Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX vmstat displays cpu idle time at 100% Post 302222360 by Ikon on Wednesday 6th of August 2008 05:31:07 PM
Old 08-06-2008
We use vmstat constantly on all our HP-UX servers and we have never had a problem with it reporting. What make you think its wrong? Can you show some examples

We use 11.11 or 11.23.

And we hardly ever reboot.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

CPU idle

hi when should we consider that CPU is loaded? When it is 100% idle or 0%idle?? tx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

sar output gives 98% idle CPU

Dear All, Our HPUX 8 GB 8CPU database server is behaving abnormally for the last 4+ weeks. I have generated a sar output and it is here- 11:46:52 %usr %sys %wio %idle 11:46:53 1 1 6 92 11:46:54 0 1 0 99 11:46:55 0 1 0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashrunil
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CPU 0% idle - how do I find what was running?

Hi, I checking yesterday's SAR logs for one of our servers and it was showing that utilisation was down to 0% for 10 minutes at 2am. We're unaware of any jobs running at this time so need to find out which process caused this spike. Is there anything built into SAR (or does anything else exist)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlam
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vmstat's cpu stats on first line of output are always the same

Hello, I'm seeing this problem with vmstat, where the first line of output always has the same CPU statistics. For example: neked@nekedmachine:~$ date && vmstat Fri Jul 24 06:57:08 EDT 2009 procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- --system-- -----cpu------ r b swpd ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: neked
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the information about cpu idle from top command?

I am using Ubuntu 9.04. I want to write a shell script to get the information about cpu idle from top command at the real time when i call it, compare cpu idle with 20 (20%), if cpu idle > 20 exit 1, vice versa exit 0. Anybody can help me to resolve it ? Thanks alot. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: huyquocnguyen
7 Replies

6. Solaris

top is showing 0% cpu Idle

What should we do if we show a 0% cpu idl on top? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Why CPU idle 0 process nohub lose

Hello Solaris 8 when CPU idle 0 . why nohub process lose ? Thank (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ppmanja
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

idle% cpu and run queue

Hi Everybody, Can anybody explain how CPU idle% is about 50%, but runq-sz more than 1? sar from Solaris 10: 00:00:05 %usr %sys %wio %idle 17:00:08 27 12 0 61 17:20:05 40 15 0 45 17:40:05 27 12 0 61 18:00:05 23... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sant
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Monotring cpu and VMstat in Redhat Linux

Hi , Please some one help me out . How to write a shell cript to monitor cpu usage vmstat and in Redhat linux . vmstat out put should be in percentage. Thanks in advance !!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saanvi
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Idle Process Exhausting CPU

I noticed when having some trouble with code I was testing that the CPU was becoming exhausted and I would have to reboot. After rebooting a couple times I decided to check for other problems before trying my code again. That's when I noticed that the CPU with the idle process was through the roof:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
5 Replies
HALT(8) 							       halt								   HALT(8)

NAME
halt, poweroff, reboot - Halt, power-off or reboot the machine SYNOPSIS
halt [OPTIONS...] poweroff [OPTIONS...] reboot [OPTIONS...] DESCRIPTION
halt, poweroff, reboot may be used to halt, power-off or reboot the machine. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: --help Prints a short help text and exits. --halt Halt the machine, regardless of which one of the three commands is invoked. -p, --poweroff Power-off the machine, regardless of which one of the three commands is invoked. --reboot Reboot the machine, regardless of which one of the three commands is invoked. -f, --force Force immediate halt, power-off, reboot. Do not contact the init system. -w, --wtmp-only Only write wtmp shutdown entry, do not actually halt, power-off, reboot. -d, --no-wtmp Do not write wtmp shutdown entry. --no-wall Do not send wall message before halt, power-off, reboot. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. NOTES
These are legacy commands available for compatibility only. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), shutdown(8), wall(1) systemd 208 HALT(8)