file with the following name like. file_0.csv file_1.csv file_2.csv file_3.csv file_4.csv file_5.csv file_6.csv file_7.csv file_7.csv file_8.csv file_9.csv file_10.csv file_11.csv file_12.csv file_13.csv file_14.csv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakesh_arxmind
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strings in ascending order

Hi, I have a sequence which has 30000 strings which looks like this >string2991 234445 >string224 470561 >string121 675386 >string4098 177229 >string8049 255838 >string8 672382 >string1115 578415 I want it to be arranged in ascending order >string8 672382 >string121... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siya@
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list files in ascending order?

Hi, I need to list files in ascending order. Filenames are in format inpTDT_1, inpTDT_2, inpTDT_3 and so on. I want to list them in the ascending order based on the digit after underscore and send the output to a file. Please help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neelkanth
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File in ascending order by row

Hi All I have a file like this: ID1 ref_A 10 ref_B 30 ref_C 5 ID2 ref_F 69 ref_G 12 ref_H 5 Every ID is followed by a string(ref_X) followed by a number(every number is referred to the previous ref) I would like to order the file like this(the column could be more, but always with the same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: giuliangiuseppe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

List numerically in ascending order

Hello, I am running ubuntu 16.04 and trying to list all files inside a directory, I need to sort them in ascending order. While surfing on the site, I found an old thread but somehow it did not work. Link Ascending order with sort -nk2 myfile.txt command gives below output: file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
5 Replies
PCLOCK(1)						      General Commands Manual							 PCLOCK(1)

NAME
pclock - pixmap clock SYNOPSIS
pclock [options] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the pclock command. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. pclock is a program that places a small analog clock program on the desktop of X. It was designed to run under the WindowMaker window man- ager. It uses any 64x64 pixmap as a background. OPTIONS
The programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-') and short optoins starting with one dash. A summary of options is included below. -B PIXMAP, --background=PIXMAP Use the given pixmap as the clock background (size must be 64x64). -H COLOR, --hands-color=COLOR Draw the hands (hour, minute and second) in the specified color. -S COLOR, --second-hand-color Draw the second hand in the specified color -h, --help Show summary of options. --hour-hand-length=INT Draw the hour hand with the specified length of INT. --minute-hand-length=INT Draw the minute hand with the specified length of INT. --second-hand-length=INT Draw the second hand with the specified length of INT. --second-hand-width=INT Draw the minute hand with the specified width of INT. -s, --second-hand Don't display the second hand. -v, --version Show version of program. -w, --withdrawn Don't start up in a withdrawn (iconic) state. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Darren Benham <gecko@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). The soft- ware is copyrighted (c) 1998 by and released under the GPL v2. Author: Alexander Kourakos <Alexander@Kourakos.com> Web: http://www.kourakos.com/~awk/pclock/ PCLOCK(1)