Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris chmod -R 777 in /usr Solaris 9 = Major Screwup Post 302222562 by muntaser_zaheer on Thursday 7th of August 2008 03:31:54 AM
Old 08-07-2008
Thank You

Thank you for the great replys. We fixed everything by restoring rights from backup. Everything is up an running except for the man pages. That I'll just rebuild, no big deal. By the way, our backup software is ARCServ.

Again, thanks for the great replys. All of you were a big help.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod 777 on all directories below...how do I do that using the "find" command?

I've got 100 directories that each have 2 directories with in them. Structered like this: /home/domains/domain1/ through to /home/domains/domain100/ and those 2 directories mentioned above are here: /home/domains/domain1/directory1/ /home/domains/domain1/directory2/ through to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neko
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Major differences between AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, Linux

Hi All, I want to know the OS level differences between AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, Linux Apart from the vendor, H/w and command differences, any other significant points. regards, guru Charan (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurukottur
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod 777 security risks?

Hello all, I did a considerable search of the forum and didn't find an answer so I'll ask it here. For clarity's sake I'll state that I know just enough about Unix to be Dangerous (I'm an old Clipper, VO, ASM programmer from the 80's.) I would like to install PHP driven CMS program to my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary777
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod 777 * - oops

I can belive I really did this... chmod 777 /home :eek: I have my /home directory synced to another machine. Can anyone tell me how to get the permissions from back up server /home to production server /home It's important that I dont over write the files on the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shunter63
1 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

can another user 777 and existing 777 dirctory?

User usrA creates dirA directory and runs chmod 777 on the directory. Can usrB issue another 777 on dirA? It appears the answer is no even if the usrA and usrB are part of the same group. I know this is a rare scenario but I just ran across it and found out that usrB receives an error when... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zlek131
4 Replies

6. Solaris

/usr/bin has been changed with 777 permission

Hello Guruz, Relay bad condition :mad: Some has changed the permission to 777 recursively for /usr/bin directory by mistake. Now all the permission looks to be 777 on /usr/bin Hence I am so many system related errors as 1 show below. When I am trying to change the password, I am getting... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bullz26
5 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

What is the difference between chmod in solaris and chmod in Linux?

i think it is the same in both... Iam i right? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumaiya
1 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

chmod -R 777 * in cygwin

Hello, I use windows XP on a small server. Lately I downloaded a software (hydrological computation) which asked me to install as well the software ‘cygwin' (kind of linux in windows environment) and then to perform in cygwin window the command: ‘chmod -R 777 *' in order to give writings... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cedalise
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Only allowing chmod 777 for file upload folder

Hey everyone. I have 2 different linux servers (each one is through a different web hosting company). On both servers I have the exact same PHP file upload script that allows users to upload a file or image to the server (everything on both servers is identical). On server #1 the "attachments"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.Canuck
5 Replies
VGCFGRESTORE(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   VGCFGRESTORE(8)

NAME
vgcfgrestore - restore volume group descriptor area SYNOPSIS
vgcfgrestore [-d|--debug] [-f|--file filename] [-l[l]|--list] [-h|--help] [-M|--Metadatatype1|2] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] VolumeGroupName DESCRIPTION
vgcfgrestore allows you to restore the metadata of VolumeGroupName from a text backup file produced by vgcfgbackup. You can specify a backup file with --file. If no backup file is specified, the most recent one is used. Use --list for a list of the available backup and archive files of VolumeGroupName. OPTIONS
-l | --list -- List files pertaining to VolumeGroupName List metadata backup and archive files pertaining to VolumeGroupName. May be used with the -f option. Does not restore Vol- umeGroupName. -f | --file filename -- Name of LVM metadata backup file Specifies a metadata backup or archive file to be used for restoring VolumeGroupName. Often this file has been created with vgcfg- backup. See lvm for common options. REPLACING PHYSICAL VOLUMES
vgdisplay --partial --verbose will show you the UUIDs and sizes of any PVs that are no longer present. If a PV in the VG is lost and you wish to substitute another of the same size, use pvcreate --restorefile filename --uuid uuid (plus additional arguments as appropriate) to initialise it with the same UUID as the missing PV. Repeat for all other missing PVs in the VG. Then use vgcfgrestore --file filename to restore the volume group's metadata. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcreate(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) VGCFGRESTORE(8)