Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting read command (input) inside the while loop Post 302219787 by Ygor on Wednesday 30th of July 2008 04:09:02 AM
Old 07-30-2008
My guess is that you are using a "while read" loop and redirecting a file to standard input. If you want to read from the controlling terminal during the loop, try...
Code:
 read REPLY < /dev/tty

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read inside a while loop

Hi all, In a while loop, like below... while read line do read choice case $choice in 1) echo "xxx" esac done < file why I can't run the read choice???? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dta4316
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

input inside while read loop

Hi all Does anyone have a script that will allow me to stop inside a while read loop. I want to pause the loop until a enter is pressed. e.g. While read line do echo something if LINECOUNT > 40 then read ENTER?"PRESS ENTER TO CONT..." ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read user input from within a wile loop that is being fed from below

hi! i need to do a ksh script that uses a wile loop that is fed form below while read line do some things done < myfile inside the while loop i need to read user input to ask the user what he wants to do, but "read" reads the file, and not the standard input while read line do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: broli
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting user input from inside a while loop?

I'm new to BASH and i'm trying to create a script which is simply put a large find and replace file. This is what I have so far N=0 while read LINE ; do N=$((N+1)) sed 's/'$2'/'$3'/g' $LINE > .temp echo "Changes to file $N = $LINE" echo 'The following changes... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azumandious
5 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to read user keyboard input inside the case?

I need to Write a shell script that allows some system-administration tasks to be preformed automatically from a menu-driven interface. with automated following tasks: Copy directory tree Delete files or directories Output Information (this part is done ) *Copy directory tree The “Copy... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: femchi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update file record inside read loop

Hi, I am reading file records inside a while loop, and want to update the record when certain condition is met. How can I update a file while being read? I want to avoid using temporary files, copy, rename, ... while IFS=',' read -r f1 f2 do function(f1,f2) if then <add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ysrini
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop inside awk to read and print contents of files

Hello, I have a set of files Xfile0001 - Xfile0021, and the content of this files (one at a time) needs to be printed between some line (lines start with word "Generated") that I am extracting from another file called file7.txt and all the output goes into output.txt. First I tried creating a for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaldo0805
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh loop to read input until QUIT

Hi I'm looking to write a simple ksh loop reading user input (and write it to a file) until the user enters QUIT at which point I want it to continue. Does anyone have an example of this type of loop? Any help much appreciated Cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to read user input inside a loop

Hi, This query is a part of a much more lengthy script. I wish to look for all the files in a folder named "data" which in this case has two files i.e. plan.war and agent.properties. For all the files found under data I wish to ask the user as to where they wish copy the files to. Below,... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file input in while loop does not work on AIX system

I'm working on Aix 6.1 and using ksh shell. The below works fine on Linux bash or ksh shell . while IFS= read -r dirpath ; do echo "Hi" done <<<"$var" However, any such while loop that reads the input from file or variable using <<< fails on Aix system with the below error: Below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
READPASSPHRASE(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					 READPASSPHRASE(3)

NAME
readpassphrase -- get a passphrase from the user SYNOPSIS
#include <readpassphrase.h> char * readpassphrase(const char *prompt, char *buf, size_t bufsiz, int flags); DESCRIPTION
The readpassphrase() function displays a prompt to, and reads in a passphrase from, /dev/tty. If this file is inaccessible and the RPP_REQUIRE_TTY flag is not set, readpassphrase() displays the prompt on the standard error output and reads from the standard input. In this case it is generally not possible to turn off echo. Up to bufsiz - 1 characters (one is for the NUL) are read into the provided buffer buf. Any additional characters and the terminating new- line (or return) character are discarded. The readpassphrase() function takes the following optional flags: RPP_ECHO_OFF turn off echo (default behavior) RPP_ECHO_ON leave echo on RPP_REQUIRE_TTY fail if there is no tty RPP_FORCELOWER force input to lower case RPP_FORCEUPPER force input to upper case RPP_SEVENBIT strip the high bit from input The calling process should zero the passphrase as soon as possible to avoid leaving the cleartext passphrase visible in the process's address space. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, readpassphrase() returns a pointer to the null-terminated passphrase. If an error is encountered, the terminal state is restored and a NULL pointer is returned. FILES
/dev/tty EXAMPLES
The following code fragment will read a passphrase from /dev/tty into the buffer passbuf. char passbuf[1024]; ... if (readpassphrase("Response: ", passbuf, sizeof(passbuf), RPP_REQUIRE_TTY) == NULL) errx(1, "unable to read passphrase"); if (compare(transform(passbuf), epass) != 0) errx(1, "bad passphrase"); ... memset(passbuf, 0, sizeof(passbuf)); SIGNALS
The readpassphrase() function will catch the following signals: SIGINT SIGHUP SIGQUIT SIGTERM SIGTSTP SIGTTIN SIGTTOU When one of the above signals is intercepted, terminal echo will be restored if it had previously been turned off. If a signal handler was installed for the signal when readpassphrase() was called that handler is then executed. If no handler was previously installed for the sig- nal then the default action is taken as per sigaction(2). The SIGTSTP, SIGTTIN, and SIGTTOU signals (stop signal generated from keyboard or due to terminal I/O from a background process) are treated specially. When the process is resumed after it has been stopped, readpassphrase() will reprint the prompt and the user may then enter a passphrase. ERRORS
[EINTR] The readpassphrase() function was interrupted by a signal. [EINVAL] The bufsiz argument was zero. [EIO] The process is a member of a background process attempting to read from its controlling terminal, the process is ignoring or blocking the SIGTTIN signal or the process group is orphaned. [EMFILE] The process has already reached its limit for open file descriptors. [ENFILE] The system file table is full. [ENOTTY] There is no controlling terminal and the RPP_REQUIRE_TTY flag was specified. SEE ALSO
sigaction(2), getpass(3) STANDARDS
The readpassphrase() function is an extension and should not be used if portability is desired. HISTORY
The readpassphrase() function first appeared in OpenBSD 2.9. BSD
December 7, 2001 BSD