Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications SSH: Avoiding password prompt with rsa key generation Post 302220523 by incredible on Friday 1st of August 2008 03:31:11 AM
Old 08-01-2008
remove any "old" keys that might be sitting in the authorized file. did you plant in the key correctly? check that its of ONE line only

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP in Shell Script with RSA-KEY or password.

I am trying to SFTP to a couple sites. One has an RSA-KEY that was sent to me. Currently I am running that manually using WinSCP. I would like to set it up as a CRON process on our Linux host (Sun). Can I use the rsa-key they sent me in any directory or does it need to be placed in a specific... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alemat
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

automating RSA key pair generation

I want to automate the process of generating RSA keys. I want to remotley login to a linux machine from a windows maching without having to enter a password. For this I need to generate the RSA key pair. but I want to do this procedure on alot of linux machines. For which I was looking to automate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lassimanji
2 Replies

3. AIX

Ssh installation error "RSA key generation failed"

While trying to upgrade ssh from v4.7 to v5.0 on AIX 5.3 TL9, I end up with the following error. Has anyone come across this? Note: openssl has been upgraded to 0.9.8.840 before this upgrade Bala (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
0 Replies

4. AIX

While trying to do ssh without password, rsa key file is created as empty.

Hi i have aix 5.3 operating system, and i am trying to do ssh without passwd, when i tried to create a rsakey, it produces empty file as an output, how can solve that problem? why it is giving empty output file, i tried with different user, situation same,.i have restarted sshd server. .ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nibiru78
2 Replies

5. Linux

SSH user equivalency still prompt for password

Hi All, I've followed the exact same steps of how to setup and enable SSH user equivalent including the right permission, but when I "ssh" it still prompts for password. Could you help to see what I did wrong? I appreciate any helps. :confused: server1.com:/u01/oracle RAC1 > mkdir... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginer0705
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SSH version of rlogin (ie without password prompt)

I have 3 Solaris 10 UNIX servers, the shadow and passwd file are all identical and are automatically sync every 5 minutes. A majority of the users do not have CLI access but rather use a menu. I currently have menu options that allows them to rlogin to another server and I need to have the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: creedonjm
1 Replies

7. Programming

Test SSH but do not return password prompt

Hello forum, I want to have a function to test for passwordless SSH setup. Pretty simple. However, what I'm finding difficult is to NOT return a password prompt to screen IF it's not in place. Here's the function: check_passwordless_ssh_working() #check passed parameter, assuming it is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: doonan_79
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need Password-Less ssh with RSA-VPN

We have RSA SecureID softtoken key generator on my Windows machine. It generates new keys every 1 minute. Any HPUX server (be it ServerD or ServerP) requires my ID and the randomly generated RSA SecureID softtoken key from my Windows to login. I login to ServerD. Then I run a script... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[SSH-RSA] Still prompting for password after generating keys

Hello, I'm trying to perform these operations without entering any password, as user "fzd":fzd@machine1> scp /tmp/srcFile1 fzd@machine2:/tmp/$destFile fzd@machine1> scp fzd@machine2:/tmp/$srcFile /tmp/$destFilebut alsofzd@machine1> scp /tmp/srcFile1 machine2:/tmp/$destFile fzd@machine1> scp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fzd
6 Replies

10. Red Hat

Sudo Password Prompt over SSH

I am not sure what I am missing here. I have the following identical entry in /etc/sudoers on multiple Red Hat 6.4 servers. icinga ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/yum --security --exclude\="kernel*" check-update On one server when I enter the command over SSH as follows it works fine. ssh -t -q... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
1 Replies
SSH-COPY-ID(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					    SSH-COPY-ID(1)

