Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Want to expand Solaris 10_x86 root UFS partition Post 302225074 by pupp on Thursday 14th of August 2008 12:52:35 PM
Old 08-14-2008
interesting. i see what you mean jiliagre. thanks for pointing that out. i thought i had seen it before but i guess the documentation proves me wrong (i've actually never attempted to grow the root fs but i've done this with other FSs).

when i get home i want to try this out on the root fs though. see if it truly is the case.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UFS partition

Hi all, I have FreeBSD and Debian in my HD, the FreeBSD partition is very small and I'd like to change. I try to use partition magic but it does not work with UFS parition. Anyone know a good partition software? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SeVEn
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making a UFS Partition w/ Linux

Well, the subject speaks for itself; how does one go about making a UFS partition in a Linux environment? I don't recall seeing it as an option in my version of fdisk (I'll have to check again when I go home :( ) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Karma
6 Replies

3. Solaris

Expand ufs Filesystems

Hi All, I need to expand a number of Filesystems on a Sun machine running Solaris 10 OS. But first I am confused; 1. Is it possible to expand a ufs filesystem such as /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s0 (that is not managed by SVM) without lossing existing data? 2. Is it possible to have such a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: atogunde
7 Replies

4. Solaris

how to expand root partition size?

Dear All For installing an application that will seat under /opt , I need to increase my root partition size (/c0t0d0s0) . Can you please let me know how can I increase this partition size? Thank you (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
10 Replies

5. Solaris

Mounting UFS partition on multiple servers?

Hi, I have an application on a SAN partition presented to one server only. If I share this SAN partition with a second server as well, will that cause data corruption (the partition is formatted using ufs) ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Convert root UFS to ZFS on x86 solaris 10/09

Hello All, Good Morning, We are trying to convert the UFS root in to ZFS. Am getting below error. Any one help me out on this ? bash-3.00# zpool list NAME SIZE USED AVAIL CAP HEALTH ALTROOT guru 5.95G 483M 5.48G 7% ONLINE - bash-3.00# zpool create rpool c2t10d0p0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Convert UFS (root) to VxFS

Hi all, How to i use vxfs for my server? Because when i install OS, it is installed with ufs, then after Solaris 10 installation, i proceed to install vxfs. How do i convert all the ufs to vxfs? Or is it what i'm doing is the incorrect way? Please help. :wall: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
9 Replies

8. Solaris

Need Empty SPARC UFS Partition

Can anyone create a SPARC UFS Partition that is like 50 meg, DD the entire partition and zip it up and send it to me? Trying to play around with creating SPARC UFS partitions on linux and need a real one to compare to. I would do it but I do not have access to a SPARC machine anymore. I do not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mooreps
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

10. Solaris

How to increase the /var (UFS) filesystem and root disk under veritas control?

I need to increase the /var (UFS) filesystem and root disk under veritas control or root disk is encapsulated # df -k /var Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/vx/dsk/var 13241195 12475897 674524 96% /var # fstyp /dev/vx/dsk/var ufs # pkginfo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amity
1 Replies
dsenableroot(8) 					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					   dsenableroot(8)

NAME
dsenableroot -- enables or disables the root account. SYNOPSIS
dsenableroot [-d] [-u username] [-p password] [-r rootPassword] DESCRIPTION
dsenableroot sets the password for the root account if enabling the root user account. Otherwise, if disable [-d] is chosen, the root account passwords are removed and the root user is disabled. A list of flags and their descriptions: -u username Username of a user that has administrative privileges on this computer. -p password Password to use in conjunction with the specified username. If this is not specified, you will be prompted for entry. -r rootPassword Password to be used for the root account. If this is not specified for enabling, you will be prompted for entry. EXAMPLES
-dsenableroot Your username will be used and you will be queried for both your password and the new root password to be set to enable the root account. -dsenableroot -d Your username will be used and you will be queried for only your password to disable the root account. -dsenableroot -u username -p userpassword -r rootpassword The supplied arguments will be used to enable the root account. -dsenableroot -d -u username -p userpassword The supplied arguments will be used to disable the root account. Mac OS August 08 2003 Mac OS