Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help regarding saving information within a script! Post 302214946 by merv333 on Tuesday 15th of July 2008 08:00:00 AM
Old 07-15-2008
You can cat the file and place the values in variables. See below....

[root@miux78 ~]# cat data.txt
taylor|Richard|41|new york|DSGi
riley|Richard|21|london|Halfords
Peterson|Nigel|34|Whitby|Jacksons
Wellard|FromEastenders|8|Eastendville|Eastenders
Smith|Jerry|44|chelmsford|none

[root@miux78 ~]# for X in `cat data.txt`
> do
> FNAME=`echo $X|awk -F\| '{ print $1 }'`
> LNAME=`echo $X|awk -F\| '{ print $2 }'`
> AGE=`echo $X|awk -F\| '{ print $3 }'`
> CITY=`echo $X|awk -F\| '{ print $4 }'`
> REGION=`echo $X|awk -F\| '{ print $5 }'`
> echo "Firstname = "$FNAME" Last name = "$LNAME" AGE = "$AGE" CITY = "$CITY" REGION = "$REGION
> done
Firstname = taylor Last name = Richard AGE = 41 CITY = new REGION =
Firstname = york Last name = DSGi AGE = CITY = REGION =
Firstname = riley Last name = Richard AGE = 21 CITY = london REGION = Halfords
Firstname = Peterson Last name = Nigel AGE = 34 CITY = Whitby REGION = Jacksons
Firstname = Wellard Last name = FromEastenders AGE = 8 CITY = Eastendville REGION = Eastenders
Firstname = Smith Last name = Jerry AGE = 44 CITY = chelmsford REGION = none

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script execution information

I want to catch the execution information of a script by calling it from another script.... script_main: #! /bin/ksh ksh -x script2.ksh >> tmplog .... but this doesn't give me anything but the error msgs of script in tmplog. can anyone pls suggest which is the right method? The... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: manthasirisha
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backing up file everytime script run and saving other backups

how would i go about creatng a backup of a file everytime a script is run so that the next time it is run the old backup gets pushed back and the most recent backup is 1st. (new)backup.1 (old)backup.2 that kind of idea?? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: knc9233
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script information needed

Transferring files from one unix server to another one was easy for me. I used a relative path which worked for me. thanks to porter. My question now is that:- 1)Say for instance i have one unix server with name(ABC). PATH: /home/web/props . I have bunch of different users folders in that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris1234
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User information script

Hi Guys, I just started learning unix and was wondering if anyone can assist me with my User info script.The script file lets the user input their personal information (Their name, address, phone number etc...). The script will then ask the user to input the info again if the input is incorrect... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rc1138
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing & Saving using shell script

Hi, OS: Unix, linux, hp-unix (all unix flavours) Iam trying to change some string values, special characters or otherwise in a file. As of now, i go using vi <filename>, open the file and do the edit manually and save it. Is it possible to write a shell script so that i just run the script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenkanya
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to collect all db information

hi all I am looking for shell script ,by which i need to gather all the DB information in Sybase server . Thanks in advance :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvsramarao
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compact information !

Hello Group, Could you please help me with a shell script that condense in this case each 12 rows of hour information in only one row per day as following: Final Fields in each row 1.Ticker Name 2. D (Daily) 3. Date 4. Open Price (The open price of the first record of the day) 5. High... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: csierra
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Saving a temporary output within a script

Good morning everyone, i am looking to know how to save the output of a command and reuse it again within a script i already tired this one but it didn't work TEMPDIR=/dir1/dir2 My_command> $TEMPDIR/$TEMPFILE rm $TEMPDIR/$TEMPFILE* it keeps saying "cannot write to a... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Portabello
15 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script for saving oracle database records in variable

i want to retrieve value in each column of each row in sql plus and save them into array variable and echo the value in array variable (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramish
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - saving results of external script to variable.

So, I've been playing with speeding up some analysis we do by using multiple threads of awk (actually, mawk, but code-compatible as far as I use it) on multiple CPU cores. So, I have a big data file and I have several copies of exactly the same processor script, written in mawk. I also have a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
8 Replies
DATETIMEIMMUTABLE.FORMAT(3)						 1					       DATETIMEIMMUTABLE.FORMAT(3)

DateTime::format - Returns date formatted according to given format

Object oriented style

SYNOPSIS
public string DateTime::format (string $format) DESCRIPTION
string DateTimeImmutable::format (string $format) string DateTimeInterface::format (string $format) Procedural style string date_format (DateTimeInterface $object, string $format) Returns date formatted according to given format. PARAMETERS
o $object -Procedural style only: A DateTime object returned by date_create(3) o $format - Format accepted by date(3). RETURN VALUES
Returns the formatted date string on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 DateTimeImmutable.format(3) example Object oriented style <?php $date = new DateTime('2000-01-01'); echo $date->format('Y-m-d H:i:s'); ?> Procedural style <?php $date = date_create('2000-01-01'); echo date_format($date, 'Y-m-d H:i:s'); ?> The above example will output: 2000-01-01 00:00:00 NOTES
This method does not use locales. All output is in English. SEE ALSO
date(3). PHP Documentation Group DATETIMEIMMUTABLE.FORMAT(3)