NAME
ssh-copy-id -- use locally available keys to authorise logins on a remote machine SYNOPSIS
ssh-copy-id [-f] [-n] [-i [identity_file]] [-p port] [-o ssh_option] [user@]hostname ssh-copy-id -h | -? DESCRIPTION
ssh-copy-id is a script that uses ssh(1) to log into a remote machine (presumably using a login password, so password authentication should be enabled, unless you've done some clever use of multiple identities). It assembles a list of one or more fingerprints (as described below) and tries to log in with each key, to see if any of them are already installed (of course, if you are not using ssh-agent(1) this may result in you being repeatedly prompted for pass-phrases). It then assembles a list of those that failed to log in, and using ssh, enables logins with those keys on the remote server. By default it adds the keys by appending them to the remote user's ~/.ssh/authorized_keys (creating the file, and directory, if necessary). It is also capable of detecting if the remote system is a NetScreen, and using its 'set ssh pka-dsa key ...' command instead. The options are as follows: -i identity_file Use only the key(s) contained in identity_file (rather than looking for identities via ssh-add(1) or in the default_ID_file). If the filename does not end in .pub this is added. If the filename is omitted, the default_ID_file is used. Note that this can be used to ensure that the keys copied have the comment one prefers and/or extra options applied, by ensuring that the key file has these set as preferred before the copy is attempted. -f Forced mode: doesn't check if the keys are present on the remote server. This means that it does not need the private key. Of course, this can result in more than one copy of the key being installed on the remote system. -n do a dry-run. Instead of installing keys on the remote system simply prints the key(s) that would have been installed. -h, -? Print Usage summary -p port, -o ssh_option These two options are simply passed through untouched, along with their argument, to allow one to set the port or other ssh(1) options, respectively. Rather than specifying these as command line options, it is often better to use (per-host) settings in ssh(1)'s configuration file: ssh_config(5). Default behaviour without -i, is to check if 'ssh-add -L' provides any output, and if so those keys are used. Note that this results in the comment on the key being the filename that was given to ssh-add(1) when the key was loaded into your ssh-agent(1) rather than the comment contained in that file, which is a bit of a shame. Otherwise, if ssh-add(1) provides no keys contents of the default_ID_file will be used. The default_ID_file is the most recent file that matches: ~/.ssh/id*.pub, (excluding those that match ~/.ssh/*-cert.pub) so if you create a key that is not the one you want ssh-copy-id to use, just use touch(1) on your preferred key's .pub file to reinstate it as the most recent. EXAMPLES
If you have already installed keys from one system on a lot of remote hosts, and you then create a new key, on a new client machine, say, it can be difficult to keep track of which systems on which you've installed the new key. One way of dealing with this is to load both the new key and old key(s) into your ssh-agent(1). Load the new key first, without the -c option, then load one or more old keys into the agent, possibly by ssh-ing to the client machine that has that old key, using the -A option to allow agent forwarding: user@newclient$ ssh-add user@newclient$ ssh -A old.client user@oldl$ ssh-add -c ... prompt for pass-phrase ... user@old$ logoff user@newclient$ ssh someserver now, if the new key is installed on the server, you'll be allowed in unprompted, whereas if you only have the old key(s) enabled, you'll be asked for confirmation, which is your cue to log back out and run user@newclient$ ssh-copy-id -i someserver The reason you might want to specify the -i option in this case is to ensure that the comment on the installed key is the one from the .pub file, rather than just the filename that was loaded into you agent. It also ensures that only the id you intended is installed, rather than all the keys that you have in your ssh-agent(1). Of course, you can specify another id, or use the contents of the ssh-agent(1) as you pre- fer. Having mentioned ssh-add(1)'s -c option, you might consider using this whenever using agent forwarding to avoid your key being hijacked, but it is much better to instead use ssh(1)'s ProxyCommand and -W option, to bounce through remote servers while always doing direct end-to-end authentication. This way the middle hop(s) don't get access to your ssh-agent(1). A web search for 'ssh proxycommand nc' should prove enlightening (N.B. the modern approach is to use the -W option, rather than nc(1)). SEE ALSO
ssh(1), ssh-agent(1), sshd(8) BSD
June 17, 2010 BSD