Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep files without header and move to new dir Post 302221434 by era on Monday 4th of August 2008 12:59:30 PM
Old 08-04-2008
You can avoid the Useless Use of ls and avoid reading the rest of each file with awk; all the above script really does is examine the first line, and print the text before any "|" (or the whole line otherwise). Assuming that logic as such is good, the following script is slightly simpler.

Code:
for filen in file*
do
  if awk '/^HDR|/ { exit 0 } { exit 1}' "$filen"
  then
    mv "$filen" nohead
  fi
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep data from header of files

Hello I want to grep data from header of the files . The header conatins data in this format . # $maint$ test1 # $product$ TTT I want to store maint name and product name with path of file . (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: getdpg
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep to move files that contain a line of text

I have a folder with about 4000 files in it. I need to extract the files that contain a certain line of text to another directory. for example files with 'ns1.biz.rr.com' need to be extracted to the directory above or some other directory. I tried using the following but was not successful. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: spartan22
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to move files of particular day from one dir to another dir

Hi, I have hundered's of files of the name CMP_PORT_IN_P200903271623042437_20090328122430_err.xml in error directory of todays date ie 20090328 and in the file name 5th field specifies date only now i want to move all files of 20090328 to another directory i.e reprocess directory. So... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss_ss
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for certain files using a file as input to grep and then move

Hi All, I need to grep few files which has words like the below in the file name , which i want to put it in a file and and grep for the files which contain these names and move it to a new directory , full file name -C20091210.1000-20091210.1100_SMGBSC3:1000... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anita07
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

want to move files in a dir into different directories based on the filename

I want to move the files in a dir to different dirs based on their file names. Ex: i have 4 different files with name - CTS_NONE_10476031_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10633009_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt CTS_NONE_10345673_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10872456_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt and the 1st... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriranga
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to move files in a dir into different directories based on the filename

I want to move the files in a dir to different dirs based on their file names. Ex: i have 4 different files with name - CTS_NONE_10476031_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10633009_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt CTS_NONE_10345673_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10872456_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt and the 1st... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriranga
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to move the files from one dir to other other dir

Need a script to move the files from one dir to other dir and at the same time it has to read the log in the source dir. Please help me ASAP. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: viswanathkishor
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move all files from dir and subdir to Archive with File name as complete path_filename

HI, I need to move all files from a dir & its all subdir to Archive folder which is indise dir only. and moved filename should changed to complete path ( Like Dir_subdir_subdir2_.._filename ). also all files names shoud capture in a file in order to mail I written below code ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: minijain7
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to move all files in a dir into a certain dir

Hello all, I'm very new to shell scripting and need quite urgently to do this thing for my student job. I have a directory called "vectors" with a bunch of files all named ".vector". also i have for each of those files a directory with the name . I now want to move each of those *.vector files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sherresh
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files in dir and grep accordingly

bash or c-shell On Solaris 10 I need a command that will list the files of a directory, and grep each of those filenames out of a static text file, and then only echo field 2 of the static text file. Something like this: #> ls -1 /home/dir/ | each filename grep $filename static.txt |awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)