Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris questions on how to install Solaris 10 via DVD/RW external device Post 302217705 by bluridge on Wednesday 23rd of July 2008 10:36:35 AM
Old 07-23-2008
boot /path/to/device not working

Duke,

Do do you know from the info I gave you that it is indeed an scsi device?

I am unable to do the probe-scsi-all command at the ok prompt, get the error message like "This command may hand the system if a Stop-A or halt command has been executed. Please type reset-all to reset the system before executing this command". I did a reset-all and still get this message to come up.

However, doing the devalias brings up something and the cdrom has this path:
/pci@1f,0/ide@d/cdrom@3,0:f

At the ok prompt, I did this boot /pci@1f,0/ide@d/cdrom@3,0:f

And the system rebooted amd came up to the console prompt. I think I have to remove some of the characters at the end of the command I did, such as removing the 0:f? It looks like this path is for the internal cdrom? For the external cdrom drive, do I look doe the cdrom in devalias?

As stated, I need to boot to this external device and this is all new to me, don't think I ever needed to do this before. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Install Solaris on External Firewire Disk

Hello All, I have a laptop running windows 2000 and I have a External Firewire Hard Disk of 60 GB. Now my question is, " Is it possible to install Solaris 8 on this external Firewire Hard Disk". When I tried installing, It did not find the external Firewire Disk, the only partition information,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I install Solaris 10 x86 on a machine without a DVD drive?

How can I install Solaris 10 x86 on a machine without a DVD drive? Is there a way to boot from a flash stick or install it through a network? Any help will be appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Installing Solaris x86 through an external DVD drive through the USB port...

Is there a way to install Solaris 10 x86 with an external DVD drive that connects through the USB port? I would think I would run GRUB off of a floppy disk and somehow use that to make it look to the USB port to boot from but I don't know how to do that. Can anyone help me out? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
1 Replies

4. Solaris

SunFire V245, External CD/DVD-ROM, Solaris Install

Hey all. Wondering - I have a pair of V245's with no internal CD/DVD-ROM drives, and I want to install the latest/greatest Solaris 10. Booting these machines with an external drive plugged in via USB does no good. Is jumpstart or installing internal drives the only alternative? I'm a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: b1f30
1 Replies

5. Solaris

how to install solaris on portable external harddisk

Hi Fnds, I dont have enough space on my Vista based PC and I want solais to be installed on a portable external hard disk. Can anybody tell me how I can install solaris on external harddisk. cheers :), Vinodky (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinodky
1 Replies

6. Solaris

x4270 Solaris Install without DVD Drive

Hello, Im installing solaris 10 on an x4270 server, but there is no DVD drive. I have only my windows laptop (with dvd drive) and direct access to the ILOM on the server via straight cable. Does anyone know any tips on how to get the solaris installed using what i have? Thanks, K. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kerrygold
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How to Install EIS DVD for SPARC (solaris 10)

hello, i need to install eis dvd (recommanded patches) dvd for a client, but i don't know the procedure, can you please help? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: feg
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 install dvd drive boots, but not recoginized by install process

I am trying to build a Sun Ultra 10 with solaris 10. This computer is one of a collection that was donated to the non-profic company I work for. All media was wiped before I recieved them, so I am starting from stratch. I downloaded the Solaris 10 ISO and burned a DVD. The computer came with a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwillhight
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 install with no DVD drive

Hi Guys, I think i probably know the answer to this question, but ill put it out there. I have access to one, and only one SunFire v240 with no DVD drive. I have been tasked with installing Solaris 10 on there (Solaris 8 is on at the moment). The obvious thing was to try a USB DVD... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sol-nova
4 Replies

10. Solaris

PKG install from Solaris 11.2 text installer DVD

Sorry if this has been already answered. The solaris 11 IPS is frustrating me. I want to install a package group from the 11.2 ( in this case) Text Installer DVD. 1) is this possible? 2) if yes, how do I set the publisher to point the dvd mount point /media/Oracle_Solaris-11_2-Text-Sparc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
1 Replies
APT-CDROM(8)								APT							      APT-CDROM(8)

NAME
apt-cdrom - APT CD-ROM management utility SYNOPSIS
apt-cdrom [-rmfan] [-d=cdrom_mount_point] [-o=config_string] [-c=config_file] {add | ident | {-v | --version} | {-h | --help}} DESCRIPTION
apt-cdrom is used to add a new CD-ROM to APT's list of available sources. apt-cdrom takes care of determining the structure of the disc as well as correcting for several possible mis-burns and verifying the index files. It is necessary to use apt-cdrom to add CDs to the APT system; it cannot be done by hand. Furthermore each disc in a multi-CD set must be inserted and scanned separately to account for possible mis-burns. Unless the -h, or --help option is given, one of the commands below must be present. add add is used to add a new disc to the source list. It will unmount the CD-ROM device, prompt for a disc to be inserted and then proceed to scan it and copy the index files. If the disc does not have a proper .disk directory you will be prompted for a descriptive title. APT uses a CD-ROM ID to track which disc is currently in the drive and maintains a database of these IDs in /var/lib/apt/cdroms.list ident A debugging tool to report the identity of the current disc as well as the stored file name OPTIONS
All command line options may be set using the configuration file, the descriptions indicate the configuration option to set. For boolean options you can override the config file by using something like -f-,--no-f, -f=no or several other variations. --no-auto-detect, --cdrom Do not try to auto-detect the CD-ROM path. Usually combined with the --cdrom option. Configuration Item: Acquire::cdrom::AutoDetect. -d, --cdrom Mount point; specify the location to mount the CD-ROM. This mount point must be listed in /etc/fstab and properly configured. Configuration Item: Acquire::cdrom::mount. -r, --rename Rename a disc; change the label of a disc or override the disc's given label. This option will cause apt-cdrom to prompt for a new label. Configuration Item: APT::CDROM::Rename. -m, --no-mount No mounting; prevent apt-cdrom from mounting and unmounting the mount point. Configuration Item: APT::CDROM::NoMount. -f, --fast Fast Copy; Assume the package files are valid and do not check every package. This option should be used only if apt-cdrom has been run on this disc before and did not detect any errors. Configuration Item: APT::CDROM::Fast. -a, --thorough Thorough Package Scan; This option may be needed with some old Debian 1.1/1.2 discs that have Package files in strange places. It takes much longer to scan the CD but will pick them all up. -n, --just-print, --recon, --no-act No Changes; Do not change the sources.list(5) file and do not write index files. Everything is still checked however. Configuration Item: APT::CDROM::NoAct. -h, --help Show a short usage summary. -v, --version Show the program version. -c, --config-file Configuration File; Specify a configuration file to use. The program will read the default configuration file and then this configuration file. If configuration settings need to be set before the default configuration files are parsed specify a file with the APT_CONFIG environment variable. See apt.conf(5) for syntax information. -o, --option Set a Configuration Option; This will set an arbitrary configuration option. The syntax is -o Foo::Bar=bar. -o and --option can be used multiple times to set different options. SEE ALSO
apt.conf(5), apt-get(8), sources.list(5) DIAGNOSTICS
apt-cdrom returns zero on normal operation, decimal 100 on error. BUGS
APT bug page[1]. If you wish to report a bug in APT, please see /usr/share/doc/debian/bug-reporting.txt or the reportbug(1) command. AUTHORS
Jason Gunthorpe APT team NOTES
1. APT bug page http://bugs.debian.org/src:apt APT 1.6.3ubuntu0.1 30 November 2013 APT-CDROM(8)