Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: date command help
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting date command help Post 302220138 by era on Thursday 31st of July 2008 02:14:41 AM
Old 07-31-2008
Quoting the date info page:

Quote:
The fuzz in units can cause problems with relative items. For example, `2003-07-31 -1 month' might evaluate to 2003-07-01, because 2003-06-31 is an invalid date. To determine the previous month more reliably, you can ask for the month before the 15th of the current month. For example:

Code:
$ date -R
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:02:39 -0700
$ date --date='-1 month' +'Last month was %B?'
Last month was July?
$ date --date="$(date +%Y-%m-15) -1 month" +'Last month was %B!'
Last month was June!

Also, take care when manipulating dates around clock changes such as daylight saving leaps. In a few cases these have added or subtracted as much as 24 hours from the clock, so it is often wise to adopt universal time by setting the `TZ' environment variable to `UTC0' before embarking on calendrical calculations.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

date command

Using the date command how do get yesterday's date?? e.g. date '+%b%e%Y' July 30 2002 I need to get July 29 2002 using the date command. Thanx (p.s. sorry if it's a very obvious question) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: niamo1
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date Command

we're using HP-UX I need to change the year. What is the date command? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saldana
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to get previous date from date command in ksh

I want to get previous date from date command. I am using ksh shell. Exmp: today is 2008.09.04 I want the result : 2008.09.03 Please help. Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

date command

Hi All. I'm using date -a to 'drift' the time forward / backwards. The question is - how do I know when its finished 'drifting' ? On some systems I have another time reference I can use but not always. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mudshark
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

date command

Hi is it possible to give the date command like 24th July 2009 ive tried DATE=`date "+%d%m%Y" echo $DATE that only replies 2009 correctly. not sure how to display the month in full or if unix knows how to do i.e 2nd, 24th, 3rd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: magnia
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to obtain date and day of the week from `date` command

Hi, does anybody know how to format `date` command correctly to return the day of the week? Thanks -A I work in ksh.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get tomorrow,yesterday date from date Command

Hi I want to get tomorrow and yesterday date from date command. My shell is KSH and server is AIX. I tried several options, but unable to do. Please help on this. Regards Rajesh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshmepco
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find week of the year for given date using date command inside awk

Hi all, Need an urgent help on the below scenario. script: awk -F"," 'BEGIN { #some variable assignment} { #some calculation and put values in array} END { year=#getting it from array and assume this will be 2014 month=#getting it from array and this will be 05 date=#... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaidhas
7 Replies

9. HP-UX

HP/UX command to pull file name/date based on date

HI, Can anyone tell me how to pull the date and file name separated by a space using the find command or any other command. I want to look through several directories and based on a date timeframe (find -mtime -7), output the file name (without the path) and the date(in format mmddyyyy) to a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lnemitz
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

awk command in hp UNIX subtract 30 days automatically from current date without date illegal option

current date command runs well awk -v t="$(date +%Y-%m-%d)" -F "'" '$1 < t' myname.dat subtract 30 days fails awk -v t="$(date --date="-30days" +%Y-%m-%d)" -F "'" '$1 < t' myname.dat awk command in hp unix subtract 30 days automatically from current date without date illegal option error... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmarcus
20 Replies
CAL(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAL(1)

NAME
cal, ncal -- displays a calendar and the date of Easter SYNOPSIS
cal [-3hjy] [-A number] [-B number] [[month] year] cal [-3hj] [-A number] [-B number] -m month [year] ncal [-3hjJpwy] [-A number] [-B number] [-s country_code] [[month] year] ncal [-3hJeo] [-A number] [-B number] [year] ncal [-CN] [-H yyyy-mm-dd] [-d yyyy-mm] DESCRIPTION
The cal utility displays a simple calendar in traditional format and ncal offers an alternative layout, more options and the date of Easter. The new format is a little cramped but it makes a year fit on a 25x80 terminal. If arguments are not specified, the current month is dis- played. The options are as follows: -h Turns off highlighting of today. -J Display Julian Calendar, if combined with the -e option, display date of Easter according to the Julian Calendar. -e Display date of Easter (for western churches). -j Display Julian days (days one-based, numbered from January 1). -m month Display the specified month. If month is specified as a decimal number, it may be followed by the letter 'f' or 'p' to indicate the following or preceding month of that number, respectively. -o Display date of Orthodox Easter (Greek and Russian Orthodox Churches). -p Print the country codes and switching days from Julian to Gregorian Calendar as they are assumed by ncal. The country code as deter- mined from the local environment is marked with an asterisk. -s country_code Assume the switch from Julian to Gregorian Calendar at the date associated with the country_code. If not specified, ncal tries to guess the switch date from the local environment or falls back to September 2, 1752. This was when Great Britain and her colonies switched to the Gregorian Calendar. -w Print the number of the week below each week column. -y Display a calendar for the specified year. -3 Display the previous, current and next month surrounding today. -A number Display the number of months after the current month. -B number Display the number of months before the current month. -C Switch to cal mode. -N Switch to ncal mode. -d yyyy-mm Use yyyy-mm as the current date (for debugging of date selection). -H yyyy-mm-dd Use yyyy-mm-dd as the current date (for debugging of highlighting). A single parameter specifies the year (1-9999) to be displayed; note the year must be fully specified: ``cal 89'' will not display a calendar for 1989. Two parameters denote the month and year; the month is either a number between 1 and 12, or a full or abbreviated name as speci- fied by the current locale. Month and year default to those of the current system clock and time zone (so ``cal -m 8'' will display a calen- dar for the month of August in the current year). Not all options can be used together. For example ``-3 -A 2 -B 3 -y -m 7'' would mean: show me the three months around the seventh month, three before that, two after that and the whole year. ncal will warn about these combinations. A year starts on January 1. Highlighting of dates is disabled if stdout is not a tty. SEE ALSO
calendar(3), strftime(3) HISTORY
A cal command appeared in Version 5 AT&T UNIX. The ncal command appeared in FreeBSD 2.2.6. AUTHORS
The ncal command and manual were written by Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
The assignment of Julian-Gregorian switching dates to country codes is historically naive for many countries. Not all options are compatible and using them in different orders will give varying results. BSD
March 14, 2009 BSD